Good SHTF Survival Fiction Books

Guest Lester Weevils

Thaks, Lester, for the sampling. I have never read it. Strange...as much as I have read, I just seemed to miss this.

The writing style seems very good to me. It's descriptive and easy to follow, in a style that I like.

Guess that's another to add to the list.

I searched google images looking for “Transistorized Control System for Unit Six-B”. It is such a famous book, the blueprint is a featured theme in the first part of the book, described so well-- Hoping that an artist sometime or t'other would have made a beautiful rendering of such a schematic, illuminated in medieval scrollwork, cherubim, climbing vines and gold leaf.

But all I found was a song titled “Transistorized Control System for Unit Six-B", unfortunately a horrible distorted song by some grunge industrial band. Which is a shame, since it would be a fine name for a well-done song. But maybe nobody has yet done a song entitled "Negative Twist of Nothingness" which also seems a phrase of Miller's which enchants many people, judging by internet hits to articles and blogs.

Recently re-read A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller. It is one of the best SF books ever done IMO, 1960, and it is basically the only thing Miller ever published-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Canticle_for_Leibowitz

Reread that about a year ago myself -- the time span perspective, nature of human perception concerning divinity as (mis)interpreted through historical events, the cycles of renewal and loss without lessons learned and the like attains mucho heaviosity. :) Action junkies need not apply however.

- OS

• Like 1

Good post Lester and Thanks. :up:

I read "A Canticle for Leibowitz" the first time only about 3 years ago. It definitely is very well written.

OS, your description is dead on the money Sir. I would definitely recommend "Leibowitz" to anyone interested in this genre of literature.

Just received the last 4 Holding Their Own books in the morning mail. About to start #4. 

So far they have been pretty good. They actually remind me somewhat of the orginal Survivalist Novels by Jerry Ahern.

Guest Lester Weevils

Reread that about a year ago myself -- the time span perspective, nature of human perception concerning divinity as (mis)interpreted through historical events, the cycles of renewal and loss without lessons learned and the like attains mucho heaviosity. :) Action junkies need not apply however.

I don't pay conscious attention to symbolism. If the author wants to say something then he can dam well go ahead and be captain obvious and spit it out, far as I'm concerned. :)

Hollywood could cure the lack of action in a jiffy. They could whip out St Leibowitz and the Roller Maids of the Apocalypse. 

Scantily clad roller maids more generously endowed than Salma Hayek. Wearing little but roller skates, ammo belts and nun hats. Wielding AK47, turkish scimitars, squiggly Indian daggars and explosive throwing stars. It would be even more gooder than Nazis at the Center of the Earth!

Edited by Lester Weevils

I like the visual there Lester. :up:

You ever think about doing any script writing? :pleased:

hipower;

I enjoyed the Ahern series back in the 80's as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't in some small part influential on the Holding Their Own series.

But Holding Their Own is certainly better grounded. :pleased:

• 3 weeks later...

I like the visual there Lester. :up:

You ever think about doing any script writing? :pleased:

hipower;

I enjoyed the Ahern series back in the 80's as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't in some small part influential on the Holding Their Own series.
But Holding Their Own is certainly better grounded. :pleased:

I agree. Guessing here, but with the age of the Survivalist books, Joe Nobody could have been a fan. Not dissing Joe, these are well written books. My only complaint with them, and I just finished the7th, is that Bishop, and the other characters, sure seem to recover from injuries quickly.

Overall, I have enjoyed all seven books, now looking for the next batch of reading material.

BTW, anyone have any ideas about a continuation of the series? I haven't found anything to indicate a yes or no on it.
  • Like 1

I found a great series on Amazon. 5 stars in my opinion and the books are cheap too. Even cheaper if you have a Kindle. 

Apocalypse Law

http://www.amazon.com/Apocalypse-Law-John-Grit-ebook/dp/B004TBDFIA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1403401054&sr=8-3&keywords=apocalypse+law+5

I agree decent series for the money...

Also, the sequel to 77 days in September was released a month or so back..

I'd appreciate a head's up on the "Holding Their Own series" too if anybody hears anything about the next book...but yeah...hipower...they sure do mend quickly in that series LOL.

I'm halfway through the [url=http://www.amazon.com/The-Carrington-Effect-Paperback-Common/dp/B00HR6ZXOI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403431364&sr=8-2&keywords=carrington+effect] The Carrington Effect[/url] and it's a decent read so far. And I like the setting being in our region as well.

I just checked out the "Apocalypse Law" series on Amazon and it looks interesting. Thanks Erik.

I added them to my "wish list". :pleased:

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Forsaking-Home-Survivalist-American/dp/0142181307/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1403431650&sr=1-1&keywords=forsaking+home] Forsaking Home by A.American[/url] should be mailed out in a few days when it's released. I've enjoyed his works as well.

Guest theconstitutionrocks

Not too much into fiction but...

One Second After

and..non-fiction

Nuclear War Survival Skills

FM 21-76

Special Forces Medical Handbook

Special Forces Operational Handbook (can't remeber the FM number)

The Ranger Handbook

FM 7-8

The Merck Manual

Where there is no doctor/dentist

And a plethera of other references relative to food storage, automotive maintenance (kindergarten picture book level for me), alternative power, etc.

May be a bit dated on the FM series numbers...I beg your forgiveness

Looking into The Carrington Effect. Thanks prag.

You're welcome my friend.

It was RobertNashville that originally recommended it in this thread.

It's written by a physician around Nashville...

so it's an interesting perspective...to me at least...since I spent the majority of my waking hours with a fine group of Constitution Loving, Second Amendment exercising ER Physicians and RN's. :pleased:

I hope you enjoy it and would like to hear your feedback if you do read it.

You're welcome my friend.

It was RobertNashville that originally recommended it in this thread.

It's written by a physician around Nashville...

so it's an interesting perspective...to me at least...since I spent the majority of my waking hours with a fine group of Constitution Loving, Second Amendment exercising ER Physicians and RN's. :pleased:

I hope you enjoy it and would like to hear your feedback if you do read it.

I just recently started the Carrington Effect even though I've had it a while; about 35% into it right now.  I'm enjoying it so far.

It took a while to get the major characters introduced and to set the stage for the events that lead up to the catastrophes but I think that's to be expected. My only criticism, and it's a small one, is that I don't think Mr. Dill's proof reader did a very good job. :)  I keep finding "missing" words where it's obvious what the author intended (or maybe did actually) write but it's not in the printing.  These kind of things are easy to overcome as our minds just naturally feel in the blanks but still, I know from experience that if I'm catching them there are probably plenty I'm missing!!!  ;)

• Like 2

LOL Robert, so many books in this genre suffer the same malady. I've just come to accept it as a part of "how it goes"... :pleased:

Just a head's up: [url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/0142181307/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_dp_1] "Forsaking Home" (book 4) by A. American"[/url] will release tomorrow.

I had preordered it some time ago and it shipped yesterday and will arrive tomorrow. I do like my Amazon Prime. :up:

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished The Dog Stars by Peter Heller - it's not a typical post-apocalypse book, but I think it's a very good one and I really enjoyed it.  No zombies, a few gun battles, some fly fishing, and a lot of very 'human' moments. 

I'm attempting to read Apocalypse Drift by Joe Nobody... 60 Kindle pages in and I'm probably going to give up on this one.  The characters aren't very interesting or particularly likable. There's no super villain or protagonist to pull against.  I can't recommend this one.

I'm attempting to read Apocalypse Drift by Joe Nobody... 60 Kindle pages in and I'm probably going to give up on this one.  The characters aren't very interesting or particularly likable. There's no super villain or protagonist to pull against.  I can't recommend this one.

Thanks for the head's up.

I looked at it, but the reviews weren't very good. Appreciate the first hand info jgrady.

I read Apocalypse Drift...didn't have any particular complaints although I couldn't begin to tell you the story line so I guess it wasn't very memorable either! LOL

Save yourself the time. It doesn't get any better. Pretty horrible book honestly. 

Lots of good info n here for ones who like to read this genre...but hard to keep track of..wonder if it would be possible to have a sticky (I think thats what it's called) on this thread with an updateable master list?  Then one could see all the books without having to read every thread.  Once one decides to check into a particular book, you could then do a search for the title and rad reviews...good idea, or not?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...