What Happened to Dick's Sporting Goods?

The one in Knox on N Peters Rd.

They used to occasionally have decent sales on ammo. So I went in there the other day to kill some time and I couldn't find ammo or guns. I know where the gun counter used to be. It wasn't there. I walked around the perimeter a couple times in case they just moved it. Still couldn't find the goods.

Did I just get lost? When did they stop selling guns?

Will

P.S. I'm gonna feel really stupid if they're still selling shootin' stuff and I didn't find it.

They got rid of it all when academy came to town. The Dicks in Alcoa still carries hunting/gun stuff.

Actually, the Peters Rd. store dumped all guns/ammo/hunting/fishing a year or so before Academy ever opened. Maybe more; the Academy hadn't even been announced yet at the time.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

They suck. Pretty much always have.

They used to run occasional ammo specials that were cheaper than Wally's, some rifles about as cheap as any other brick and mortar, like Ruger and Marlin.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

It's sort of odd that a store that already carries firearms/ammo, etc would stop carrying it during a time (since '08 actually) that sales of both have been going so strong. :screwy:

Wasn't only that. Dropped anything vaguely related to hunting period. Also most knives. And all fishing tackle, too.

- OS

The one in Knox on N Peters Rd.

They used to occasionally have decent sales on ammo. So I went in there the other day to kill some time and I couldn't find ammo or guns. I know where the gun counter used to be. It wasn't there. I walked around the perimeter a couple times in case they just moved it. Still couldn't find the goods.

Did I just get lost? When did they stop selling guns?

Will

P.S. I'm gonna feel really stupid if they're still selling shootin' stuff and I didn't find it.

I honestly don't know but I know that now, all Dick's ammo is now in Aloca. I don't know why but they claimed it was due to the "remodel" and they put something else where the hunting section used to be.

They got rid of it all when academy came to town. The Dicks in Alcoa still carries hunting/gun stuff.

When did Academy open up?

Actually, the Peters Rd. store dumped all guns/ammo/hunting/fishing a year or so before Academy ever opened. Maybe more; the Academy hadn't even been announced yet at the time.

- OS

I thought that was the case but couldn't remember.

Edited by wcsc12
Guest Victor9er

I walked into a Dick's a couple of weeks ago here in Chatt and they still had guns & accessories for sale. Though to be honest I was just curious to see what they had there. I usually just go to my favorite gun shop or Sprotsman's Warehouse if I'm looking to buy something.

Just whatever you do stay the hell away from Kohls...

stay-away-from-this-kohls.jpg

:stunned:

- OS

This. I was in there when they were getting rid of the hunting/fishing section. I was told that, in that store, they had found that they could make more money by expanding the softball/soccer/league sports sections due to all the various school affiliated and private leagues in the area.

This. I was in there when they were getting rid of the hunting/fishing section. I was told that, in that store, they had found that they could make more money by expanding the softball/soccer/league sports sections due to all the various school affiliated and private leagues in the area.

Someone epic failed at market research. If that stuff is not profitable, sportsmans' would have closed their doors years ago. Their guns & hunting fill about 1/4 of the store (more if you count the clothing) and support at least 8 clerks/whatever they people in the department. It seems to be quite profitable. Kids sports may be big money, but ammo is also big money, its a consumed product that people constantly want more of and of those who buy it, a lot of them will buy some each month. And if you buy ammo, you will look at the guns if they have one. You might buy targets cause they are handy. I think the kids sports thing was a cop out, throwing in the towel because they cannot compete with {sportsmans, academy, wallmart, local shops, etc} on guns for whatever reason (greed, mismangement, unable to attract customers, etc).

Someone epic failed at market research. If that stuff is not profitable, sportsmans' would have closed their doors years ago. Their guns & hunting fill about 1/4 of the store (more if you count the clothing) and support at least 8 clerks/whatever they people in the department. It seems to be quite profitable. Kids sports may be big money, but ammo is also big money, its a consumed product that people constantly want more of and of those who buy it, a lot of them will buy some each month. And if you buy ammo, you will look at the guns if they have one. You might buy targets cause they are handy. I think the kids sports thing was a cop out, throwing in the towel because they cannot compete with {sportsmans, academy, wallmart, local shops, etc} on guns for whatever reason (greed, mismangement, unable to attract customers, etc).

You have to realize Dicks in Knoxville is on the west side near Farragut and Cedar Bluff. I totally can see way more team sports items sold there than hunting. The Maryville store still has a large selection of hunting/guns as they are in a more rural locale.

I actually worked at the DSG in 2002 while in college. The 'lodge' area had Very little business except for oct-Christmas.

I walked into a Dick's a couple of weeks ago here in Chatt and they still had guns & accessories for sale. Though to be honest I was just curious to see what they had there. I usually just go to my favorite gun shop or Sprotsman's Warehouse if I'm looking to buy something.

Just whatever you do stay the hell away from Kohls...

stay-away-from-this-kohls.jpg

:stunned:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Someone epic failed at market research. If that stuff is not profitable, sportsmans' would have closed their doors years ago. ...

Well, Sportman's is still operating under post bankruptcy arrangements, and closed many of their stores. Matter of fact, the one in 'Nooga was the southernmost one left, closed all the others -- now see they've reopened one in SC and MS (Memphis). So they did indeed "close many of their doors".

Matter of fact, I think I remember seeing that the 'Nooga store was only one left east of Miss. River period for a while after they first did the Chapter 11. There's still only 5 east of Miss. River in all now

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I avoid any "gun" place that does not sell handguns. This policy has served me well; I may miss out on the occasional cheap rifle but I can live with that.

and they keep the handgun ammo well out of your reach, literally. They suck here in Memphis too.

• Like 1