Ugliest little revolver out there...

Ramjo

...is the Chiappa Rhino, but in its case, there is clearly a function over form quality going for it.

I got to handle one today at Shooter's Edge in Piney Flats, and I must say that I was thoroughly impressed. I have always thought that was the ugliest and weirdest revolver with its under barrel design. It performs like a champ.

Chambered for .357, there is almost no recoil, especially with .38s. The angle of the grip and the barrel being flip flopped puts all the force of the shot straight into the palm of your hand and therefore eliminates muzzle climb. Double action pull is smooth, lighter than a Smith's and single action is very similar to a Smith and Wesson revolver. The hammer is kinda weird due to the fact that when you cock it, the hammer does not stay back like traditional designs, and before you ask, yes there is a cocking indicator so you would know if it was cocked or not. ;)

They come in various barrel lengths and, personally, I would carry one for personal protection. The smooth operation makes it very hard to miss your target, let alone come off target. This revolver would definitely please any recoil sensitive shooters out there.

This particular version has the top and bottom rails.

50DS-2.jpg

They are somewhat pricey, though now I see why. Probably will pick one up in the future.

Thanks for reading,

Joe

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scramasax

I you want to talk BUTT UGLY look a some of the pinfire antques. I have two 5" Rhinos. I've put over 300 rds each down range. Bullits from 125-158 magnums down to 38spl midrange wadcutters. Wish these were around when I shot Bullseye. Fastest double actions I haveevershot. Muzzle rise less than my model 27 Smiths.

They don't have the grace of my triplelocks, but the look, Like new cars, will grow on your when you use them.

Cheers,

ts

Well Chiappa currently make 2" 4" 5" and 6" models in a few different finishes. The Rhino is also constructed of a high tensile strength aluminum alloy and carbon steel. It's as light as feather compared to other 357s. The reason the Rhino is so expensive is because it is CNC machined out of a solid block of aluminum, as well as the components. GunsAmerica prices range from $695-$899 depending on finish and barrel length.

Guest Loki1967

Does anyone else think that this pistol is unusually loud? I was at an indoor range the other day shooting my XD(M) 45 and yes I had full hearing protection on, and the guy in the next lane fired one of these and i thought he was shooting a 12 gauge over there....

I am thinking that 2" might be the ticket for somthing more concealable for me, nice to see they have holsters for it listed on thier site at a reasonable price.

Does anyone else think that this pistol is unusually loud? I was at an indoor range the other day shooting my XD(M) 45 and yes I had full hearing protection on, and the guy in the next lane fired one of these and i thought he was shooting a 12 gauge over there....

a 2" barrel is surprisingly loud even in .38. remember you are at an angle for maximum concussion when standing in the lane next to the shooter.

im assuming it was the small 2" version

I think the idea of the barrel firing from the bottom cylinder to reduce muzzle flip and so on is a neat idea and design. The deal killer for me, though, is that - unless I am totally mistaken - the Rhino is actually striker fired. I am not even really that big on striker fired semiautos much less a revolver.

Guest JHansonLPN
I think the idea of the barrel firing from the bottom cylinder to reduce muzzle flip and so on is a neat idea and design. The deal killer for me, though, is that - unless I am totally mistaken - the Rhino is actually striker fired. I am not even really that big on striker fired semiautos much less a revolver.

"the single action is actuated by a hammer cocking device that engages the unexposed hammer to prepare to fire. " Chiappa Firearms

The Idea of the underbarrel is to reduce the "Bore Axis" or the height of the muzzle over the shooters hand, which is the primary factor in muzzle flip. As ugly as this gun is, somebody went to a lot of trouble to do some great engineering. I want one or three! Ya'll stay safe.