Why are revolvers in short supply ?

tercel89

Maybe while some folks are trying to buy semi-auto handguns with standard ('high') capacity magazines in anticipation of some kind of 'ban' others are looking to buy revolvers so that they know their guns will still be legal after the same, feared ban?  Or maybe it is just kind of the same reason that ammo for the normally less popular calibers like .22 WMR, .25acp and .32acp is a bit hard to find - because people are in a buying frenzy.

I have to go along with this. Tooting my own horn here, but I saw this coming, not just a run on AR/AK and semi-auto pistols; but told my wife that we'd see the wheelguns get scarce as well. She asked why, and I told her that most people would go for the fact they are easier to use fo some, and that the real hardcore among us would go for them becasuse they thought all guns would be affected before this is over.

I think there is a little of both in the mix, but in any event, the normal handgun caliber ammo  is just as hard to find as all else.

with such dwindlin supply before long there'll be a waitin list for 00 shot

Tell me about it. Went to Wally World two days ago grocery shopping with the wife, and naturally I had to visit the ammo counter. Usually they have 12 ga. 00 buck and I buy a box or two just to slowly get some stock. Not today, they had nothing I could use what-so-ever except two 5 round boxes of 12 ga. rifled slugs, and they followed me home.

I got a heads up from a friend that NAA revolvers of all things went up in price dramatically. I was able to score one in another shop for $20 cheaper than a new one would cost a dealer. My buddy has said people are buying revolvers for every imaginable reason. Some people fear that all autos or autos holding more than 6 rounds could receive a ban, looks unlikely now.

I think the threat of universal background checks has a lot of people out buying anything they can before that possibility occurs because anything purchased prior to universal background checks becoming a reality will be more difficult to track assuming no national registry of preowned guns....of course, if that occurrs, then a lot of guns will probably go underground anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest flashlight Dave

I do like wheel guns.  I have a couple.  My favorite is the S&W 642 38 Special. I bought last year from Buds Guns.  They had a shipment of the lockless 642's and I grabbed one.  It's a great carry in the summer with cargo shorts.  It fits in the baggy front pocket and hides excellent. 

I love my 642 as well. i wish I had a lockless one but mine is broken in well now. Had it sense IDK I think 05, 06. The grip fits perfect.

I will admit I traded my Beretta 92 for a Ruger GP100, and my Beretta Storm subcompact for a Ruger SP101.  I have never looked back.  You simply cannot beat a revolver for durability and reliability.  My GP100 will handle the hottest .357 magnum load I can muster with no problems.  My SP101 is small, but has enough front weight that it is easy to shoot with magnum loads.  The two of them will be around long after I am gone, and they caliber match my new Rossi 92 lever action.

I honestly do not own a semi auto handgun anymore, and don't regret it.  

Awesome.  I also have the Ruger SP101.  And I want a Ruger GP100 as well.  I like my revolvers.

Why are revolvers in short supply ? I thought the big crazy thing was the semi-auto's ? I am waiting for a Ruger LCR revolver and now on a waiting list . This sucks so bad .

I never thought that I'd be on a waiting list for a 5 shot revolver .

Revolvers are in short supply because stupid people elected obama.

• Like 4

It seems there are still a fair number of 4" and 6" guns out there, although at least %10 higher than last year. When the barrel get <4" is when they really start to get scarce and pricey.  3" M66s are going for a grand or more these days. Now that most of the police trade in guns are bought up that the hopes of getting a sub $300 S&W look to be gone.

Latest K Frame acquisition. M13-3 3"- LOVE ME SOME K-FRAMES :rock:

M13-33inch2.jpg

This one took a lot of hunting down. Almost NIB for a decent price.

It seems there are still a fair number of 4" and 6" guns out there, although at least %10 higher than last year. When the barrel get <4" is when they really start to get scarce and pricey.  3" M66s are going for a grand or more these days. Now that most of the police trade in guns are bought up that the hopes of getting a sub $300 S&W look to be gone.

Latest K Frame acquisition. M13-3 3"- LOVE ME SOME K-FRAMES :rock:

M13-33inch2.jpg

This one took a lot of hunting down. Almost NIB for a decent price.

Great score on that one. Hard to find and many in rough condition.

well, a lot can be said about dependability with no FTF or FTE or stovepiping, but most lightweights today are 5 rounders.  That's the only drawback I guess, but could be an important one in some situations.  I'd rather have 15 or 17 if I had a choice of course.

Jams are very rare in semis today, and fast and easy to fix. Can't really fix tiny round count.

I have two pistols suitable fro self defense.

One is a Glock 21 the pther is a S&W 625 5 inch .45 acp revolver.

They both are very reliable.

I ike havong the common caliber for pistol ammo.

I don't thin k I would ever sell the big Smith it is too much fun to shoot.

I've bought two revolvers in the last month.  A S&W Model 19-3 357mag 2 1/2" snubby that my wife will use as her bedside gun and for her vehicle after she gets her HCP.  Prelock and pinned barrel.  She felt a little intimidated by the autos we looked at and liked the simplicity of a revover.  She will carry 38spl +P in the 19-3.  It is chambered for six rounds and she feels much more comfortable not having to be concerned with racking the slide, clearing misfeeds etc.  Just point and shoot.

I also bought a Ruger Security Six SS 4" 357Mag 4" chambered for six rounds as a woods, mountain trout fishing handgun.  I can carry either holstered or in my fishing vest and not have to worry about it getting beat up.  It is built like a tank and can easily handle full 357 loads.

I can see why those that don't spend a ton of time at the range can decide on a revolver as their best choice. 

I've bought two revolvers in the last month.  A S&W Model 19-3 357mag 2 1/2" snubby that my wife will use as her bedside gun and for her vehicle after she gets her HCP.  Prelock and pinned barrel.  She felt a little intimidated by the autos we looked at and liked the simplicity of a revover.  She will carry 38spl +P in the 19-3.  It is chambered for six rounds and she feels much more comfortable not having to be concerned with racking the slide, clearing misfeeds etc.  Just point and shoot.

I also bought a Ruger Security Six SS 4" 357Mag 4" chambered for six rounds as a woods, mountain trout fishing handgun.  I can carry either holstered or in my fishing vest and not have to worry about it getting beat up.  It is built like a tank and can easily handle full 357 loads.

I can see why those that don't spend a ton of time at the range can decide on a revolver as their best choice. 

Probably because it doesn't take a lot more training to operate a semi. For the advantages you get out of using one, the extra training is well worth it. An auto actually has less parts than most revolvers, and for long term abuse, I'd place money on a Glock outlasting most revolvers.

Guest LittleBear571
My first pistol is still my favorite one to shoot, my Taurus 357 6 shot 4" barrel. Everyone that shoots it loves it, and the thing feels like a hand cannon with some federal premium hydro shocks in it. I recently bought my mother a beautiful little smith and Wesson air weight 38, to teach someone handgun basics and safety there's nothing simpler than a good old' revolver.
I have been in the market for a small .38 for some time now for pocket carry and have had no luck at all under $350. It really sucks. I don't want to spend a lot because the only time I would carry is when wearing a suite with no belt, which is about twice a year. I don't wanna spend much on what I know will be a safe queen. <br /><br /><br />JTM<br />Sent from my sending thing

I have been in the market for a small .38 for some time now for pocket carry and have had no luck at all under $350. It really sucks. I don't want to spend a lot because the only time I would carry is when wearing a suite with no belt, which is about twice a year. I don't wanna spend much on what I know will be a safe queen. <br /><br /><br />JTM<br />Sent from my sending thing

With that in mind why not look for something that may serve more than the one purpose? If you have something nice that you shoot well you may be more inclined to carry it more often making the extra money well spent.