I knew that this would happen

I hear what you are saying. I assisted loading a magazine and observed them. I knew that they novices. I was prepared to give them any assistance that they requested. Had I not been observing their behavior I would not have noticed the shell casing or the lady waving he pistol at me and the other three guys on the range.

This type of stuff is occurring more frequently. I hope that I'm not running ouT of luck.

Guest bkelm18

I fell that we, as experienced shooters have a responsibility to help the newbies. You will probably never see those ladies shoot again.

I have no responsibility or obligation to help novices. If they were smart and felt strongly enough about it, they'd sign up for a class. If they were to ask me how and why to do something, I'd help them out, but I'm not an instructor.

I have no responsibility or obligation to help novices. If they were smart and felt strongly enough about it, they'd sign up for a class. If they were to ask me how and why to do something, I'd help them out, but I'm not an instructor.

That's exactly right. I'm only responsible for one guy. Me.

This. And I certainly have no responsibility to get shot while trying to help out a novice. Especially one I don't know and who isn't hot.

There is a guy on the Kel Tec site who was recently shot in the leg by someone he was teaching 'the ropes' when a piece of hot brass went down her shirt and she started waving the gun around like a ninnie. I really don't get such an over-reaction. I have had hot brass go down the back of the collar on a shirt and I didn't start waving the gun around, etc. Hell, when my dad was still alive I used to help him out, sometimes, by holding things in place while he cut them with a torch or welded them. I remember doing so starting when I was about twelve or thirteen. You want to talk hot, let a little sliver of glowing hot metal 'pop' up and go down your shirt or slide down inside your glove (I'm sure there are some metal workers here who know exactly what I am talking about) then talk to me about hot brass - and even then I didn't dance around and act like an idiot.

I have no problem offering unsolicitated assistance when I feel it is 1) necessary, 2) it would actually help, 3) it is in my best interests and 4) that help will not be met with some arrogant smart-ass attitude.

If you don't like the environment around you when shooting then you can pack up and leave and ruin your day....or make some effort to make sure the most basics of safety are followed.

If more people these days would actually offer to help and kindly try to show the obviously ignorant the right way to do things this would be a much better world.

All that being said, if a chick gets hot brass down her boobies you better run.

Guest bkelm18

I have no problem offering unsolicitated assistance when I feel it is 1) necessary, 2) it would actually help, 3) it is in my best interests and 4) that help will not be met with some arrogant smart-ass attitude.

If you don't like the environment around you when shooting then you can pack up and leave and ruin your day....or make some effort to make sure the most basics of safety are followed.

If more people these days would actually offer to help and kindly try to show the obviously ignorant the right way to do things this would be a much better world.

All that being said, if a chick gets hot brass down her boobies you better run.

There are plenty of people willing to help beginners. They are called instructors.

I like to look at young women as much as the next guy, but given a novice shooter young woman with a low cut dress and a brass ejecting semi-auto and you could see this coming a mile off. This might be something to warn them about . . . up front . . . to save them a lot of grief later, as well as getting sweeped with a loaded weapon.

And besides, given a little discretion and picking your words carefully, how else are you - a relative stranger - otherwise going to be able to talk to a young woman about her breasts. And who wouldn't want to, given a relatively honorable excuse?

"Hey Miss! Sure is good to see young women out shooting! Warms my heart that you can protect yourself. I've got a daughter just about your age. Been shooting long? Uh, you know, you might want to button up your shirt a little. That semi-auto of yours spits out hot brass, you don't want to get it into, ah, crevices in your skin, or under your shirt, might leave a mark, you know. Want to borrow my jacket? . . . Hey, we can zip it up reaaaaaaal tight around your neck . . . Yeah that'll work. No, yeah, I think it's a good look for you! Wouldn't want you to get hurt or nothing."

(You want me to buy you an ice-cream when you're done shooting? No? Hey, just thought I'd make the offer!)

I think a better way to word that would be "be careful with that because the spent casings can burn skin." Hopefully, but not likely, they will get the message.

Don't want to come across as a range lizard you know... ;)

Edited by gjohnsoniv

I think a better way to word that would be "be careful with that because the spent casings can burn skin." Hopefully, but not likely, they will get the message.

Don't want to come across as a range lizard you know... ;)

Agreed. Fun to think about, not so much fun to say!

Edited by QuietDan

This happened to my wife while taking her permit test. She had a full collar t-#### on at the time. When she took a shooting stance and extended her arms, a opening at the top of the t-shirt was created. .22 brass ran right down there. Thankfully, we had talked about it and she remained calm. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why she immediatly dropped the mag and racked the slide while shooting--then i heard about it..........

Right, but sadly, as gun owners, we are all lumped in together. If we can help new people to enjoy and be safe in their first experience, maybe we won't see on the news that yet another idiot shoots another at a gun range. Also, the more people we can get to enjoy shooting, the stronger our pro 2nd amendment stance will be.

Let me explain why I feel this way. Not so much in Tennessee but in a lot of the other states if a first grader draws a picture of a gun he gets suspended from school. If a 3 grader, on the playground, points his index finger at another child with his thumb in the air he's expelled from school for bringing a gun to school. Think I'm kidding? It happened to kids at Bridgetown elementary in Cincinnati. Mom and dad took the school to court and won. The child had to do that grade over because it took almost a year for the incident to come to court. It cost mom and dad a boatload of bucks and junior a year of school. The school didn't care. They had all of our money to use for a defense. Back to the golden rule,[Those with the gold make the rules]

I remember a time when people helped each other out just because. Something about a golden rule or something. Nowadays people are so self involved, they don't care about anyone else at all.