Current 9mm Defense Loads

Russian police has regiment OMOH (both O mean letters, not zeros). They are sturmtroopers licensed to kill. They killed a lot of terrorists, criminals and bystanders. They use 7N21 9mm ammo. As much as I know it has composite bullet, however it is NOT hollow point ammo

We're talking about stopping the threat, not killing people, which may take longer than you can afford.

Whats the best 9mm ammo to use from walmart? Right now i just have the Rem white box 100 round.

Any hollow point is generally considered better than a FMJ round, particularly a minimally charged target round like WWB.

Various 124gr plus + rounds generally fare the best in testing -- Wally's Winchester PDX1 is surely in the upper echelon of choices.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

+1 for the 115gr Hornady Critical Defense. Low recoil and i like the idea of the polymer tip to force expansion. Seems like most quality hp rounds expand as intended but i like the gimmick i guess. I have had good results with other Hornady ammo so I am confident of the brand in general. If i had to pick a 2nd choice though it goes to the 124gr Remington Golden Saber. You have the option of bonded and +P with the Golden Sabers too. I run them in my Walther PK380.

I use 115 gr Critical Defense in my carry gun (CZ P-01), because they feed perfectly and expand reliably with good penetration and great weight retention (especially for non-bonded ammo). I also like the idea that they won't clog.

In my HD handgun (Glock 17) I have 3 Glaser Safety Slugs followed by 115 gr Critical Defense. I figure my first shots are likely to be my least accurate and I don't want to shoot through walls. By the time I get to the later rounds, I hope to be more accurate.

I just bought some 230 gr Winchester PDX1 for my 1911, but haven't tested them yet. From what I've seen the 4X denim and gel tests were very impressive.

Testing premium SD ammo for function/reliability sure is expensive!! I'm glad someone else is doing the ballistics testing for me...whew!

Whats the best 9mm ammo to use from walmart? Right now i just have the Rem white box 100 round.

I carry Winchester PDX1 and have seen it at most of the local Walmart locations. Lately, I have been seeing some calibers of Federal Hydroshoks at some Wally locations and I think I have seen 9mm in them there. Finally, as others have suggested, I wouldn't feel unarmed with the Remington UMC 115 grain JHPs.

Can anyone explain what +p and +p+ means with ammo?

+p has actual SAAMI specs for some calibers, most commonly 9mm, .38 special, and .45.acp

+p is actually 'bout same as NATO spec for 124gr 9mm, most target ammo is less.

+p+ suggests "even more powerful", but no standards, might pee pee plus in your pants if your gun can't take it. ;)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 1

I bought the Winchester PDX1 last night at Wally World.

kinda pricy for just 22 rounds. i think it was like $23 wont be using many at the range.

Actually pretty good price. Defensive ammo is generally around $1 a round. I shoot off my current self defense rounds once a year and then get new stuff. Other than that I shoot FMJ at the range.

115gr +p Golddots have been my carry load of choice for the past 8+ years. It is accurate, has mild recoil and prefoms very well in regards to consistant expansion and penetration. Been raising our own livestock for some time and have had the chance to use handguns in various calibers and loads on various sized livestock and wild game. Lots of others have preformed well for me too but I just prefer the Golddots.

What exactly are you disagreeing with? Muzzle energy in a 147g drops by 30-100 ft lbs. as opposed to 124g/115g and velocity generally drops 200-300 ftps across the board. Applying .45 ballistics to 9mm doesn't translate. :-\ Ballistically it's turning a 9mm into a heavy .380 ACP. There is some excellent 147g stuff out there but "generally" they are not the better option. BTW - I don't have a problem carrying any of them. Just making an analytical point.

Just a couple quick ones.

http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm.php

http://www.ballistic...com/9luger.html

There is all the difference in the world between a 380 and a 9mm +P. Energy is not the only thing to consider; momentum is a big deal in handgun rounds. The difference in momentum between a 380 and a 147 +P is huge, while the energy difference is lower due to the squared velocity. That momentum ensures the 9mm will exit an attacker, rather than just stop after hitting a bone or something like a 380.

Both energy and momentum are important in a handgun. Rifles tend to reach potent energy levels and make up for the low mass (most rifle rounds weigh less than average handgun rounds...!) with raw energy, but handguns cannot get to that level. If energy alone would do it, you would see on the shelf bullets made of aluminum that weigh like 20 grains or something.

• Like 1