One in the chamber a no-go at Bass Pro...

...according to one of their employees today. While searching for a case for checking a gun as airline baggage in the near future, an employee explained that a customer once removed his handgun from his holster to see how it would fit a certain case. The employee stated that this guy actually had a round in the chamber! At this point, I thought, "Wow, what a dunce for un-holstering his gun in the store." However, the employee thought he was crazy for carrying a loaded gun. He went on to explain that customers must inform someone at the store that they have a gun upon arrival and that they are not allowed to have a round in the chamber. I replied that he meant guns that were going to have a scope mounted, worked on, etc. He said that, no, it pertained to people with carry permits as well. When I asked him if this was posted anywhere near the entrance, he replied, "No, but anyone with a carry permit should be smart enough to know that you can't just walk around in the store with a round in the chamber." I started to inform him of how wrong he was, etc., but thought better of it and ended the conversation by simply replying, "Wow, I didn't know that." I decided not to go all it's-our-2A-rights-as-Americans and leave well enough alone because, for all I know, this sheep could have been the store manager and might push to get the place posted or some hideous rule like he was describing. I double checked the front doors on the way out and saw nothing about guns.

Ignorance is bliss.

• Like 1
Guest Catfish36
You're right NRA, not heavy enough to be a boat anchor. But I have run across this in several gun shops.

I have only seen a sign posted on one gun shop. The one on Alcoa Hwy in Knoxville across from CourtSouth. I think it reads "no loaded weapons". I found this rather odd. Are they not aware of who their customers are???

Anyway, You probably did the right thing by dropping it..even though I am not sure I would have been able to keep my mouth shut. Hopefully this is just the ignorance and misunderstanding of one lone mistaken employee and not an actual store policy.

He was probably a member of the so-called "Winchester 94 crowd." Don't get me wrong, I have a 94 in the safe. These folks believe it is their God-given right to own a deer rifle or shotgun, but privately scoff at the notion of regular folks carrying a handgun. We got into a discussion about IDPA and USPSA and I asked him if he shot handguns. He replied that he did not, but that he hunted a lot. It wasn't mere ignorance of the law or the store's rules; I got the feeling that he thought anyone who carried anywhere with one in the pipe was a little crazy. From my experience, there are more Model 94 types than one would think.

...He went on to explain that customers must inform someone at the store that they have a gun upon arrival and that they are not allowed to have a round in the chamber....He said that, no, it pertained to people with carry permits as well. When I asked him if this was posted anywhere near the entrance, he replied, "No, but anyone with a carry permit should be smart enough to know that you can't just walk around in the store with a round in the chamber."...... Ignorance is bliss.

I would more likely expect to find a vegetarian cooking at Outback Steakhouse.

Some businesses prefer that you not handle a loaded weapon in their store, that I can understand.

Eh, I had a paint guy at Lowes tell me I don't need to have my primer tinted. I just nod and continue with what I was going to do anyway. If they want to be ignorant, let 'em. It's only gonna irritate you that they won't listen.

Doubt very seriously that it's a Bass Pro Shop policy. Rather, the delusions in the fevered mind of one sub-par employee.

Regardless, I don't show or handle my loaded concealed carry weapon in a store unless it's out and firing at a robber or some such.

If I'd gone in planning to look at a holster, I'd test fit the holster on the store's unloaded copy of my weapon; no need for them to see my weapon.

• Like 2
Is this an analogy of their mental state?

Sent from my Mom's basement

Mine perhaps.

My rant is that, like Dicks, the staff is typically not particularly informed about what they sell and as such like to lord their presumed authority over the customer. Then again, perhaps I'm just a jackass.