.380 vs .38+p........... ? which is more lethal ?

SonnyCrockett

Guest cardcutter
Worse revolver issue I ever had was with a Taurus S&W knockoff .38 snub, if you pulled the trigger just right and let off and pulled again it would lock up tight and until you manually cocked the hammer you couldnt do anything with it. The chances of it happening in real life was nil, you had to try to make it do it, but ti was till there.

I have had the same thing happen with my M&P m10 smith. You are right you have to work at it to make it happen.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What .380s are blow backs? I only know one for sure, the Hi-Point.

- OS

I think just about all pistols where the barrel is fixed to the frame are blowbacks. That includes both the Sig P230 and P232 as well as the Walther PP derivatives and all their clones. I honestly don't know of a .380 that isn't a blowback, but since I dislike the caliber, I'm not all that up on it. The cut off seems to be the 9mm Para. since the Makarov is a blowback as well.

My point being that all this pontificating on which caliber is better is virtually meaningless. Worry about good hits on the target. Everything else is largely irrelevant.

You're correct from the standpoint that pretty much everyone here has their mind made up about which one is the more adequate caliber before the question is even asked. Too bad that many won't even look at ballistics testing or do their own testing, rather, what they end up doing is based on convenience, comfort, and personal preference.

Here's a question that may help with your question... Which would you rather be shot with?

Are we talking face nuts or throat? I usually tell people to carry 9mm or larger, but I understand some of the discussion here. All my defensive weapons are .40 and my range/ competition guns are 9mm. My carry weapon is a Glock 27 .40, but sometimes I just want light and simple so I put the wife's Ruger LCR .38 in a jacket or pants front pocket.

The Sig 238 is a locked breech design; as is the Kahr 380, the Ruger LCP, the Kel-Tek and several of the newer models of the 380 breed. The Walther ppk, pp, and all their variants are blowback designs. It's no problem to rack the slide on my SIG.

leroy

Guest Roadkill Bill

We have a P3AT, LCP, and a 638. Which is more lethal? The one you can hit with, and for me the only one that doesn't hurt to shoot is the 638. Both of the .380s are punishing to shoot. The .38 I can shoot all day.