Gunshot Heard Around the Gun Show

He did many things wrong. I don't know what model gun he was carrying, but I would bet that it was a trigger safety "safety-less" gun. I would never carry a gun without a safety. I know, "the best safety is between your ears" Bla bla bla. IMHO they are dangerous.

At the same time I'd never carry a firearm with a manual safety :) f I need my firearm, I want it to go bang everytime I pull the trigger no matter what I forget to do :) I can't count the number of times I've seen guys pull firearms in training, and pull the trigger and nothing happens... I'd HATE to have it happen to me when I really needed my gun... I'm assuming from this stance you wouldn't carry a revolver either?

I think you are falling into the trap of believing a sign makes a difference.

I am unmovable in my belief that every time a sign is posted I am in more danger.

I hear what you're saying, and I disagree.

I'm not talking about a restaurant, or a bar, or a park, or a beach, or a library. I'm talking about a gun show where people are handling guns 100% of the time. Put plainly, I don't trust anyone. If I'm standing at a table looking at beef jerky and beanie babies and there's some nozzle to my left looking at a pistol, how many times will he point it at me? Lots, right? We all know the conversations that go on at gun shops, gun shows, and barbeques... guys have to talk about their gun, and the only thing better than talking about their gun is showing you their gun. We've all seen a loaded gun come out of a holster and get handled. I'm going to make a safe bet here and say that this is exactly what the dealer shot himself was doing. This crap happens at gun shows and it's why I'm okay with them stopping people at the door who have exposed guns to make sure they're not loaded and/or tie-wrapping them "safe."

This all said, I take my right to defend myself with my firearm extremely seriously, and that's where we agree. If you put a sign up, I'm going to ignore it, but you're also not going to see my firearm... EVER... unless it's out of the holster and being fired at a bad guy. I'm not scared of guns in holsters under shirts, because they don't exist.

well i was about 10-15 feet from where the gun went off .it scared me pretty bad ,it happens every once and a while and is usually a cop or a dealer.i dont want to infrenge on anybodys rights but gunshows are not places for loaded guns dealers customers if they are too scared to unload there gun then they dont need to go in.it always seems when there is a gun to go off its because someone pulls out their carry gun.in the this case the kimber had no mag in it he had took it out pulled it out to show another person pulled the trigger and it went off the sad thing i saw him pull it out several times last weekend.i am glad it was pointed down. i dont know of any show excpt bob popes former show in franklin where it was ok to carry and that was because of his cousin buford tune who was and is a big shot in the tfa.i know a lot of you dont like how i feel abou this but i go to a gunshow every week and see about 1-2 ada a year

He did many things wrong. I don't know what model gun he was carrying, but I would bet that it was a trigger safety "safety-less" gun. I would never carry a gun without a safety. I know, "the best safety is between your ears" Bla bla bla. IMHO they are dangerous.

Ummm so you never carry that revolver pictured in your avatar?

This coming from a person with a "safety-less" revolver in their profile pic...

Ummm so you never carry that revolver pictured in your avatar?

Wow, you fecal-heads really impress me. If you need me to explain the difference in double action and single action, please PM me. I don't think the other members need that lesson. I have nothing against a Glock (for a range gun). I just have never had a "coherent" explanation of the purpose or practical use of a trigger safety.

Wow, you fecal-heads really impress me. If you need me to explain the difference in double action and single action, please PM me. I don't think the other members need that lesson. I have nothing against a Glock (for a range gun). I just have never had a "coherent" explanation of the purpose or practical use of a trigger safety.

I don't need a lesson, but last I checked a revolver has no safety on it. The only safety is the heavier trigger pull. I still don't see the reason to knock firearms with no safety on them. My Sig, Berretta and Glock have no safety and somehow I've managed never to shoot myself with them. The same type of person that would shoot themselves with a Glock is probably the same type of person that would shoot themselves with a 1911, which seems to be the weapon in this case.

If you lack the confidence in yourself to handle a weapon that has no safety then I'm glad you were able to make that self-assessment. Knowing your limitations is a very mature and responsible thing. But just because you can't handle it doesn't mean you should start spouting off about how the G19 I carry is somehow more dangerous than whatever it is you carry. It's the ignorance of the user that makes it dangerous, not the actual firearm.

"Fecal-heads"? You sure you're old enough to own a pistol 'cause that's some kid stuff right there.

It's nothing more than having a system where a weapon is prevented from firing unless the trigger is depressed in a manner consistent with an intentional pull of said trigger. The intended upside is that one doesn't have to train to manipulate a safety while facing a rather time intensive/high stress/life-and-death situation. Some simply aren't comfortable without that added step.

The real upshot in weapon safety however doesn't change with weapon platform; far and away the biggest "safety" involved with ANY weapon is between the ears of the user.

Carry what you want. I really don't care. I still have not had a "coherent" explanation of what happen with a unintentional trigger pull. Like what would happen at 2:00AM with someone that just broke in you house and running down your hallway and your finger goes UNINTENTIONALLY in the trigger guard and the gun goes off. The bullet goes God only knows where, and the gun's recoil sends it under the bed. NOW, what would you give for a gun with a true safety?

"Fecal-heads"? You sure you're old enough to own a pistol 'cause that's some kid stuff right there.

As far as this goes. I'm not even going to acknowledged this idiot.

Edited by waldo
Guest A10thunderbolt

When I pick up a gun I always have my index finger raised so I don't inadvertently stick it in the trigger guard. I don't put my finger on the trigger until I am pointing in a direction I feel comfortable shooting in. May sound Stupid but That is the way I was tough.

Carry what you want. I really don't care. I still have not had a "coherent" explanation of what happen with a unintentional trigger pull. Like what would happen at 2:00AM with someone that just broke in you house and running down your hallway and your finger goes UNINTENTIONALLY in the trigger guard and the gun goes off. The bullet goes God only knows where, and the gun's recoil sends it under the bed. NOW, what would you give for a gun with a true safety?

As far as this goes. I'm not even going to acknowledged this idiot.

I will carry what I want (well, there's a few things I want I'd like to carry but don't have...maybe someday) thank you, as I assume you will.

"I just have never had a "coherent" explanation of the purpose or practical use of a trigger safety."

I gave you a quite coherent and congenial explanation of the purpose of a trigger safety.

As for your hypothetical 2:00 AM scenario (which moved the goal posts from your original statement) you have perfectly described a negligent discharge which has always been and shall ever be USER ERROR. For that matter once you invoke the "unintentional" you are logically bound to it's application in all directions. For instance, what if you had "unintentionally" left the safety off to begin with? For that matter, what if you "unintentionally" forget to take the safety off in the stress of the moment and get yourself killed? (See how hypotheticals work?) How many ND's have 1911's accounted for over the years (including the subject of this thread) which have a manual AND passive (grip) safety? In fact, while we're on a roll, how about all those rifle/shotgun ND's? ALL of those involved weapons with manual safties.

Look, if YOU are uncomfortable without a manual safety it's no big deal...your weapon choice is yours. Your problem is that you came here with this; "I don't know what model gun he was carrying, but I would bet that it was a trigger safety "safety-less" gun." and were wrong. I'm not going to give you a hard time about it but you were wrong. Then you doubled down by casting derisions on a whole swath of weapon platforms and by association (intentional or not) those who would carry them. Sorry dude, but taking heat for that isn't something you get to play "victim" over.

• Like 2

...running down your hallway and your finger goes UNINTENTIONALLY in the trigger guard and the gun goes off....

Which, IMO, goes back to the 1911 platform being 'safer' as one also has to disengage the thumb safety. It amazes me the number of surveys I've seen that ask 'when do you take the safety off when presenting on the draw'? and many answer as soon as it clears leather. Which makes it even more amazing that this ND occurred. But I digress, regardless of the platform of modern pistols, the safety mechanism can always be overridden by stupidity.

Alright, I have to admit that I have been gasn' "a little bit". I would advise you to be careful

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/safety-warning-worn-leather-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/

Carry what you want. If a Glock had a 1911 style safety, I would carry one. I think they are great. I guess it just comes down to what you

are accustomed with.

It was said that dude at the show had a kimber 1911. Obviously it happened when he went to unload it. If the safety is on, it can not go off.

He is and was an idiot. I guess that is my point. Peace out.