Why no haggling at RK Gun Shows?

I've gone to a few RK Gun shows here in Knoxville over the last few years. Made my first purchase from one last year. I was really surprised to see when I made my purchase there was really no haggling on price. Now, granted, I did purchase a New In Box Springfield XD9, but still, I thought there would be a little negotiation.

I got a good deal at the time, but even after my purchase was complete, I wanted to pick up a $5 small can of pepper spray for my wife, and even after spending $400+ on the gun, I still had to pay the $5 for that.

Not quite what I expected?

Can anyone fill me in?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gun dealers are like other dealers, some will haggle, some won't. I'll make an offer, if they refuse,

I'll either pay what they ask, or walk away. I usually just ask, what's your best out the door price,

and go from there.

I know of no gun show operator that regulates that.

I figure about half of the vendors have no intention of selling any of the guns they bring. Have been attending the shows for the past 3-4 years and I swear I see the same stuff over and over with the same crazy prices. I think they just like to display their gun collections and by putting over inflated prices on them it makes them think they have real valuable collections.

I've gone to a few RK Gun shows here in Knoxville over the last few years. Made my first purchase from one last year. I was really surprised to see when I made my purchase there was really no haggling on price. Now, granted, I did purchase a New In Box Springfield XD9, but still, I thought there would be a little negotiation.

I got a good deal at the time, but even after my purchase was complete, I wanted to pick up a $5 small can of pepper spray for my wife, and even after spending $400+ on the gun, I still had to pay the $5 for that.

Can anyone fill me in?

Can't speak for the pepper spray or gun show, but from working in gun shops off and on there is not much room for a store owner to negotiate on new guns. The money is made on accessories and used guns. Another good reason to sell one yourself instead of trading it in. A lot of shops offer 80% of the 80% value. Ymmv.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

• Administrator

Most firearms retailers, including those you find at gun shows, are pricing their bread and butter firearms (Glocks, M&Ps, etc.) with minimal markup in order to stay competitive with each other and with the online retailers such as Bud's. The days of haggling for a deal are almost over and rightfully so. Those guys have to make money to put food on the tables and keep their lights on.

Guest hawkeye10

I don't even try to buy guns or accessories from local gun stores or retailers at gun shows. I went to a gun store yesterday and looked at a scope I wanted, came home and bought it online. Saved almost $100. I buy from classified ads like TGO or from on line dealers. I did some trading with a TGO member last week. I got to meet and make a new friend and we both got a good deal on guns we liked. I had a table at the RK show in Hendersonville last weekend and sold three guns and some other junk. Believe me there was some haggling going on. Don

Why would a retailer just up and give away product?

How does he stay in business doing that.

But I will give it a go. Next time i am in any store after making my purchase I will pick up something else and ask if i can have it for free.

I enjoy haggling just for the fun of it. Maybe that's because of how I was raised. I don't haggle unless I'm a serious buyer, though. Times are tough. The markup on some stuff is so low that it's not realistic expect much price drop. On the other hand, I've seen some stuff that was way overpriced. When I'm at Academy Sports and see something I want, I typically use an Amazon app to photograph the bar code and I get an instant online price quote.

I was in gun store recently and saw a Mosin Nagant for $250. I bought mine from... ah, let me look up his business card... he deserves a plug... Phillip at Goodlettsville Gun Shop for less than half that when he had them on sale.

Why would a retailer just up and give away product?

How does he stay in business doing that.

But I will give it a go. Next time i am in any store after making my purchase I will pick up something else and ask if i can have it for free.

Be sure and let us know how that works out for ya...

Can anyone fill me in?

lolz...that's nothing. They had a Taurus Judge there at the show and my friend wanted it. We checked online and the price would have been $450 (with rail model) with free shipping plus $30 FFL fee. They had it at like $569 or something like that and we offered $500 and they said no and that apparently that was below their cost. So we offered $520 which was $40 more than he could get online and they still said no. Apparently, whatever price they set there is what it's going to be and nothing shy of it. I think the only people that will actually haggle with you are the actual individuals who are trying to sell their guns and even then they are pretty set in what they want.

If you want to hear about even more fun from them, go in on Saturday and Sunday and you'll notice that generally, the prices are HIGHER. I went on a Saturday once and saw a table with used P226 LEO mags for $21.99 a piece. I didn't feel like buying that day but I went back on Sunday and was going to see if he'd give me 2 for $35 to gauge his desire to sell because he had a lot of them. On Sunday, the price was now $29.99 a piece and he wouldn't budge. The best "deal" he would make was 2 for $50 and I just said screw it at that point. Hell, I can order them directly from Sig for $29 a piece with free shipping brand new.

There was also a guy and lady selling a Sig 556 SWAT model for I think $1199. They said they had to charge sales tax as well which would mean they were doing as a business but they only had that one and one other gun on the table (a really good deal on a Sig P226..brand new for $700). I picked that rifle up and almost gave myself a panic attack as I actually considered paying their price. So I walked away and came back like 5 minutes later and made them an offer they refused. I offered them $1100 out the door for the rifle cash and told them if they accepted I would leave go to the bank and be right back in about 15 minutes. They declined. It happens though.

However, there's another guy that went to a gun show and got a P229 Elite Dark for $810 so it's just a matter of who you're dealing with apparently. Some people will haggle and some won't.

Edited by wcsc12
Guest twpayne75

I'm not much of a haggler. I look at the price, if I'm willing to pay it I buy, if not I keep moving.

Now if I'm selling something I will add just a bit of room to come down. Everybody seems to want something off. Sometimes I feel if I was giving something away, someone would come along and ask me what I would give them to take it.

I find it really annoying when you have something listed for sale and someone makes an absolutely stupid offer on it. Then you reply what the lowest you can take for it. They say they don't have that much. Lesson here is don't be shopping for Wilson Combats when you can afford a Jennings.

for those of you going to the knoxville gunshow this weekend stop by my place i will haggle over the unpassed out candy i have left from last night

The hydraulic hose shop I use had a bowl of it out for free today. Will you beat that deal? Will you actually pay me to take away the candy you bought? ;)

For those of you that will be at the show in Knoxville, do stop by and see David. He's a good guy, and will take care of you on reloading stuff. Once I get things settled down, (and get time to reload again) I need to get some powder from him.