My Walmart is completely out of .22 LR and Mag

vontar

This is not to get people up in arms and concerned about ammo but people must be buying it up for Christmas presents is all I can think.

My WalMart in Oak Ridge is very short on ammo.

They have no .22 LR or Mag

They still had some other stuff but the shelves are looking bare behind the glass where their should be allot of ammo.

Hoping this is just my Walmart.

Glad I have a supply at home. I had wanted to double what I have.

Now I fee bad about going out last week and running 300 rounds playing with a Taico-Squires Bingham Model 16 Edited by vontar

The reason these ammo shortages are happening, is because one person panics and they buy all the ammo. Guy #2 comes in and see they're out so they run to the next store and buy all of it, or they wait until the day the new shipment comes in and buy it all out again etc... It's a vicious cycle :rofl:

• Like 3
[quote name='TrickyNicky' timestamp='1355087765' post='857354']
I've been buying 2-3 federal bulk packs and 1-2 100 count 12gauge.

I'm also about half way to my goal but then again my goal is not a tangible number so much as a certain volume if space.
[/quote]

Even though its not a tangible number, what would be a reasonable amount to have. I to have been seeing the shelves bare at my local walmart.
Guest TNSovereignty
No .22LR in our local WalMart either. I try to keep around 10K rounds on hand; not a round that can be reloaded so I prefer to keep plenty around. And when fiat currency goes bust, 22LR will be a dandy commodity for trading!
[quote name='swim615' timestamp='1355090089' post='857383']

Even though its not a tangible number, what would be a reasonable amount to have. I to have been seeing the shelves bare at my local walmart.
[/quote]

Well I've got ten of the federal match 350 packs 1600 mini mags, an ammo can full of cb/snakeshot/subsonicrounds. And I guess about 3-4 bulk packs.

I'll get there one day. For now its time to start building up the center fires. The goal is ultimately to be able to shoot recreationally for at least 6 months without having to spend money on ammo. Of course I will most likely continue buying ammo after that point for going to the range, I just like the idea of not needing to.

[quote name='Sam1' timestamp='1355084455' post='857333']
The reason these ammo shortages are happening, is because one person panics and they buy all the ammo. Guy #2 comes in and see they're out so they run to the next store and buy all of it, or they wait until the day the new shipment comes in and buy it all out again etc... It's a vicious cycle :rofl:
[/quote]this is what I have always said about the ammo shortages.

[quote name='swim615' timestamp='1355090089' post='857383']
Even though its not a tangible number, what would be a reasonable amount to have....
[/quote]

You'll get all kinds of answers there.

I keep 5,000 rounds or more as shooting stock. The "stash" is much larger.

- OS
I make a point of checking the shelves every time I go in.

Last night they had 75+ boxes of .223/5.56 in various flavors, 50+ boxes of 9mm, even more of .40 and a similar amount of .45 and .380.

100+ boxes of 7.62x39mm and of course, all the other hunting rounds.

The case was full.

Same story at Rural King across town.

I keep hearing all the 'Sky is Falling' talk, but I have yet to see a legit shortage.

[quote name='Oh Shoot' timestamp='1355098486' post='857460']
You'll get all kinds of answers there.

I keep 5,000 rounds or more as shooting stock. The "stash" is much larger.

- OS
[/quote]

I currently have between 5000 and 6000 rounds of .22lr and thought I had a nice stash. :shake: But from what some of you are saying it looks like I need to make a ammo run. :rofl: Guess I'm going to be adding to the problem. :wave:

Guest ThePunisher
I just ordered an ammo box of 62 gr. X855 420 rds. from PSA for $199.99. This time last year it was $139.99 or about .14 cents less per round. I guess the slogan of " Invest in Precious Metals, Invest in Lead " is pretty good investment advice the way prices are increasing. And the Wal-Marts ammo shelves that I go to have been pretty bare the last couple months. Edited by ThePunisher
[quote name='Murgatroy' timestamp='1355102277' post='857494']
I keep hearing all the 'Sky is Falling' talk, but I have yet to see a legit shortage.
[/quote]

Except for those $28 boxes of 100 round .45's at Wally World; we check at least once a week and they are never in... Now that could be a legit conspiracy.
Oak Ridge Walmart has always been somewhat marginal compared to some of the better ones (and yes, some are much worse). There are some WM's that absolutely have more consistent stock levels. I have spoken to 5-6 of their sporting goods managers, and there is apparently differences in planning/ forecasting, and other limitations that vary from region to region, and store to store.

I beleive that local management has as much impact on WM's inventory of ammo as anything. Edited by R_Bert
[quote name='Sam1' timestamp='1355108014' post='857583']
Except for those $28 boxes of 100 round .45's at Wally World; we check at least once a week and they are never in... Now that could be a legit conspiracy.
[/quote]

Behold the conspiracy theory has been found to be untrue. There is really a 100 round 45 value pack and here it with its even more illusive little brother the 9.

[img]http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/i442/swim615/C360_2012-12-09-22-22-23.jpg[/img]
Guest fauklin
[quote name='vontar' timestamp='1355083498' post='857325']This is not to get people up in arms and concerned about ammo but people must be buying it up for Christmas presents is all I can think.

My WalMart in Oak Ridge is very short on ammo.

They have no .22 LR or Mag

They still had some other stuff but the shelves are looking bare behind the glass where their should be allot of ammo.

Hoping this is just my Walmart.

Glad I have a supply at home. I had wanted to double what I have.

Now I fee bad about going out last week and running 300 rounds playing with a Taico-Squires Bingham Model 16[/quote][quote name='R_Bert' timestamp='1355109400' post='857597']Oak Ridge Walmart has always been somewhat marginal compared to some of the better ones (and yes, some are much worse). There are some WM's that absolutely have more consistent stock levels. I have spoken to 5-6 of their sporting goods managers, and there is apparently differences in planning/ forecasting, and other limitations that vary from region to region, and store to store.

I beleive that local management has as much impact on WM's inventory of ammo as anything.[/quote]

Clinton Walmart usually has double the ammo on hand that oak ridge does. They also sell out of 22lr pretty quickly. Might be worth a shot to look there. Also, they usually keep the 100rd federal champion ammo in for most popular calibers.

Bionic Post