Poll - On your carry gun; Safety or no Safety?

Guest drv2fst

Poll - On your carry gun; Safety or no Safety?  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer your carry gun to have a external manually activated safety or not?

• Yes - I don't like shooting myself in the butt.
    • No - It has a trigger how much safer can it get and still be a gun?
    • Can't Decide - I carry both types. So, when I carry a gun with a safety, I'll fumble trying to turn one off. When I carry a gun without a safety, I'll sweep my thumb for nothing and pull the trigger like it's heavy and long.

Guest drv2fst

I have several guns with external safeties and several without. I go back and forth on which I like better. I'm interested in what you think (well some of you at least).

Safety PROS:

• I don't shoot myself when reholstering.
  • In case some else got my gun, there is an extra step before they can shoot anyone
  • Allows for better trigger, therefore better accuracy.

Safety CONS:

• One more step between drawing and firing that could go wrong in an emergency.
  • Makes gun slightly wider?

Edited by drv2fst

Depends on the gun. My DAO P3AT doesn't have a safety other than the long trigger pull and I'm fine with that. My striker fired PT145 has a manual safety and I carry it on safe. As you pointed out, seems more people shoot themselves re-holstering than any other way (other than cleaning).

I don't consider safeties as a necessary feature for responsible gun owners. For the types of people that look down barrels and finger twirl with their drunken buddies, absolutely.

The only pistol I have with a safety is my 1911, but that is required due to the SA design. DA pistols and revolvers don't need safeties.

• Like 2
Guest drv2fst

I usually carry a 1911 or an HK with a safety. However, when I carry something without a safety it is usually a Kahr with their LONG trigger pull.

I have never fired a gun by accident. However, we have some members right here on TGO that are responsible gun owners and yet have had a Negligent Discharge. We are all human and no matter how careful we are, if you are handling your gun many times per day (dress, undress, bathroom, posted locations, ...) the odds go up for some type of ND. I know they should never happen but sill they do. Car wrecks should never happen either but almost all of us have had one (or more). Running red lights should never happen but "I have this friend" that ran one once by accident.

Depends on the gun and type of action. I wouldn't want to carry a 1911 with the safety off, but carrying a striker fired with 5.5lb + longer pull doesn't make me uneasy in the least. Over the last 2 years I have rotated between a gun that was DA/SA, DA/SA w/ manual safety and carried like a 1911 cocked and locked, and now striker fired. I personally think I like DA/SA the most, get the best of striker fired of having no safety but the longer pull - but the benefit of a short crisp SA after the first shot.

The wording asked what is preferred. I voted Yes as a guard against a ND.

I wish my SW99s had a grip safety like the XD's. With that, I wouldn't feel the need for a regular safety. My pistols have just internal safeties like a Glock, so I'm just really careful about where my #1 finger is at all times.

I wish I knew how common safety malfunctions really are. If I was shopping for an M&P, I'd be tempted to get one with a safety.

If a 1911's SA trigger makes a safety a necessity that cocked and locked 1911 owners train/practice around, I don't see what is that so bad about a DA shooter doing the same if the safety's ergonomics is good.

The wording asked what is preferred. I voted Yes as a guard against a ND.

Negligent discharge means somebody wasn't following the rules of gun safety and can occur with or without a safety. If a person is negligent with these rules, a manual safety doesn't always make any sort of difference.

Negligent discharge means somebody wasn't following the rules of gun safety and can occur with or without a safety. If a person is negligent with these rules, a manual safety doesn't always make any sort of difference.

I refer you to post #10 above. It and #12 sum up my thoughts exactly.

Perhaps some of us mixed up terms. I should have said accidental rather than negligent.

I normally carry a revolver, and my secondary carry is a PM9, so technically I'm in the No category. Except I occasionally carry a Ruger SP9c, and have no problem with the safety. I disagree with the wording of the can't decide. I know what I'm carrying and I know how to use it.

All of my carry guns are either DAO or DA/SA. My Ruger P95 and my CZ 82 both have the option of using a manual safety but, as they both also have the option of 'decocking' and carrying in DA/SA mode I do not carry them with the safety engaged. Having a DA pull for the first shot or being a DAO, to my thinking, makes them plenty safe without a safety. Heck, my 642 is DAO, I don't worry about it being 'safe' to carry and I don't think anyone would ever worry about a J-frame not having a manual safety so, to me, what's the difference?

I would not carry a Glock or other, striker fired type pistol. I am sure they are plenty 'safe' if handled properly but I would not feel comfortable carrying one. Likewise, I don't think I would carry any gun 'cocked and locked'. Again, plenty of people do and have for some time - I'm just not sure that it is for me.

Edited by JAB