1911 VS well...anything else?

Guest HillyKarma

1911 stepchild for carry. Found in 380, 9mm, and other calibers, in a variety of shapes and sizes, they retain the excellent trigger pull and safety system but lose the bulk and weight of the classic guns. You can get them in many shapes and sizes, single or double stack, from a number of vendors including colt, sig, para, and more. No reason to learn how to handle a different system.

I cant believe nobody has brought up Heckler&Koch yet, I have had several of their USP series including the 45 Tactical and the Stainless 45 compact and they were a dream, also another great 45 is the Sig P220 Elite, and though I have only owned Glock 21's when it comes to a 45acp Glock Im sure any Glock will treat you right,though I feel you would probably like the HK or SIg better.

As to Yeager, so many people hate him that I cant help to love him. A good friend of mine always bad mouths him and truly cant stand to watch or listen to him,the irony is that everything Yeager says about firearms always happens to my friend like the 1911's suck video, my friend sold his Glock then went and bought a Sig 1911 after watching said video and he instantly started having problems with it, I couldnt help but to hit the ground laughing. While I dont look at Yeager the same way I do say Travis Hailey or Chris Costa, he still has some valuable information imo.

Edited by ~48_South~
Guest drv2fst

The HK45 and HK P30 have the classic 1911 grip angle and thumb safety control in a plastic framed gun. They have record setting reliability 91,000 rounds set the record if I remember correctly. They are very accurate out of the box. An additional feature is that they can be fired DA in an emergency (DA trigger pull is not fun). They are lighter than almost all 1911s.

All that being said, I still love my 1911s. 1911s are my favorite guns, but I'd take the HKs to a training class where I expected to fire 1000 rounds or so.

A year or so ago I did a tournament with a 1911 and a HK45. I scored higher for accuracy with the 1911.

I've had over a dozen 1911s and have a friend with nearly 50, yes - fifty. Crazy. Anyway I like fiddling with 1911s because they are easy to work on at the kitchen table. I fitted a new trigger in a young FT Campbell soldier's Sig 1911 the other day. He forced me to take $6.00 for my trouble, I simply enjoyed doing it just because it was a slightly new take on the safety for me and wanted to see what it was like. 1911s are like tinker toys up to a point. Huge aftermarket and fitting the right part is not overly hard with hand tools.

However, I did say "HAD" a dozen or so 1911s. I had the good fortune to have another friend of mine lend me 4 Single Action Sigs, 2 x 220 in .45, 1 x 220 in .22LR and 1 x 226 X-Five in 9mm. I always poo poo'd the Sig Kool Aid. Now that I own that X-Five I am really considering dumping some Glocks. The X-Five is sort of big for CCW but man is that a fine gun to shoot and I have shot it with both good and bad ammo, mixed up "extra" rounds loaded at random in mags, etc. It won't quit and it shoots straight. I have also had 3 or 4 9mm 1911s and they don't hold a candle to the X-Five IMHO.

If you are a .45ACP fan and want a Single Action pistol I think you try out a Sig P220 SAO before you lay out a grand for a 1911, that same grand will get you in or nearly in a SAO 220. Different feels and different actions but I recommend that you don't ignore the Sigs out of hand like I did for so long. Again, not a big deal but I am Glock and S&W M&P armorer and have owned mulitiple copies of each as well as CZ, HK, FN, etc. At this moment I put the Sig SAO above em all.

Craig

Guest HillyKarma

I'd love to own a 1911 someday but I will probably still carry my Glock. Everyone bashes Kimber 1911's but I've shot 4-5 different ones with nothing but success.

The Kimber's are definitely the best looking!

Oh yes man, Kimber's are gorgeous, and very well crafted!

Also, I'll look at the price range on a USP, as those usually catch my eye.

I'd love to own a 1911 someday but I will probably still carry my Glock. Everyone bashes Kimber 1911's but I've shot 4-5 different ones with nothing but success.

The Kimber's are definitely the best looking!

I like Kimbers for a lot of reasons. You and I also have a mutual friend that couldn't get hers to run, and wound up dumping it. Nothing against Kimber. Yeager is right. I have one (not Kimber) that wouldn't run out of the box, and had to take it to a craftsman. It's flawless now after being subjected to skilled hands.

I have 3 Glocks now. Never had a problem, and don't expect one.

• Administrator

Three opinions that I have:

1. The video makes me want another 1911 for my collection even more for some reason.

2. Glocks generally do work reliably. Many people discovered this before James did.

3. When I feel the need to carry 45ACP I generally reach for my M&P 45 4-inch. Best damn plastic 45 I've ever owned.

I have a USP in 45. It's my favorite 45 ACP handgun no question. I usually carry a Colt Defender though.

Glocks are fine weapons but I think a gun should be comfortable the second it hit's my hand. I don't need to be worried about compensating for odd grip angles and finger grooves that don't line up with my fingers.

I also really like the XD series and the M&P series. Hard to beat the P220 as well.

Old fart story...

Back in '77 (or '78), I was a one handgun guy because of limited funds. Somebody stole my Model 19 S&W, so I headed to the gun store to replace it. At the time, all my cop buddies were still carrying revolvers, except for a couple I knew in the Illinois State Police. They were carrying the "new" Hi Cap S&W semi-autos in 9mm. I had played with the S&W single stacks, but hadn't had a chance to shoot any of the new ones.

Anyway, I went to the gun store intending to buy a 1911 (back then we just called them 45's). I got to the store and was fondling a Colt 1911 when the S&W rep (who happened to be visiting) grabbed me and sold me the Model 59 that's in my avatar. It's been with me ever since.

Fast forward 30 years or so, and I wound up buying my first 1911. I like it just fine, but wouldn't trade the 30 years with my old friend. I have a bunch of handguns now, and the Glocks are normally the ones that go with me, even though I trust every one I own. Even the old 59 runs like a top. Just don't like the added step of dealing with the safety, or the extra weight.

Old fart story...

Back in '77 (or '78), I was a one handgun guy because of limited funds. Somebody stole my Model 19 S&W, so I headed to the gun store to replace it. At the time, all my cop buddies were still carrying revolvers, except for a couple I knew in the Illinois State Police. They were carrying the "new" Hi Cap S&W semi-autos in 9mm. I had played with the S&W single stacks, but hadn't had a chance to shoot any of the new ones.

Anyway, I went to the gun store intending to buy a 1911 (back then we just called them 45's). I got to the store and was fondling a Colt 1911 when the S&W rep (who happened to be visiting) grabbed me and sold me the Model 59 that's in my avatar. It's been with me ever since.

Fast forward 30 years or so, and I wound up buying my first 1911. I like it just fine, but wouldn't trade the 30 years with my old friend. I have a bunch of handguns now, and the Glocks are normally the ones that go with me, even though I trust every one I own. Even the old 59 runs like a top. Just don't like the added step of dealing with the safety, or the extra weight.

Another old fart story… (1978)

My first duty weapon was a Model 19. We had to buy our own and it was $175 brand new Police Officer price. biggrin.gif

I later picked up a Model 39 (for off duty) like what ISP was carrying at the time; wished I had kept it. I did keep my first model 36 and still have it.

Another old fart story… (1978)

My first duty weapon was a Model 19. We had to buy our own and it was $175 brand new Police Officer price. biggrin.gif

I later picked up a Model 39 (for off duty) like what ISP was carrying at the time; wished I had kept it. I did keep my first model 36 and still have it.

I actually bought my Model 19 from a small town chief of police in a bar, in Illinois, over a beer. Things change. I thought the ISP started buying 59's at some point. I remember them complaining about the fat grips. I sold my 36 back then, and always regretted it. Bought a really nice replacement here on TGO awhile back.

I never was a cop, but knew a whole bunch of them. They never gave me any crap for carrying a gun. Prehysterical times :)

I actually bought my Model 19 from a small town chief of police in a bar, in Illinois, over a beer. Things change. I thought the ISP started buying 59's at some point. I remember them complaining about the fat grips. I sold my 36 back then, and always regretted it. Bought a really nice replacement here on TGO awhile back.

I never was a cop, but knew a whole bunch of them. They never gave me any crap for carrying a gun. Prehysterical times :)

They may have started buying 59’s at some point, but ISP was the first large Police department to issue a semi-auto and it was the Smith & Wesson Model 39.

Things that impact your decisions….

I was a rookie cop and was present when an Illinois state Trooper was telling the story of one of the troopers that he worked with that involved in a shooting. ISP had just started carrying the 39. A Trooper had a guy pulled over on the side of the road and the guy flipped out on him. Somehow the Trooper got to his mic and put out an “Officer Needs assistanceâ€. As the responding Officer was arriving on the scene from the opposite direction he saw the perp standing over the Trooper that he had knocked out. The guy was trying to get the gun to fire at the Trooper. The approaching Trooper made a Hail Mary shot from his vehicle and killed the perp. Turns out the Trooper was in a fight for control of his weapon and knew he was going to lose because of the size of the guy and the power he had. He popped the mag release before losing control. The guy was trying to figure out why the weapon would not fire when he caught the fatal bullet. Now… there are only two possible reasons that trooper lived; magazine disconnects, or Gods hand guided that second trooper’s bullet.

A few years later I way in a fight for control of my revolver all I could do was hold my hand down on the hammer so he couldn’t pull the trigger, as another cop approached and grabbed him. I couldn’t free my hands to defend myself without him gaining control of the gun. My first thought after it was over was that if I had a semi with a mag disconnect I could have popped it and freed my hands to get control of him.

Those are reasons for laughing when I see someone posting that mag disconnects are “lawyer gunsâ€. Don’t use them if you don’t want them, but my street experience tells me I want one on everything I can get it on.

Edited by DaveTN

The ISP guys didn't relay that story, but they did say that one of the main reasons for carrying autos was for cases when they lost control of the weapon. Being a .357 guy at the time (mid '70's), I was curious why they were carrying a much weaker caliber than the guys in KY, and pretty much all the PD's and SO's in the area.

When I bought my 59, I considered the mag safety a plus. Now, my Smiths are the only ones that have them.

The ISP guys didn't relay that story, but they did say that one of the main reasons for carrying autos was for cases when they lost control of the weapon. Being a .357 guy at the time (mid '70's), I was curious why they were carrying a much weaker caliber than the guys in KY, and pretty much all the PD's and SO's in the area.

Politics, ballistics, and semi-auto. 30 years later and we are just getting rid of the 9MM’s. 40’s weren’t on the scene yet and .45s were too big in relationship to the capacity, although some Officers were carrying 1911’s. (Our department didn’t allow it)

Most city departments were issuing .38+P ammo and most SO’s were issuing .357Mag. My first three were department issued ammo, my next three and both speed loaders were 357.

When I bought my 59, I considered the mag safety a plus. Now, my Smiths are the only ones that have them.

There was a poll and S&W a long time ago about who wanted magazine disconnects. Many of the cops wanted them and most of the others didn’t. I don’t see it as a safety; I see it as a feature. When I bought my last two M&P I wanted disconnects. My dealer told me he didn’t carry them because he mainly sold to the public and they didn’t want them. I’ll have them on my next M&P’s if I have to order them and wait.

M&P’s are taking the Police (and civilian it appears) market away from Glock; that’s why they offer them. But it’s also why they offer them without…. Have it your way.

Edited by DaveTN