Most rural/backwoods/isolated town in TN?

Erik88

I was sitting here thinking about how I've driven through or visited the majority of East TN and it got me thinking about how small and rural some of the towns are.

The top 3 that came to mind are Pall Mall, Sunbright, and the tiny historic town of Rugby which is really neat to pass through.

People may call them "podunk" but I'd love to live in a small town again. What towns come to mind for you all?

Ducktown, Turtletown, Copper Basin, Farner, Coker Creek. That whole lovely area.

You don't get much more backwoods then deep in them there mountains.

I have kinfolk up there that still don't have indoor plumbing or lights.

Oh yeah There is a place here in Union county I would not want to be caught at night alone...Odd people .live in Shacks and dont look to friendly...

Ducktown, Turtletown, Copper Basin, Farner, Coker Creek. That whole lovely area.

I had to use google maps to find that area. Lived in East TN most of my life and never heard of those towns.

I grew up in Tellico Plains. Rural Vale/Steer Creek is where I have some property.

It is a whole new world back there in them hills.

Beautiful place, but the locals don't take to kind to strangers.

Coker Creek is where gold was first discovered in Tennessee. There was an interment camp in Tellico Plains during WWII. There was a foundry there during the Civil War, they made cannons if I remember correctly. It was a huge Cherokee settlement. There is still an old indian burial mound in town where Stokely Fields used to be.

Coker Creek is into the mountains. Farner is the next town through them. From there you can go to North Carolina and Field of the Woods, or stay in Tennessee and go to Turtletown, then Ducktown, then Copper Basin.

They are all dry counties. Not a lot of police out there.

I use to think Sneedville was until I visited these towns mentioned above. BTW I had to read the title of this post twice, becuase I was going to list Tuscaloosa, AL, but the thread states TN. Oh, well....

That whole area from Oneida down to Wartburg is about the same. Beautiful area but nothing out there.

Um...I have to disagree. We have a Walmart here in Oneida... :whistle: Never mind. That sucks too! Other than the Big South Fork, meth labs, & a county full of crooked officials, there's not much of anything around here. We're moving the heck outta here as soon as my wife gets out of college!

It's funny, but every time I have an item for sale I get about 50 messages that say "You're from where? Is that near Nashville?"

Honorable mention Flag Pond, Pittman Center, Surgoinsville, St. Claire, just to come to mind. I know Pittman Center has no gas station, or dollar general, no traffic lights, no bank, and my kin are dying out, so not much backwoods left in Pittman.

Edited by Runco
Guest rebeldrummer

Nebo Mt....might night be a town per say but it is a community. 1 road in and out.

They will cut down trees across the road and burn tires to prevent the cops from coming up there (or anyone leaving!)

I have worked on the Ocoee every summer since '98. Copper Basin is an interesting part of the world for sure. If you get out off 64 there are still some spots that are ravaged from all the mining that went on up there. They look like the surface of Mars.

Oh yeah There is a place here in Union county I would not want to be caught at night alone...Odd people .live in Shacks and dont look to friendly...

Jim Town, I reckon?

When I lived out there, the church had an outhouse built over the creek.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Best named town in TN - Bucksnort

Are you sure? Found these on google, never been to Sweetlips, TN, but may have to GPS that one:

Arp, TN

Atoka, TN

Bells, TN

Blue Goose, TN

Bucksnort, TN

Bugscuffle, TN

Bugtussle, TN

Bumpus Mills, TN

Cherry, TN

Comb, TN

Curve, TN

Defeated, TN

Difficult, TN

Disco, TN

Ducktown, TN

Edith, TN

Finger, TN

Flippin, TN

Gift, TN

Gilt Edge, TN

Golddust, TN

Guys, TN

Hohenwald, TN

Jellico, TN

Life, TN

Love Lady, TN

Nameless, TN

Nantipoo, TN

Only, TN

Pandora, TN

Paris, TN

Skullbone, TN

Smartt, TN

Soddy-Daisy, TN

Spot, TN

Static, TN

Sweet Lips, TN

Turtletown, TN

Walnut Log, TN

Edited by Runco

Sweet lips is a great place in southern Chester county that has a country store that doubles as a restaurant and pool room. That store even has a FB page. Check it out. It is about 15 minutes south of Henderson. I live in Deanburg that is about 15 min west of Henderson.

I know a Monroe County detective that has told me stories about people up there that don't have electricity but have some 12 volt lights and will bring the car battery in to use them. I'm not too far from the area that you speak, 15 miles due north maybe from Tellico Plains. I won't give a lot of details, I'm probably more isolated than anyone here and I would like it to stay that way. I'll put it this way, it's 12 miles to the closest gas station and 14 miles to the nearest traffic light. I go weeks at a time every now and then without seeing a traffic light, which suits me fine because I hate those things.