Picking out a deer rifle

R4MBO

I'm going to get into deer hunting some this season and learn/hunt with my uncle on his property. As of now I don't have a rifle to use but have been keeping an eye out on the classifieds. Let me know what you think as I am open to caliber and type of rifle. Budget will be around $350 tops.

Thanks ahead of time.

Ruger American ,Marlin XS or XL , or a Savage Axis.

The Savage will heavy a pretty heavy trigger but it works fine for hunting.

I would go with a 308 or 30-06 as you can find ammo for any game you want to hunt in the future. (bigger or smaller than deer)

If you never plan to shoot anything over 150 or so, than a 30-30 would be a good choice. But you are limited to deer sized game in my opinion with the 30-30.

I have killed deer with my Winchester model94 out to 200yrds. I like to hunt with it since it belonged to my grandfather who got me into hunting. I used it to this day as a brush gun and for spot and stalk. I love that gun.

Sent from iPad in the woods.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/52777-its-clearance-time-at-gl-take-a-look-updated-10-16/

Near the bottom they have a Savage 110 in 30-06 for $150. You cannot beat this price on what will likely be the most accurate gun you have ever owned. Savages are known for being accurate. They are also very durable and doesn't require a smith to work on.

30-06 is capable of killing ANYTHING in North America. I would not feel undergunned with a 30-06.

This is a sponsor here and he supports the site so I recommend we support him.

Dolomite

• Like 2

Thanks, Dolomite. I missed that listing when I went through the post a few days ago. G&L are good people with great prices. Just happen to be who I bought my G19 from this past April.

I'll give them a call today to see if they still have it or anything comprable in stock.

Guest 5Legion

If you are on a budget, I think a rifle that shoots a common cal is key. Like .308 or 30-30. Personally, I like a Savage .308 bolt action. I have not shot the new Axis but it looks decent for the price. I'd look around for a nice used (already scoped) Savage 110 in .308. Gun and Knife Country in Clarksville had one I almost picked up a couple of weeks ago. Like a 30-06 you can hunt any med/large game in N America with a .308 also and the ammo is always available at your local Walmart. 30-06 is a fine choice too. Hard to beat a Savage for the $.

Edited by 5Legion

Any caliber gun I believe 243 (TWRA requiement) or higher will be okay. Cheap military rifles and Handi type rifles are likely the best for budget minded people and for people who may go hunting once or twice in 10 years. Many times you can find a lever action 30/30 at a flea or yard sale in the $150-$250 range. Likely not on any forum or gun list type posting.

http://www.tngunowne...-updated-10-16/

Near the bottom they have a Savage 110 in 30-06 for $150. You cannot beat this price on what will likely be the most accurate gun you have ever owned. Savages are known for being accurate. They are also very durable and doesn't require a smith to work on.

30-06 is capable of killing ANYTHING in North America. I would not feel undergunned with a 30-06.

This is a sponsor here and he supports the site so I recommend we support him.

Dolomite

This, or a .270. Personally, I wouldn't have a 30-30 as my only rifle, even though it's probably killed more deer than anything else. I want more smack.

Every year about this time Dicks runs a special on a Remington 700 heavy barrel with a cheap scope and camo stock for around $449. It’s a cheap scope and an ugly stock, but at the heart it’s the same 700 heavy barrel people are paying a lot more money for. You might want to check it out.

Every year about this time Dicks runs a special on a Remington 700 heavy barrel with a cheap scope and camo stock for around $449. It’s a cheap scope and an ugly stock, but at the heart it’s the same 700 heavy barrel people are paying a lot more money for. You might want to check it out.

Yep. A .308 will work too, if you're into that newfangled stuff :)