300.00 milsurp rifle

Guest Bowdenknxvll

Guest Bowdenknxvll

What rifle would you buy with 300.00? I don't own any milsurps and have been wanting one for awhile. I will just be using it for the occasional range session so I guess I would prefer something that is more accurate in that price range. I don't care about weight. I was thinking the K31. Any suggestions?

You can get a nice SKS for around that price. If you prefer a bolt action, look for an Ishapore in 7.62 NATO. Or you can get a Mosin for around $100 and buy a bunch of ammo. The K31 rifles are nice, but the ammo is a little more pricey and harder to find that the 7.62x39, 7.62x54R or the 7.62 NATO.

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

Get an M39 Mosin. Should be able to find a nice for under 300.00. These are heads and tails above a 91/30 in quality and fantastic shooters. Will also appreciate in value as time goes on more than a 91/30. Also look at the Swedish M96 Mauser in 6.5x55 or any of the Swiss rifles. The quality, fit and finish as well as the accuracy of their rifles are far and above any of the other more common mil-surps.

• Like 1

K31. Hands down my most accurate milsurp rifle. I have many Mosins and a few Garands and cannot say I've hit a paper plate at 300 yards w/ them but have with my K31. They are VERY accurate.

True they are, but ALL those rifles are capable. Problem is military ammo sucks. The Swiss made REALLY nice ammo. With the right ammo almost all the other military rifles will do about as good. Admittedly though, none have the cool straight pull though. That's just awesome.

I'd 2nd the K31. That's if you can find one for $300. It wasn't too long ago they were everywhere, but they are becomming more and more scarce and expensive. If you have your C&R FFL, you'll have an easier time finding one in that price range.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

All fine suggestions so far. Also consider a Yugo M48 if want want a Mauser style rifle. Those can be found under $300 and most are in like new condition. Surplus 8mm is still available if you look hard enough.

Edited by Garufa

I prefer mauer to mosin. For 300 you can get a heck of a mixmaster shooter (basically mismatched good quality parts rather than all matched and beat up (or all matched and worth a ton of money)) or a garage gunsmith model (hacked up, polished, and ruined but still a heck of a shooter). You can get, for example, a used mitchels mauser for around that once the owner realises its not collectable -- these look nice, if you are into that.

One thin not considered in these suggestions is the cost of ammo.

With the Swiss is you will be paying better than .50c/rd unless you reload. May be a good choice after you've built up a collection but excellent Czech, Yugo and German Mausers are still available for under $300. I have an Imperial era Czech made for Persia 98/29. I also prefer a pistol grip in an old Mauser not a straight stock. You see em on Gunboards or you could just get one from Samco https://www.samcoglo...ifles-2010.html . But good 8mm is getting expensive too.

You got a great suggestion up the thread. The Finnish M39 Mosin is a spectacular rifle. I have one on the way to me. I paid $300. I think the Russians, while accurate, feel like crap and the trigger pull is like that of a Red Ryder BB gun. Believe me. I have both. These folks have been selling am for years http://www.gunsnammo.com/ but they are probably 20% overpriced compared to the plentiful $300-350 specimens you see on the forum marketplaces. Plus Finnish Mosin's have such cool blotchy stocks. Try using this to search the forums for rifles http://www.riverofgu...l?s=Finnish+M39

7.64x54r is respectably accurate milsurp ammo in a good bolt gun and is still available cheap from several outlets. http://www.copesdist...sty-p-4654.html Copes puts 440rd (slightly rusted) tins on sale every month or so. I got some and the rounds were still just as clean and fresh as the day that Soviet Citizen packed em up so nicely for me. So what that if its corrosive. Run a watery patch down the bore within a day or two of shooting, dry, and clean as usual. Pfff .16c/rd ??? No brainer. Get two tins for $130 bucks and your good for a year or so.

I'd like an Enfield one day as well but I don't reload yet and THAT ammo is a fortune at.75c/rd.

Look for ammo prices here http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php

Edited by GS455

All fine suggestions so far. Also consider a Yugo M48 if want want a Mauser style rifle. Those can be found under $300 and most are in like new condition. Surplus 8mm is still available if you look hard enough.

Lets not forget the budget, the yugo would fit the bill. The k98 a bit out of this budget

there are 2 things about the ammo, the price and the ability to reload it. Some of the calibers are hard to find dies and brass for. Some are hard to find ammo for. Last ammo I saw for my 7.65 mauser at a gun show was $40 for 20, though there is some online its still a good $1 a shot and more. I have never seen a reloadable piece of brass for a mosin nor anyone having a fire sale on dies for the caliber. I dunno how hard that may be to get but I think most shooters are still on the cheap surplus ammo --- which is not being made any more.

Research the ammo issue for sure.

Many, many old guns have been butchered to use modern calibers, like 30-06 and 308. If ammo is a problem and you do not reload, look for a hack job.

My wish list would be a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55, a Finn Mosin Nagant and the Swiss K-31. All those have a coolness factor for me that outclasses anything else, but a Springfield. You ain't going to get a Springfield for 300 bucks though.

Either the Finnish M39 Mosin or the Swiss K31 would be my choice.

M39: Known for accuracy, best of all the Mosin models. Still an excellent valu for $250 or less. While you can shoot cheap surplus ammo for plinking, you will probably want to spend some money on Wolf Gold or similar ammo for best accuracy.

K31: The Swiss Watch of bolt-actions! Amazingly fast and slick straight-pull action. Probably the highest standard of manufacture of any rifle you are likely to ever own. Swiss ammo is also very high quality and you will want to buy at least 100rds as it will be a serious collector's item some day (as will the rifle). Prvi also makes good ammo.

Both of these rifles were made in relatively small quantities and we are unlikely to ever see any more imports. If you are going to shoot a lot, get the M39 as you can shoot inexpensive surplus ammo. If your goal is accuracy or appreciation of excellent machinery, the K31 will please you.

The price on both will only continue to climb.