1911 .45 question

vontar

I am looking and considering getting a 1911 in .45.

At least the ones I have looked at, they all shoot. .45 acp.?

I want to to know if all 1911 .45's are ACP?

I am probably dreaming a bit but I am really taking a hard look at some of the Kimber 1911 conceal models.

I am probably dreaming a bit but I am really taking a hard look at some of the Kimber 1911 conceal models.

No complaints on mine.

I have a buddy who has a 1911 in .40. If not for the ammo not being as popular and cheap, I would have rather gone that route. You don't see them that often though, and you're limited on what models come in calibers other than .45.

assuming your dislike of 45 long was the price, 45 acp is a bit more than 9mm, guessing about $5 more per box. Not the most expensive thing to buy, but worth noting if that is an issue.

only other thing I would say is take your time to pick one, there are many, many 1911s out there.

Factory .45ACP ammo is far less expensive than 45 Colt and even less expensive when you reload your own. I have owned a Colt 1911 in 9mm P which was very comfortable to shoot but prefer the 45ACP. The only other cartridge that I would consider in a 1911 is the 38 Super due to its proven history and history.

I'll likely get flamed for this, I have a full sized Kimber which I love. I will not carry it however. I strapped it on one day and it took about 30 seconds to decide that I did not want to carry that brick around all day. I use a Glock 27 as my EDC and it is much easier to carry, plus I get 10 rounds with it. I love my Kimber but it isn't getting carried.

I'll likely get flamed for this, I have a full sized Kimber which I love. I will not carry it however. I strapped it on one day and it took about 30 seconds to decide that I did not want to carry that brick around all day. I use a Glock 27 as my EDC and it is much easier to carry, plus I get 10 rounds with it. I love my Kimber but it isn't getting carried.

My Kimber has an aluminum frame and 4 inch barrel, so it is pretty darn light. I carry 8 +1, which I figure is a good amount of .45. At least enough to make the noise necessary to end any dangerous confrontation. I carried IWB for a while and found it to be too heavy and uncomfortable. After switching to OWB holster I don't notice it. It is literally only a few ounces heavier than my G19 with 15 +1.

I got a Kimber RL TLE II a few months ago. For what I paid alone, there is no way it will ever be an EDC pistol in the event I had to use it. Then the size/weight factor comes into play, Compared to my SW99 tupperware specials, that 1911 trigger fires in a hurry! I am so used to my SW's, it would take a ton of practice and dry firing for me to feel I can safely carry it for self defense.

1911s are so awesome. :yum:

I'm down to two xx11's, both in .40. I've had 38Super, 38SuperComp, 45, and 9. I'd add 380, but the Mustang isn't "truly" a 1911.

FWIW, 45 ACP is the standard today, by far. So much so that if you're looking at 1911's in a case, you'd have to ask specifically to see the ones in other calibres.

I'll second an opinion offered above and say don't consider anything in GAP, although it would be hard to come by a GAP weapon nowadays. Pretty sure even Glock is now offering a free 37, 38, or 39 with every hat purchase. It just didn't catch on.

Mac

Technically, there are other 45 caliber 1911's. There's .451 Detonics & .45 Winchester Magnum. I'm sure there's another one or two as well. BUT, the likelihood of you encountering them AND the likelihood of you paying what they would cost is less than 1% I would guess.