wife's bag searched at the theater

Guest Big-A

Last night 8/10 we went to the movie's at Turkey Creek. Handed this guy our ticket's and the guy tell's my wife he need's to search her bag. The guy beside me was really upset also and he ask to see the Manager. Some A hole behind us told us to relax it was for our protection . I feel this is an invasion of her privacy. I understand what happened in colorado but does this mean anytime we go somewhere people are gonna get searched?

I had the same thing happen to me about a week ago. The kid who asked motioned to go for her bag, I stepped in front of him immediately and asked him what he thought he was doing. After him explaining how everyone has to do this, I demanded a manager. In short, I did exactly what Jonnin suggested. The manager let us pass. That is the last time I will be going there after that.

Furthermore, I am pretty sure their posting is not in compliance. Regardless, I was just as armed as I always am while there.

Last night 8/10 we went to the movie's at Turkey Creek. Handed this guy our ticket's and the guy tell's my wife he need's to search her bag. The guy beside me was really upset also and he ask to see the Manager. Some A hole behind us told us to relax it was for our protection . I feel this is an invasion of her privacy. I understand what happened in colorado but does this mean anytime we go somewhere people are gonna get searched?

Is that even legal? Did he identify himself as security or a LEO?

Someone attempted to do this to us once while we were on vacation & I asked if he was a LEO or security. He said no that he was just an employee there. I got a little pissed & told him to either get a search warrant or let us through since we weren't breaking any laws (I had just driven 5 hours to get there with my wife & son).....he got out of our way! The manager overheard and gave us an apology. He said it was a misunderstanding & the employee wasn't suppost to search bags, only ask questions.

Edited by luvmyberetta

Is that even legal? Did he identify himself as security or a LEO?

Someone attempted to do this to us once while we were on vacation & I asked if he was a LEO or security. He said no that he was just an employee there. I got a little pissed & told him to either get a search warrant or let us through since we weren't breaking any laws (I had just driven 5 hours to get there with my wife & son).....he got out of our way! The manager overheard and gave us an apology. He said it was a misunderstanding & the employee wasn't suppost to search bags, only ask questions.

Of course it's legal...they can't compel a search but they absolutely can request to do one. You have the absolute right to refuse.

That, of course, doesn't make it any less irritating but illegal and irritating are two different animals.

• Like 1

Of course it's legal...they can't compel a search but they absolutely can request to do one. You have the absolute right to refuse.

That, of course, doesn't make it any less irritating but illegal and irritating are two different animals.

I agree 100%. My wife and i both have a HCP. On rare occasion (previously at the movies), i would stash my carry gun in her purse and place it below my feet. Since the recent searches and the events in CO--my policy has changed. I keep it on my person and concealed at all times.

I will ONLY be searched by LEO's and i will walk away from anyone else that might try to search me. Just my opinion.........(exception would be the airport but i typically drive to avoid this situation)

Guest seawolf138
I understand what happened in colorado but does this mean anytime we go somewhere people are gonna get searched?

These searches started long before CO. I always thought it was more of a deterrent on outside food and drink than weapons though. If they are trying to cover for weapons they aren't doing a very good job...I was printing noticeably the last time I went in there...all 3 of the people I went with noticed as soon as they walked in.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Went to go see the new batman last night. Bought my tickets and as we were entering I noticed a new gunbuster sign on the door! I promptly asked for a refund and explained why. Of course the ticket buy was anything but interested. Time to write another letter. This is the malcontent in collierville but I am not sure if there other locations are posted.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I wrote Regal and recieved no response. I am really jonesing to see Batman and the new Bourne Legacy but I have not found a theater that is not posted so I am not going to go. I just do not want to give my money to folks who think I am a danger to them.

So much for over half a decade of service to them while providing for their rights to be a chucklehead.

Same thing happened to my wife the other day at the same theater. However, she said that if she had her gun in her purse, the guy checking would have never noticed (aka low paid employee who probably wouldn't find a 44oz gulpie in a purse.) There is something to be said about keeping it on your body. Pretty much any woman can conceal a decent sized gun with a holster like the crossbreed and clothing that's not skin tight.

More than likely they were looking for candy or soda.

Not really the point. There shouldn't be an excuse for it either way. The beginning of a customer-business relationship shouldn't be one of suspicion towards the patron. If I were managing the place I'd be worrying more about losing money on customers not returning than busting folks for unauthorized snacks that they otherwise wouldn't have purchased at the concessions. This equation stands to only lose money, not gain any. But then again, I get the impression that movie theaters aren't looking to attract customers like me and that's okay. My feelings aren't hurt. I'll continue to use Netflix while the movie theater industry continues to lose money.

Edited by TMF
  • Like 1

Oh, I forgot to mention that there was a guy in the Dark Knight Rises that had a max legal length knife on his belt. I found it funny if they were searching for weapons in purses that they allowed this guy to walk by with a large knife on his belt.

Me & the missus went to carmike in bellevue. Signs up @ ticket counter & concessions stand saying "blah we can check ur bag, blah blah no outside food etc" at the end it says "No guns or weapons allowed." Which I ignored. As we were buyin tickets at concession counter (which they do when its slow), some little girl came out of a theater screaming as she ran from her daddy. One of the girls behind the counter was so freaked out it wasn't funny. Went to see dark knight. 1 other guy at 5:30pm on a Sunday in that theater. My wife was a bit jumpy. Hope they'll take the sign down again at some point it used to not be up. I ignore that one just like regals. I just don't like regals because they're so busy. I miss the big screens like edwards in california, so its all smaller anyways. Would like to see the new bourne in theaters soon tho.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2