Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day

Volzfan

Guest 6.8 AR

Ha, never man. I'll disagree with you on stuff, but you're not an a$$hole. This guy here needs to strap the gloves on and go a few rounds.

I know. Just messin with ya!

RIght. You know how boring this board would be if we all agreed on everything? There's some good debates here, We can do without the other nonsense though. One thing about it though, the hammer of justice here on TGO makes Thor's hammer look like a trim carpenter's hammer.

It is very, very swift. Probably the most swift board I have even been on. Seems like every other board wants to "look into it" and make a summary judgement then hold concensus to kick someone. And I have seen that process take weeks. It is almost like they drag it out to make themselves feel like an all important ruler.

Here, when someone needs to go it is literally done in minutes and generally without much fan fair. They are posting one minute and wearing a "BANNED" badge the next.

Although it is quick and painless here I would like to see what people have to say after they get kicked. I know after agt.dealer got kicked he came into chat and appologized and basically begged for forgiveness. I actually considered forgiving his lapse in judgement but then I realized most people who will do it once will do it again. It is a self control thing and even though this internet stuff is serious business :) those who can't control themselves here probably have other, similar, issues in real life.

Dolomite

It is very, very swift. Probably the most swift board I have even been on. Seems like every other board wants to "look into it" and make a summary judgement then hold concensus to kick someone. And I have seen that process take weeks. It is almost like they drag it out to make themselves feel like an all important ruler.

Here, when someone needs to go it is literally done in minutes and generally without much fan fair. They are posting one minute and wearing a "BANNED" badge the next.

Although it is quick and painless here I would like to see what people have to say after they get kicked. I know after agt.dealer got kicked he came into chat and appologized and basically begged for forgiveness. I actually considered forgiving his lapse in judgement but then I realized most people who will do it once will do it again. It is a self control thing and even though this internet stuff is serious business :) those who can't control themselves here probably have other, similar, issues in real life.

Dolomite

Hard to say. Letereat's second ban created one of the best TGO threads of all time :)

• Like 1

Got it. You want to remove all the existing economic lifelines in America that could benefit one's spouse: social security, military death benefits, retirement pensions, annuities, you name it.

I agree that if you could do all that, then there would be no discrimination ,since no one would no longer receive any real world advantages due to marriage.

What you really aspire to thusly do is "fundamentally transform America" so that marriage no longer has meaning as a legal status, but only a religious one.

- OS

It' been my experience that what you are responding to is a fairly typical libertarian view which is one of the reasons why true libertarians an true conservatives don't really get along...their views are similar, up to a point but then diverge significantly.

• Like 1
Guest 6.8 AR

There's no real need of a benefit of marriage by the rule of law. that is what the government did when it stuck its nose under the tent

of marriage and gave a tax benefit. It also didn't need to get involved in the realm of social engineering by using Social Security to

make us all "feel" secure knowing the government would "protect" us in retirement, either. But I doubt that will change for future

generations until the bottom drops out.

We were all essentially born into SSI and have no other way to look at it now. It's like all the other laws that affect us in ways we didn't

have much of a part of, but still allow the pols add more of the same and kill our country.

The debt is now due and we are paying the price.

The other bennnies are not because they are "married". It's because the government considers it a legal union. A man and a woman can have those legal advantages, many of which are federal. No other couple, regardless of how devoted, can have any of them.

That will eventually been seen as discriminatory, if not unconstitutional via "pursuit of happiness" or some other principle.

- OS

You don't see the Establishment Clause as being the turnover?

You don't see the Establishment Clause as being the turnover?

I don't know just what justification(s) will be used, only that it's bound to happen.

Might even get triggered from a minor case example: like two guys or women of rank in military not being allowed to set up housekeeping on military base like married couples can. Can now be openly gay in military, but still can't receive same privileges as non gay. Maybe compounded by being stationed in a state which allows same sex marriage. Who knows?

Eventually the federal government will either have to cave and dictate national change for civil unions (without the term "marriage"); or go the other way and decree it to be only between a man and a woman. The second option will take a constitutional amendment though, IMO.

- OS

• Like 1

A little simplistic of an explanation but pretty much exactly. :up: The government should not be in the business of providing welfare, regardless of what pretty name you dress it up with.

You consider military pay and benefits welfare?

The term used is really of the least amount of importance. Civil union, legal union, or marriage. Call it what ever you want but people in committed long term intimate relationships are being denied equal treatment under the law. Most of the gay people i know really wouldn't care less what you titled it. And a lot of it really is the simple things, like being considered immediate family when visiting a partner in the hospital or sharing of health benefits. The military presents a unique issue in regards to housing and relocation. I would really like one good argument to be presented against gay marriage that isn't rooted in religious beliefs. I'm not saying that to insult someones beliefs, but the reality is we are not a faith based nation. Like many social problems our nation is facing there has got to be some room in here for a compromise. Unfortunately it will not happen until people from both extremes get off their high horse and meet somewhere in the middle.

As far as chick-fil-a is concerned their opinion should still be a non issue, Although i don't agree with them i do not see it as bigotry. choosing to support or not support them harms no one either way. The general hate and idiocy spread by both sides hurts us all

• Like 2
Guest nysos

I seemed to have missed all the fun. I stopped reading this thread at like page 5 the other day and figured nothing else worthwhile was going on. Boy was I wrong, I got to start in reverse and was playing a game of trying to figure out who got hit with the ban stick - then when I saw the name I was like "oh ya, that guy" and it all made sense.

BTW David, hope your work lets up some so you can spend some more time on here. You've been hammering at it hard for quite a while now.

Guest 6.8 AR
The term used is really of the least amount of importance. Civil union, legal union, or marriage. Call it what ever you want but people in committed long term intimate relationships are being denied equal treatment under the law. Most of the gay people i know really wouldn't care less what you titled it. And a lot of it really is the simple things, like being considered immediate family when visiting a partner in the hospital or sharing of health benefits. The military presents a unique issue in regards to housing and relocation. I would really like one good argument to be presented against gay marriage that isn't rooted in religious beliefs. I'm not saying that to insult someones beliefs, but the reality is we are not a faith based nation. Like many social problems our nation is facing there has got to be some room in here for a compromise. Unfortunately it will not happen until people from both extremes get off their high horse and meet somewhere in the middle.

As far as chick-fil-a is concerned their opinion should still be a non issue, Although i don't agree with them i do not see it as bigotry. choosing to support or not support them harms no one either way. The general hate and idiocy spread by both sides hurts us all

Good luck finding that argument

about gay marriage without a

religious component. It's part and

parcel to the argument, except to

those who wish to throw away a

tradition by allowing a group or

class of people who have never

had the ability to "marry" and

now want it.

If you want to redefine a marriage

between a loving and intimate

couple of this or that, you are