Your prized possession?

Sandman

Here's the situation:

Your house is on fire and you only have time to get one single item. Your wife has managed to save the kids, the dogs, the car keys, all your spare cash, and all the photos you would ever want and now you have time to get one thing. What is it?

For me, it's my Taylor 814-CE that my mom bought me on my 21st birthday. I use to play all the time but life has gotten in the way. I will get it out every once in awhile and play knowing it's always in tune. Last night, I even gave her a waxing.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have acually thought about that quite a bit & I would like to know that I could keep a straight enough mind to go in & get one thing. I kina dout that I could do it. Most of my prizzed peices are setting right together. I could acually grab a couple.

My old 12 string is setting beside my gun cabinet that has a glass front on it. Inside tha cabinet is the rem.700 7mm Mag that was my brothers favorite. I would make sure to get it with one hand. I think my guitar would fit nicely in the other hand.

On second thought they are all beside a window! :up:

My external hard drive.

Everything else can be replaced by the insurance company, but all the documentation is on that drive.

This about Sum's it up ...

I back up everything on my ext HD about once a month. I grab that, and I'm fine. Everything else can be replaced.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I guess my Christmas present to myself needs to be an external HD.

I have thought about this before and since most everything that we have of any sentimental value and things like cameras and the wife's jewelry are already in the safe I doubt that I would have the time to get it open and be able to carry that stuff out. I dont have the very best safe in the world but it also was not a cheap one. I can only hope that the things in it would survive. Given the response time when my neighbor had a kitchen fire a few months ago I should not have anything to worry about.

So I figure that I would grab my laptop and the tower for the kids desktop as both are close to just inside the front door, if my son's laptop is where he normally uses it, it would also be within quick reach.

As for pictures, Our walls are covered with them. Some have been scanned into the computer and others have not as they are too big for my scanner. I really need to take those down and to Kinkos or somewhere and get them scanned because there is no way that I would have time in a fire to be grabbing all the pics off of the walls and even if I did it would take several trips.

Other than those pics that could not be replaced everything else is just "Stuff" as much as it would stink to lose it the OP stated all the things that are truly important were already saved and that alone would be a Blessing. But like someone else said I have the pics and specs of guns and other things on this computer so it needs to be saved also.

External HD's are very reasonable these days and I have been thinking about getting one. The thing is that is all I have done so far is think about it.:up: As the funny man once said I need to just Git-R-Done.;)

wife then the Dogs and try and grab my insurance papers very important ,father-in-law had a house fire one time and the whole house burned the insurance co. tryed to say a lot of diff things that wasn't in his policy that would not be covered luckily. he had his insurance papers in a bank safety deposite box and oh yea it was all covered . the insurance wanted him to produce it thinking it had burned up in the fire. then when he did produce it Thay said we must have looked up the wrong. person and Thay where sorry ,I BET

External HD's are very reasonable these days and I have been thinking about getting one. The thing is that is all I have done so far is think about it.:rolleyes: As the funny man once said I need to just Git-R-Done.;)

I just got finished writing a lengthy email to my 83 year old father on how to back-up when he gets the external hard drive he just ordered.

My sister was visiting friends near Houston and while they were gone someone kicked in the door. All they took was my sisters laptop and camera and a gun from the bedroom. It got my father’s attention as she lost all her pictures. I kept telling them both that waiting until you need a back-up plan won’t end well. Everything’s gone; I see it happen all the time.

• Admin Team

External hard drives are great for getting stuff off of your primary machine, but really aren't that responsive to total loss events. If you have a fire, theft or whatever your external hard drive may burn up alongside your computer.

You can do several things to address this. One, get the external drive offsite once you're done copying your stuff to it. Give it to a friend, put it in a safety depsoit box, whatever... Better yet, big drives are cheap enough now that you can realistically have two if you shop around. Keep one onsite and rotate it out with your friend or family member once a month or so. Best yet, consider an online service like Carbonite. That way your house can burn up and you can focus on grabbing something more important than your computer.

I can get everything that means anything to me in one load. Maybe not a light load, but I can do it. There's no real permanence to my existence. I figure in a fire I'm going to lose some single shot shotguns and what not but nothing of future significant value to me.

I've been toying with the idea of keeping a two wheeler tucked under one of those thin stack-on cabinets, keeping my stuff in there, and in the event of an emergency; Pull, kick, shove and go daddy go!

BOB is in the car.

Important firearms and paperwork are protected from fire.

EDC bag with all my EDC items are always ready at the door.

Data is stored offsite.

If the wife saved the pets then I guess I will have to be kinda weird and say my bean-filled stuffed rabbit my late uncle gave to me when I was a child (the Beretta he left me is in the EDC bag). It has sat on my nightstand for almost 40 years. Odd to see such a childish thing sitting next to a 38 or 9mm, but it's important to me.

Edited by Baron