Would my SKS make a reasonable hunting weapon?

Pilipo

I have an SKS that I have owned for several years and am looking to possibly hunt deer and/or pigs with some friends this year. I would like to not have to purchase a dedicated hunting rifle as I'm not sure that hunting is my bag. On the other hand, I don't want look like a lunatic using inappropriate tools with seasoned hunters. I know this forum is rife with opinions, so please step up and lay it on me. I am totally ignorant here.

I want to know where you're hunting and try a bite of what you catch, regardless how you harvest the beast. But, if you waltz into the woods next to me with my 30-30 in tow and take an animal and I don't, I'm going be super ticked.

The 7.62x39 is very similar in ballistics to the 30-30 and should do fine with deer or wild hogs. It is not the most accurate pick so long shots may be ??. Hornady and CorBon makes some quality loads that give you better acuracy and more suitable for hunting. There are also soft point loads out there. If the SKS is what you have I'd use it and not think twice.

There IS good ammo for it, but it ain't cheap. Nothing worth having is cheap so suck it up and buy some really good ammo or buy the brass and load your own.

Do this and the 7,62x39 will perform. If you try to skimp by using Wolf soft points or equally worthless trash, you'll be sorely disappointed.

I have heard that the SKS shoots pretty well to point of aim and that it is reasonably accurate .. Sight 'er in on paper @ 20 yards (or meters) and the bullet should rise about 5 or 6 inches @100 & return to point of aim @ 200 yds .As other readers have pointed out try some hunting ammo . I've heard the SKS referred to as a good hunting rifle by folks from Wisconsin. Good Luck !

It’s a better round than a .223 for hunting and some people think they are okay for hunting.

I think the bigger question would be can you hit the target with an SKS?

If you can hit a target at the distance you will be hunting, I don’t think you will have any problems.

Now whether or not the other hunters are going to make fun of you or not, is a whole other story and really has nothing to do with ballistics. :)

Make a good shot into the vitals with a decent exposed lead tipped bullet, and you'll have plenty of gun for deer and bear.

I wouldn't worry about what others think. If they make fun of a guy with a loaded SKS, thay are morons to begin with. :shake:

I've not yet killed a deer with my SKS, but I may put it on my to do list.

Edited by gregintenn

Doesn't Tn have laws regulating ammo capacity for hunting purposes?

With the SKS you can load as many or as few as you want up to magazine capacity but I thought you had to have reduced capacity magazines for hunting purposes? Maybe not, as long as you are good legally you should be fine with the 7.62x39 with the right ammo.

Doesn't Tn have laws regulating ammo capacity for hunting purposes?

With the SKS you can load as many or as few as you want up to magazine capacity but I thought you had to have reduced capacity magazines for hunting purposes? Maybe not, as long as you are good legally you should be fine with the 7.62x39 with the right ammo.

Only the federal restrictions for migratory birds.

Get GOOD ammo for the thing. First and foremost.

Take it to an area where you can set up a pie plate. The farthest distance you can hit a 4" circle drawn on that plate on the first shot is your hunting distance.

Most SKS guns shoot good enough. Heck...even a 4 or 5 moa gun would be just fine for hunting....despite what Lay-z-boy hunters will tell you.

Guest Aces&8s

I have a friend who uses his Yugo SKS as his deer rifle, and has taken one every year for the last six years, at least. In the past, he has used Remington Express 125gr SP and S&B 123gr SP, but this year he says he is planning on trying Federal Fusion 120gr SP.

I would have a minor concern about it feeding soft point ammo properly, if you had to take a second shot? I know most of my semi-auto rifles hate any sort of soft point but I do not have an sk or ak --- try a few in your gun.

That may not matter too much, should only take one shot, but be aware of it.

Get GOOD ammo for the thing. First and foremost.

Take it to an area where you can set up a pie plate. The farthest distance you can hit a 4" circle drawn on that plate on the first shot is your hunting distance.

Most SKS guns shoot good enough. Heck...even a 4 or 5 moa gun would be just fine for hunting....despite what Lay-z-boy hunters will tell you.

I will admit that I am a deer hunting noob.

But isn't 4" a bit small for the vitals on a deer? I mean 4" at 100 yards is a pretty good feat with a SKS and iron sights and 4" at 150 yards would amaze me.

I think paperplate size would be a more appropriate size for a deer's vital zone.

Dolomite

I will admit that I am a deer hunting noob.

But isn't 4" a bit small for the vitals on a deer? I mean 4" at 100 yards is a pretty good feat with a SKS and iron sights and 4" at 150 yards would amaze me.

I think paperplate size would be a more appropriate size for a deer's vital zone.

Dolomite

4 inches is probably a fair target. But if the gun is aimed at a point in space and makes a 4 inch group, then the shooter has to be expert with the weapon to hit the vitals... miss by 1/2 an inch and your shot has a 25% or so chance to be outside the 4 inch zone. Somehow I doubt the SK is that bad though --- surely it can do sub 2 moa with a scope and good ammo, meaning the issue here is the shooter or setup in question....?

I tell you what I'll do. If you decide to get into loading for it, drop me a PM. I will cast, size (with gas check) and lube you up (50) bullets to try out. That way you don't have to spend money on a mold, sizer, lube and gas checks until you know if they'll work.