Decockers

knox

I am a striker pin fan.  The thought of something going wrong with releasing the hammer when I want to "relax" the gun doesn't sit well with me.

What are the chances of a Decocker failing and the hammer striking the cartridge?  Am I just over paranoid?

Thanks for the input!

Decockers have been around a lot longer than striker fired pistols.  ;)

It is disconcerting when that hammer drops but the safety prevents the hammer from hitting the firing pin. Get your hands on one if you can, hold the hammer and work the decocker.  You'll see then.

That's reassuring.  I know they must be safe, because they sell a ton of them.  It just goes against everything in me to drop the hammer when there is a round chambered.  I know that I could eject the mag, rack the slide and empty it.  I don't know...  You are right, I do need to get my hands on one.

It's the main reason I haven't even looked at Sigs.  The Walther PPQ will be my next purchase, but obviously I am interested in branching out to a hammer fired pistol or I wouldn't be asking such questions  :wave:

Berettas, for example have a simple & nearly fail proof design. There's a firing pin block that prevents the hammer from ever touching the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled all the way back, even if it's dropped directly on the hammer on concrete. When the trigger's pulled, the firing pin block raises up out of the way to allow contact. I know a lot of guys cringe when they hear that "snap" sound when the decocker's used.

• Like 1
[quote name="knox" post="896965" timestamp="1359248408"]   What are the chances of a Decocker failing and the hammer striking the cartridge?     [/quote] Never heard of this happening, ever. Perhaps a person might blame the decocker for an ND, but if the failure can't be replicated it's BS. You are safe. If decockers didn't work they wouldn't be on tens of millions of handguns.
  • Moderators
Hate them. Can't stand them at all. It isn't that I don't trust them to operate correctly, I do. I don't doubt at all that a well made gun with a decocker will function as designed. I just don't like the DA/SA trigger. I want the trigger to feel the same every time I operate it.
  • Like 1
[quote name="TrickyNicky" post="897167" timestamp="1359272003"]The best advise I think anyone can offer.[/quote] Always, regardless of decockers/no decockers, safeties/no safeties, loaded/unloaded. Pretty much rule one of gun handling.

Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction when operating the decocker.  They're handy, but I don't trust them.

This ... the couple decockers I've owned - I was always nervous around.  I've since moved to striker fired pistolas ....

[quote name="jughead" post="897187" timestamp="1359279372"]from experience. DO NOT trust the de-cocker on a cz- 52 even when new many years ago they were known to sometimes go bang[/quote] Known by who? Internet rumor?
The thing about decockers is, you dont have to use them. Ive never seen a decocker on a Ruger or S&W double action revolver and they dont seem to have major issues with it. What is so wrong with finger on the trigger and thumb on the hammer and slowly lowering the hammer?

I have owned guns ( hk usp, sig 229, walther p22) with decockers but dont use them. I dont own them anymore because they couldnt be carried "cocked and locked". That is the only reason I dont have Sigs now is because of this. I would be happy to own some of the fine firearms that Sig produces but not without a manual safety for "cocked and locked" carry.
[quote name="nightrunner" post="897195" timestamp="1359285287"]That is the only reason I dont have Sigs now is because of this. I would be happy to own some of the fine firearms that Sig produces but not without a manual safety for "cocked and locked" carry.[/quote] They have P226 and P220 single action only pistols. They are just like a 1911; you carry cocked and on safe. I fired the 226 (XFive) and it was, by far, the best pistol I have ever fired.

Basically for a single action trigger with double strike capabilities. There aren't many compact or full size for that matter, double stack single action pistols.

Due to lack of demand, I'd say.  If there was a roaring, pent up demand for double-stack 1911's, someone would fill it.

[quote name="enfield" post="897244" timestamp="1359294890"]Due to lack of demand, I'd say.  If there was a roaring, pent up demand for double-stack 1911's, someone would fill it.[/quote] There are a couple companies that already do. Too fat.