The Walking Dead - Season 3.5

Come on, man. It's better than those episodes of Dancing With The Stars you watch with the old lady.

You're not supposed to tell that to the boys! I feel betrayed. :D

Hey... at least dancing would have some type of conclusion. WD just ended on a really weak note. The governor manages to wipe out the entire woodbury party firing from the hip yet Maggie and Glen can't even hit them when they're running out single file.

And if Woodbury is empty! why would you go back to the prison instead of just moving in???

I'm frustrated.

I finished watching The Bible last night, and decided to hold TWD for last at the 11p showing (because I prefer Vikings on the History Channel to TWD at this point, and it aires at 10p.)  Man, what a dud to end the night. 

The finale to The Bible was outstanding.  Vikings was outstanding, then TWD thuds leaving me angry as I try to go to bed. 

There was no cliffhanger leaving me waiting til next season.  There was no resolution to the plot points that have been building all season (Governor vs. Rick, Michonne, Maggie, etc)...

But hey, at least we finally got the Governor vs. Milton trope resolved...because I know that's been eating at everyone..."Oh man, what's gonna happen when Milton and the Gov finally go head to head ?1!1?!??1!!!!?!?!?!?"

The Gov and Prison arch wasn't all that interesting to me in the comics...so I was glad to know if was going to be over last night...only it wasn't.  They are just going to hunker down in the prison I guess, with a bunch of baggage in the form of new people.  I would prefer them just go back to the farm. 

At least Laurie was killed off in Season 3, but yet I still have to see her every other episode. 

That episode left me not caring what happens next.  Hopefully the Governor goes off to become the next Democrat mayor of DC or Detroit and we never have to see him again.  He is no more rotten than what they have had in recent years. 

Awful. 

I am a little concerned now about AMC shows.  Hell On Wheels was great the first season and then still pretty good in season 2, then it had a totally WTF season finale for S2 that may have killed the series.  They fired the writers from TWD after season 1...yet it was the best season.  Breaking Bad has been amazing for so long, and is wrapping up this summer.  Will they be able to close it out strong? 

The abortion that was that last TWD episode has me doubting it.

i was utterly disappointed in the shootout at the prison. all they did was run them off. I liked how glenn and maggie popped up...

Yep, two full auto weapons, hitting nothing. Again.

There was mention later at the road confrontation of only one person having been killed?

- OS

...but if Carl was my kid... The belt would be coming off.

The problem there is that Carl is right.  In fact, I don't think Carl went far enough in his response to Rick.  Back at the farm, Rick had a talk with Carl and, basically, told him that his childhood was over.  He said that he was sorry it had to be that way but that Carl was going to have to put the little kid stuff behind him.  Well, he did and he did a very good job of it.  Last night, I was hoping he was going to say that to Rick and point out that Rick was going to have take his own advice and put the old life behind him because the Officer Friendly crap of being wishy-washy and giving known enemies the benefit of the doubt keeps getting good people - their people - killed.  I was also hoping he would point out that Rick was all set to turn Michonne - one of their own people - over to the Governor to be tortured and killed but that he was now all upset over Carl doing what needed done to a known, armed enemy who had come to kill them - which is a pretty hypocritical attitude, really.  I was actually cheering for Carl when he pointed out that Rick's letting that one inmate go instead of killing him when he had the chance (and should have) resulted in Lori (and T-Dog, although Carl didn't mention him) dying - not to mention Carl having to shoot his own mother in the head - and then pointed out that Merle would still be alive if Rick had quietly killed the Governor when he had him alone in a room (which would also have meant that Milton and Andrea would have lived.)  I love how he ended his response to Rick with something along the lines of, "...now go kill him before he kills any more of us."  If anything, Carl needs to take the belt to Rick because Carl is acting more like an adult making hard choices and living with them while Rick is acting more like a little kid who is whining because he can't deal with the way things are.

I also agree that Carl was right to shoot the Woodbury guy.  Like others, I don't think he was going to drop the shotgun.  He was hesitating too much, moving too close to Carl and obviously (to me, anyhow) sizing up how he could probably take out one kid and an old man before they could get him.  Besides, once someone comes to your 'house' with a shotgun looking to kill you, your entire [surviving] family and every friend you have left in the world what do you do with them even if you let them surrender?  There are no authorities to turn them over to, no way to have a trial or to safely keep him around.  What the heck were they supposed to do?  Just let him go to come back later?  Take him back to the prison, lock him in a cell and waste valuable resources keeping him in food and water?  Let him walk around loose in the prison where you have kids and even a baby, meaning you would either have to keep an eye on him 24/7 or take a chance on him hurting or killing them if you ever let your guard down?  Or maybe he would just scope out the whole place then eventually sneak away, leaving a 'back door' open for the Governor to sneak back in later (when Carl shot the guy, they didn't know that the Gov had murdered all his people.)

By making what I think was the right call, Carl avoided another Randall-like situation.  He avoided the group being in conflict for days because they "couldn't" keep him locked up, "couldn't" kill him and "couldn't" let him go.  What do we do with the guy who tried to kill us and who we can't trust?  Bang.  Problem solved.

Honestly, overall I think the scene with Carl was the high point of a pretty poor episode.  I mean, sure some 'significant' things happened but overall this had the feel of another 'filler' episode, not a season friggin' finale. 

Unlike some, I wasn't 'ready' for Andrea to die.  If that was in the cards, however, they could have made it a little more of a 'big deal'.  As it was, her death was kind of lame.  I mean, she fought off that walker in the RV with a screwdriver way back when, before she was nearly as hardened and skilled at killing them.  Just a week or two ago she ran through a countryside full of the things armed only with a small pocket knife and killed a few walkers on the way.  By the time Milton reanimated, Andrea had a hand free - I expected she would be able to stab one handle from the pliers through an eye and drop the Milton walker fairly easily but, instead, it bit her.  Like I said, kind of lame.

Once she was bitten, I was hoping they would at least set things up so she could take out the governor and maybe even be instrumental in bringing the Woodbury survivors and Rick's group together as her final, living act (well, before shooting herself, that is.)  Instead, the three amigos (gov and his two henchmen) ride off into the sunset and Andrea goes out in a fairly inglorious manner.  Pretty anticlimactic, really - especially for a season finale.

Now they are setting things up to drag the prison story arch out even more and possibly have the governor around, later.  Personally, I was looking forward to the season finale when those, two things could finally be put to rest - and they didn't resolve either of them.  I realize that life doesn't fit neatly into 'seasons' but this is a television show.  It should, at least to some extent (especially when the way things are going gets boring.)

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

Yep, two full auto weapons, hitting nothing. Again.

There was mention later at the road confrontation of only one person having been killed?

- OS

All season I've been whining about their marksmanship too. They can't hit the broad side of a barn with a shoulder fired rifle.

Yet last season when they are overrun at the farm and escaping, they're all capable of one-handed head shots from moving vehicles with handguns. WTF?!!

Guest RevScottie

The zombies will continue to be less of the story line and that will probably hurt ratings. The graphic novel has always been about people, their relationships, and what they will do to survive. In reality the zombies should figure into things less and less as the various groups learn how to better handle them.

Really was a dud for a season ender though. The previous episode where Merle died would have been a better one to end on than last night's was. The way it is now there is nothing unresolved or interesting enough to really excite me about watching another season.

It is really kind of telling that I thought last week's episode (season premiere) of Revolution was at least as good as - maybe better than - this week's episode (season finale) of The Walking Dead.

I'm not giving up hope, yet, but I am getting closer.  I have no problem with character development and interpersonal conflicts among characters.  In fact, I think that is what sets this show apart from your run of the mill zombie movie that couldn't sustain being a television show.  That said, there is a balance to maintain.  After all, the show is called "The Walking Dead" and zombies are still the central 'hook'.  Also, even the character development and interpersonal conflicts can be done without turning the whole thing into a soap opera.  I'm tuning in to watch "The Walking Dead", not "Days of Our Undeaths."

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

It is really kind of telling that I thought last week's episode (season premiere) of Revolution was at least as good - maybe better - than this week's episode (season finale) of The Walking Dead.

I'm not giving up hope, yet, but I am getting closer.  I have no problem with character development and interpersonal conflicts among characters.  In fact, I think that is what sets this show apart from your run of the mill zombie movie that couldn't sustain being a television show.  That said, there is a balance to maintain.  After all, the show is called "The Walking Dead" and zombies are still the central 'hook'.  Also, even the character development and interpersonal conflicts can be done without turning the whole thing into a soap opera.  I'm tuning in to watch "The Walking Dead", not "Days of Our Undeaths."

Exactly. The zombies this season were just a backdrop to whatever else was going on. I don't mind human betrayal at all. Shane shooting Otis in the leg was a VERY powerful statement for instance. But I really don't like the soap opera mindset.

Plus I don't think they did much for character development this season. You might see Carl for 10 minutes...then he's practically gone for a few episodes. Or Carol has a small speaking part once per episode. Just enough to remind you that they are there but not enough to make you actually understand where they are coming from. I would rather them shoot the entire series band of brothers style where you focus on the POV of a single character for an episode... that way you really become attached to their struggle. Then when something happens, you can honestly FEEL the impact.

I know, I know... they did that with Andrea somewhat. But as I've expressed, she bored me to tears.

when Carl explained his logic for shooting the kid I thought it was the single best scene of this season.  I particularly liked Carl dismissing Rick and then walking away.

It does not seem like anyone here is particularly sorry the season is finally over.

And for the umpteenth time, how does Rick's revolver ejecting shells, inaccurate gunfire, incredibly accurate gunfire(at times) and all the other questionable things bother anyone when the premise of the show is ZOMBIES?   Why can't all of that happen?  LOL

And for the umpteenth time, how does Rick's revolver ejecting shells, inaccurate gunfire, incredibly accurate gunfire(at times) and all the other questionable things bother anyone when the premise of the show is ZOMBIES?   Why can't all of that happen?  LOL

The gunfire is a problem because it's inconsistent. Zombies are slow, can be found in herds, want to eat you, and can be killed by destroying the brain. It's not real, but it's consistent so viwers suspend disbelief and don't question it. Head shot hip-fires from a handgun at 200 yards followed by scoped rifles missing at 50 yards is not consistent. Inconsistencies in a story line kill the immersion factor by making the viewer focus on the fact that the story is pretend. The story the writers are trying to draw us into is interrupted by "hey....wait a minute....how could that have just happened when last week they did X?"

As for the safeties and revolvers ejecting, that's irritating for much the same reason. The details can make or break a story. The viewer is either engaged in the story or they aren't. Missing the details hurts that. Besides that, it's simply wrong. It would be like having a sound effect for a top-fuel dragster every time they drive by in that Hyundai. That said, it's only going to interrupt the immersion for enthusiasts like us that would notice those details. Most viewers won't notice that stuff, but anyone can notice the marksmanship inconsistency. That's why I think that's a much bigger deal.

The "safety" comment from Andrea, I think, was a throwback to season 1 when she had that nice handgun but didn't know how to use it. I think it was a wink-and-a-nod to how far she has come from scared dingy blonde to zombie-stomper. Sort of an inside-thing between her and Rick, and not so much a comment that his revolver has a safety.

• Like 4

The gunfire is a problem because it's inconsistent. Zombies are slow, can be found in herds, want to eat you, and can be killed by destroying the brain. It's not real, but it's consistent so viwers suspend disbelief and don't question it. Head shot hip-fires from a handgun at 200 yards followed by scoped rifles missing at 50 yards is not consistent. Inconsistencies in a story line kill the immersion factor by making the viewer focus on the fact that the story is pretend. The story the writers are trying to draw us into is interrupted by "hey....wait a minute....how could that have just happened when last week they did X?"

As for the safeties and revolvers ejecting, that's irritating for much the same reason. The details can make or break a story. The viewer is either engaged in the story or they aren't. Missing the details hurts that. Besides that, it's simply wrong. It would be like having a sound effect for a top-fuel dragster every time they drive by in that Hyundai. That said, it's only going to interrupt the immersion for enthusiasts like us that would notice those details. Most viewers won't notice that stuff, but anyone can notice the marksmanship inconsistency. That's why I think that's a much bigger deal.

The "safety" comment from Andrea, I think, was a throwback to season 1 when she had that nice handgun but didn't know how to use it. I think it was a wink-and-a-nod to how far she has come from scared dingy blonde to zombie-stomper. Sort of an inside-thing between her and Rick, and not so much a comment that his revolver has a safety.

Good post. And your comment about Andrea and the safety is spot on IMO. Exactly what I was thinking.
  • Like 2

.....The "safety" comment from Andrea, I think, was a throwback to season 1 when she had that nice handgun but didn't know how to use it. I think it was a wink-and-a-nod to how far she has come from scared dingy blonde to zombie-stomper. Sort of an inside-thing between her and Rick, and not so much a comment that his revolver has a safety.

Good post. And your comment about Andrea and the safety is spot on IMO. Exactly what I was thinking.

Me three. I got the "safety comment" fine.

- OS

• Like 1

my first thought was wait, its a revolver, but then I remembered ^^^

Edited by hlb14

Me three. I got the "safety comment" fine.

- OS

Admittedly, I didn't remember that at first, but it sorta puzzled me till my memeory got jogged by the posts here.

But agree with that the line was a reference to the handgun training and letting Rick know all was well with her, i.e.: that she knew what had to be done and didn't want the memeory and guilt to fall on one of her "family."

I've been cheering for Carl this season for being a lil bada$$ and taking things like a man (or in the case of his mom, better than a man...compared to his dad). The more I think about that, the more it kind of makes me feel sorry for him. He's making cold, calculating decisions that he shouldn't have to make at his age. Sure it will make him tough, but it's just as apt to make him a monster.

Agreed. I think they'll take Carl to that point in Season 4. It will make his character very difficult for many viewers to understand, but all the better for it. Besides...."monster" is relative in their world.

I agree that Carl did the right thing by shooting the guy. Hershel's dumber than a dumb thing that is stupid if he thought that guy was trying to surrender. Carl said "drop it", not "walk closer and hand it over." The guy thought he had an old man, a girl, a baby, and a little boy right where he wanted them. All he had to do was get close enough and overpower Carl and he'd have them all. Oh little did he know.....

On the bright side....now they have a .50.   :)

I sure hope they stopped by where the Gov slaughtered his people and collected all that useful ammo and firearms. The Gov and has road trip buddies just left it all.

Edited by monkeylizard
Guest nra37922

Agreed. I think they'll take Carl to that point in Season 4. It will make his character very difficult for many viewers to understand, but all the better for it. Besides...."monster" is relative in their world.

I agree that Carl did the right thing by shooting the guy. Hershel's dumber than a dumb thing that is stupid if he thought that guy was trying to surrender. Carl said "drop it", not "walk closer and hand it over." The guy thought he had an old man, a girl, a baby, and a little boy right where he wanted them. All he had to do was get close enough and overpower Carl and he'd have them all. Oh little did he know.....

On the bright side....now they have a .50.   :)

I sure hope they stopped by where the Gov slaughtered his people and collected all that useful ammo and firearms. The Gov and has road trip buddies just left it all.

Somehow I doubt it as there was also a very useful vehicle there that everyone was in with their guns and I didn't see it driven into the prison.

Somehow I doubt it as there was also a very useful vehicle there that everyone was in with their guns and I didn't see it driven into the prison.

That's about the biggest thing that bothers me with this show. No one seems to have any concerns about weapons, supplies, or transportation until something is written in for a specific purpose. 

I'd like to think that I would be a little more in tune with needs as to consumables like ammo and fuel,  not to mention all the weaponry left behind after every engagement.