Cheaper Than Dirt. Not Selling Firearms? What?

Smiddy

Guest DarylDixon
The price gouging is ridiculous.

As far as not selling guns, I think either they sold one of the guns used in the recent school shooting, they couldn't keep up with demand and their operation got screwy, or they broke a law by shipping or selling to someone they shouldn't and got in trouble.
The price gouging is ridiculous.

As far as not selling guns, I think either they sold one of the guns used in the recent school shooting, they couldn't keep up with demand and their operation got screwy, or they broke a law by shipping or selling to someone they shouldn't and got in trouble.

Well, they were the store that turned him down on a purchase, we know that.

Btw, they really couldn't have broken a law via shipping, because they don't ship at all, except maybe store to store. You can't buy a gun online and have it shipped to your own FFL.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
How do we know that?

Know what?

Fact he tried to buy the gun at Dick's? -- well documented by investigation, covered to death. Okay, "they" could be lying. Pick your reason. :tinfoil:

Fact that you can't buy a gun online from Dick's -- ever try it?

- OS

At the first sign of trouble we betray ourselves.
Many of us here have been saying we are doing this to ourselves…. Quit it.
But I guess if Yeager puts that in a video it might have more meaning to some?
Protect the second amendment with your wallet.
Are you kidding me James, the majority of people won’t protect their families and their futures with where they buy or who they buy from, what makes you think they will protect their rights? You are one of them.
  • 2 weeks later...
Just saw this statement on their twitter page.... @cheaperthandirt: CTD will resume online sales of firearms once we update and improve our process. Firearms will continue to ship only to FFL Dealers...... How quickly they are flip flopping

Looks like they may have flipped yet again. I notice that if I go to CTD's web site the header saying that they are temporarily halting firearm sales while they re-evaluate their processes has now disappeared.  I no longer see links to any firearms on their web page menu.  If I use google to find a link to one of their firearms pages (they haven't taken the pages down, they've just removed the links from their menu), like this one, I get the page for the gun but no price and this message:

CheaperThanDirt.com does not sell firearms.

Lol you guys don't realize what they did?

They realized that they had yet another chance to gouge like hell and took the site down so they could adjust all their pricing and stir up more panic.  I hate hate hate cheaper than dirt...not because they try to kill people when sh*t happens (anyone forget their $70box .380 ammo?) because thats just capitalism.  What I hate is that they try to make people panic and be scared...they spread lies and mistruth to drive sales and panic buyers...that to me is whats wrong with their business model and why I will never buy from them again.

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Lester Weevils

I don't listen to Glenn Beck routinely, but didn't recall CTD ads on Beck's radio show til today. Maybe they are a long-time advertiser, dunno. Today noticed a CTD ad on Beck's radio show, not just a canned spot but a glowing custom personal endorsement by Glenn Beck his self.

I don't listen to Glenn Beck routinely, but didn't recall CTD ads on Beck's radio show til today. Maybe they are a long-time advertiser, dunno. Today noticed a CTD ad on Beck's radio show, not just a canned spot but a glowing custom personal endorsement by Glenn Beck his self.

Those glowing personal endorsements sell for high dollars. Glen probably doesn't know CTD from Adam. He babbles on the radio, and somebody else sells the spot, and in most cases, writes the copy. At the very least, he had talking points that came from the client and ad salesperson.

Guest Lester Weevils

Hilights from the glowing personal endorsement, IIRC-- "CTD has over three million dollars in inventory." "A good texas company, neighbors of mine." "Sold so many guns they had to temporarily suspend sales to catch up to demand." "So get your ammo at cheaper than dirt like I do."

Hilights from the glowing personal endorsement, IIRC-- "CTD has over three million dollars in inventory." "A good texas company, neighbors of mine." "Sold so many guns they had to temporarily suspend sales to catch up to demand." "So get your ammo at cheaper than dirt like I do."

Pretty glowing. I thought Glenn was in New York

Guest Lester Weevils

Pretty glowing. I thought Glenn was in New York

He moved to Texas maybe a year or more ago. New York was weirding him out. Everybody knew him and the typical NYC citizen wasn't especially friendly when encountering Beck on the street. Which I wouldn't blame him for moving. I won't even VISIT NYC, and they don't know me from adam's cat.

he must make pretty good money not to be worried about how much he's paying for it... i just looked again for giggles and they went up 30 bucks on there used GI mags from 99.97 to 129.97 +/- cents

Edited by carter
[quote name="carter" post="887878" timestamp="1358448980"]he must make pretty good money not to be worried about how much he's paying for it... i just looked again for giggles and they went up 30 bucks on there used GI mags from 99.97 to 129.97 +/- cents[/quote] Wow, I must be sitting on a small fortune.
Guest Lester Weevils

In the depth of a panic, it is a conundrum for any retailer I'd guess. Not jumping to CTD's defense, but if CTD didn't hike ammo prices, they would be sold out within hours of posting a new in-stock item, and the buyers of said ammo might tote it to the gun show or post it online and double their money. Selling at "previous normal pricing" would encourage hoarding and speculation on one hand, while discouraging web traffic and repeat sales on the other, because no matter how low the price, if people sign on several days in a row to see "out of stock" notices on all the ammo, they would get out of the habit of buying there. Regardless how low the price of non-existent ammo.

If a local quickie mart advertises gas for $1.00 a gallon but they never have any gas-- After being disappointed a few times, how many times will you keep trying to buy gas there?