The Garden Thread

• Admin Team

We’re really in the money on strawberries.

I wintered some, and they’ve really taken off this spring. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I only picked enough for 4 pints...but these are my first canned of this season!  Spicy little devils... they're cooling off now. Gonna be good in about 4 weeks.  

I had to work this past weekend so just catching up. It looks like everyone is staying busy and doing quite well! 👍 Interesting concept Jon! Thank you for the vid. I might give this a shot.  Much

We picked our sweet corn last night, before the coons ate all of it. We're putting it up now. BUNCH of friggin' corn! I've killed 4 coons, one possum, and lost count of the crows, but haven't put

Posted Images

What are tomato and pepper plants selling for in your part of the state? A Kingsport garden center had some for 25 cents each. Some were higher.

6 hours ago, gary_boom said:

What are tomato and pepper plants selling for in your part of the state? A Kingsport garden center had some for 25 cents each. Some were higher.

Quarter a piece sounds like a good deal to me. My neighbor has a greenhouse. He sells plants, but I have no idea what for. He never lets me pay for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed! First run of beans got hit by Dogwood winter. Second run looks kinda weak... found this site:

https://m.facebook.com/plantingbysigns

And put third run of beans in Weds... right on time if this lady is to be believed. I had read about planting by the signs in that Foxfire series of books. Interested to see how this pans out, the new run of beans is right next to the weak ones that were planted in the wrong sign.

• 2 weeks later...

Pasture garden is about half planted. Neighbor brought me 20 tons of composted horse manure! Good deal for $150 and some beers. I'll drink half of them anyways...

.... its funny how 'what gets you excited' changes as you age.

White stuff is garden lime waiting to be tilled in with the horse####! Got a real pH problem.

Mostly beans and squash (what grew last year!) Got corn, cukes, melons, pumpkins and maters in that half. Other half (not shown) has more of the same plus taters, oats, peanuts and cotton.

Trying to fill out the un-planted half! Thinking I might try okra this year, except I don't like to eat it! Maybe grow it and give it away. Worst case more corn... squirrels sure seem to appreciate it when I do. 🙄

20210523_073648.jpg

• Like 1

Looking Great @ReeferMac!

Grow that Okra brother. Kosher dill pickled Okra is a delicacy where I come from...the Deep South!

Horse manure is an excellent soil additive. Well done Sir. 🙂

I envy you of the space you have. We're muddling through with our suburban raised beds.

My 2 little 12 year old fig trees are setting fruit. Now if I can only beat the birds to them as they ripen. It's about a 50/50 kinda thing. Guess we have no choice but to share LOL.

We started eating salad greens and onions last week. Sure will be glad when we have some fresh tomatoes though.

Figs 23 May 2021.jpg

Garden 23 May 2021.jpg