Arsenal AKs worth it?

Symbolic

I just saw at Atlantic Firearms that Arsenal has a new milled AK out for right under a grand and that got me thinking of all the times I see people state that Arsenal is the best. I don't have any experience with an Arsenal-made AK, so are they really what they're hyped up to be, accuracy and quality of parts wise or in any other area? I'm hoping someone here has shot one more than just a little to answer this.
Yes he did have an aresnal with a canted front sight. He did send it back to aresnal and they replaced sight. I own the ak now and have not had any issues with it. If you were to buy a sagia ak and convert it you would have about the same in it.
I have three arsenals right now and am picking up a slr-107cr for the wife that we will be taking the sbr routefor her so she can go to classes. Ak rifles are not cheap anymore and for under 1k you can get a folding stock and the shorter shucka sight base. I have handled one of these milled rifles and they are really nice. I run lots and lots of classes with all of mine and the added weight of a milled rifle isn't worth the trouble IMHO but is one of the nicest arsenals I have seen. Me personally if I'm going to spend that kind of cash I'm getting something rarer and special. A lot of people are saying the rifle you are interested in is a great move by arsenal and is one of the cheapest milled rifles that you can get. My personal opinion, if you want it then get it because I've never seen a home converted milled rifle from a saiga..... If your near me you're welcome to shoot some of mine so you can make your own decision.
Arsenal vs. Saiga is a misnomer. Stamped Arsenals (Like the SGL-21 and variants) [b]are[/b] converted Saigas. You can do the job yourself and save a few dollars, but you can't go directly from the toy store to the range. Arsenals are already done for you so it's convenience that you're paying for. As far as quality, they're the exact same thing as a converted Saiga using quality parts for the conversion. It's a matter of balancing time vs. convenience vs. money vs. learning the insides of your AK.

The OP is asking about a new milled option from Arsenal that I don't know anything about.
[quote name='ShamGlock' timestamp='1352990877' post='846049']
I've been stuck on this same fence about Arsenal vs Saiga vs WASR now for a few months. I really want to add an AK to the mix but I don't know enough about them to make a decision I feel good about one way or the other.

In on this thread for more info...
[/quote]

There are a lot of AK variants out there, what sort of budget are you working with? What is the rifles intended purpose? (Range toy? SD/HD? Collection piece?) & what sort of configuration are you wanting? Ie folding or fixed stock? Wood or poly furniture? Etc.

If you are a bit more specific I am sure either myself or someone else could help point you in the right direction.

If you convert a Saiga AND properly do the front end the dollar amount is fairly even if not a little ahead with the Arsenal. You have to add in the refinishing and proper parts. Are they worth it? Yes and no. Do you get a "better gun (reliability, function, etc.?) with an Arsenal .... no. Do you get a fully complete and properly factory built AK that is top shelf for a fair deal? Yes.

Would I buy an Arsenal? No. I'd go with the Saiga and make it exactly the way I want it. If I wanted a historically correct traditional AK that I wasn't going to change anything on, I'd get the Arsenal.

It's all in what you want. Six of one 1/2 dozen of the other. Edited by AK Guy
  • Like 1
I bought an Arsenal. Had a canted front sight. Arsenal said my rifle was out of warranty even though I bought it a week before NIB from Outpost. Long story short Outpost sent it back for repairs. They had to pay about $100 to fix the sight. The rifle ran flawlessly in every other aspect. After the sight was fixed there were no other problems.

I sold the rifle bc I saw that I could build the exact same AK but how I wanted and even better for the same price if not less. Would I buy another Arsenal? Yes. Would I pay what I paid and what they are going for again? HELL NO!!!

I'm building my Saiga right now..... Edited by TLRMADE
I am not in the market for an AK. I was only curious because I saw this **NEW ARSENAL AK** and I'm always reading posts by people saying Arsenal is the best, everything else stinks. It gets to the point where I wonder how many people have experience shooting Arsenal built AKs and how many just hype them up, especially over on AR15.com and theakfiles. I would love for there to be a place where you could try different makes and models of AKs instead of just reading about them or watching Youtube videos. The local range here only rents handguns.

ETA: It appears the consensus is get a Saiga and convert it yourself. That sounds like a fun project farther down the road for me. Edited by Symbolic
[quote name='RichardR' timestamp='1352992466' post='846058']
There are a lot of AK variants out there, what sort of budget are you working with? What is the rifles intended purpose? (Range toy? SD/HD? Collection piece?) & what sort of configuration are you wanting? Ie folding or fixed stock? Wood or poly furniture? Etc.

If you are a bit more specific I am sure either myself or someone else could help point you in the right direction.
[/quote]

Richard, first off thanks in advance for the advice. The rifle would not be for SD/HD as I already have plenty of options there. It would mostly be for range fun and generally just shooting the hell out of it. I'm a bit of a traditionalist with guns and the look of wood furniture and fixed stocks has always caught my eye with AK's. Having said that, I don't mind to work on my guns, converting a Saiga would't be too much of a hassle for me I don't think. And I love a deal! Budget would be whatever is reasonable for something that fits the bill, when it comes to guns I don't mind paying more for something I know will just work and will be quality.
Are some arsenals excellent? Yes. Are some arsenals problematic? Yes.

Are some Saigas excellent? yes. Are some Saigas problematic? Yes.

But then again for that matter....are some WASR 10s excellent? Yes...a few. Are some WASR10s problematic. Yes a good many.

On the Arsenals and Saigas.... I have a few (2 107CRs, 107Ur, 107F, Saiga sgl 31-47) and have been lucky. But I have also seen canted sight blocks that made the rifles all but impossible to zero. They are all made with typical eastern combloc quality....which is hit and miss. Some are accurate and reliable, some are reliable but not accurate and a very few are neither accurate nor reliable.....and you can't tell until you get them.

But having said that , from my experience you are more likely to get a good one than a bad one. But that does not mean there are not bad ones out there.

Them WASRs must have gotten better all in all.

Mike.357 has one that even I can't seem to miss with, and look what this young feller can do with one right out of the box. (he has a bunch of entertaining vids, and his wife is nice to watch shoot too :))

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSuAPjw2Jgw&list=PLEC9E573CEBBBE9E5&index=6&feature=plcp[/media]

- OS

I have an Arsenal SGL 21 and it has been flawless. However, I would say if your looking at dropping that much on an Arsenal drop it on the Sig 556R, IMO it's the best 7.62 x39 on the market. I wish I had gotten it from the get go. It functions like the AK with much better accuracy and takes AK mags - much better all around. But then you have the Blackout 300 for a 7.62 with great accuracy excellent suppressed but not as much range but you can use AR mags...... man it just keeps going.

Point is....well its ever evolving and multiple faceted they all have their pros and cons.
  • 2 weeks later...
If anyone could find use for an AK set up in a hunting configuration you might want to check into the Vepr's being sold by K-Var out of Los Vegas. These are heavy duty and all russian out of the highly regarded Molot Arsenal. I ordered one a few months ago and VERY impressed with the build qualty.

See K-Var.com for details and photos of the various setups. Ten round mags only as received.
[quote name='Djay3' timestamp='1354324898' post='853178']If anyone could find use for an AK set up in a hunting configuration you might want to check into the Vepr's being sold by K-Var out of Los Vegas. These are heavy duty and all russian out of the highly regarded Molot Arsenal. I ordered one a few months ago and VERY impressed with the build qualty.

See K-Var.com for details and photos of the various setups. Ten round mags only as received.[/quote]

Yea I got to handle one today....the bolt is sooooo smooth!!! They are significantly heavier though....
Guest The Dude
Arsenal AK's are NOT just converted Saigas. Saigas are a great deal for the money, and prolly the best deal overall. I have the SGL31 and love it. Heres a little insight on them from another forum for those interested.

[url="http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/70376-arsenal-sgl-21-has-mil-spec-barrel/"]http://forum.saiga-1...il-spec-barrel/[/url] - - post #12 is where it gets interesting.

[url="http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/69227-arsenal-545x39/"]http://forum.saiga-1...arsenal-545x39/[/url] Edited by The Dude
I ran an Arsenal SGL 20 in a trng course. Would I trade it for even money on a SCAR or a Barrett Rec 7, maybe. Arsenal AK's are hard to beat for civilian CQB. Just be sure and check the front sight for cant. The SLR107CR is in my HO one of the best civilian CQB deals out there. Now if you want 1.5" groups at 100 yards look for something else.