Do you guys re-size brass before or after you clean?

Something I was wondering. My Honady resizing die is also the decapper. My first round of brass is going to be cleaned already. I would think you would like to have the spent primer knocked out before you clean to get the pocket scrubbed. Is it ok to run a dirty case though the sizer though? I would guess that as long as there isn't built up crud on the outside it would be ok.

Thanks Guys 

I have a Lee decapper die that gets used on all brass back from the range, then they get tumbled in SS, dried, and primed. My sizing dies have the decapping pin removed so as to not remove the primers I've already intsalled into the clean primer pockets. This way by the time the brass gets to a caliber specific die set it is spotless clean.

size after.  If you size, then clean, its another break in the assembly line, you have to pull it off the press an extra time. Also, if you size, then clean, you are jacking dirty brass into your sizer die, which could ruin it.

Edited by Jonnin
Guest Nutts&Bolts
I use the decapper on rifle...
Of course rifle is a pain if you need Lots of it or don't have all the neat toys to prep the brass.
I don't have the toys:(

Shoot, I never noticed that the Lee decapper is only about $12. No excuse not to buy that.

It also allows you to decap and prep cases you pick up at the range that you may not have dies for at the moment. I don't prime cases I don't have dies for, just store them by caliber in case I aquire a gun in that caliber, or as potential trade fodder for cases I do use from friends that reload.

if you are tumbling with walnut or corncob it will only plug up the primer pocket not reliably "scrub" it clean

tumble to clean up for inspection and to protect the dies from scratching

primer pockets can get pretty crummy before they wont take a primer I have never cleaned a pistol primer pocket and my M-1 ammo has never been cleaned either no seating or firing problems so far 

but I :   tumble to clean for inspecting then lube resize then back to the tumbler to clean off lube  for trimming and primer pocket swaging ( if needed) deburring and use a small pick to clear the pockets of media  but the Universal decapper seems like a good idea and at $12.00 may be added to the setup soon

load as usual

John

I take a few extra steps.  i try to keep my dies and media as clean as possible.  this might sound like a lot of work but once I got the system down my brass and dies and media are like new.

1. clean brass in ultrasonic cleaner, let dry

2. deprime and resize

3.tumble in walnut media to clean more, i don't use fine media for pistol brass to prevent the flash holes from getting plugged.  fine media is used on rifle brass.

4. tumble in corncob media to polish

start reloading

Edited by kilo33

I tumble about 30-45 min before decapping if I am going to use a caliber specific decapper.  Then I decap the primers and throw it in a sonic cleaner for about 20 minutes, then into a dehydrator and then back into the tumbler for a couple of hours to get it shinny.

I tumble first then deprime/size my brass, because I quit cleaning primer pockets about 3 months into my reloading hobby. I've never been happier.

In all fairness, I only reload pistol ammo for plinking. If I were reloading rifle rounds, I'd use my lonely universal depriming setup then tumble and clean pockets. Edited by BigK