Suspicious Behavior... what should I do?

Guest Ceolas

I second the motion activated light.

We share a driveway with a neighbor further down and have an issue with cars idling just a few feet past our driveway on our property at 2am. (Waiting for the son to sneak out...)

Flood the spot with light and they won't stick around.

Rack a 12 gauge and they will move faster, but it may escalate or you might get a visit from the sheriff. Criminals have more rights than you do these days.

If possible,Get the tag,call the pd or emergency number and report it as a suspicious vehicle. The pd now have PC to stop and inquire.approaching with a weapon drawn,using lasers etc is provoking an assault. Making your presence known and asking if u can provide assistance may answer your question. Just because someone pulls into your drive at the end doesn't establish anything. Typically 15 feet off of the edge of the asphalt is still considered easement and or public domain. Without arguing about curtilage and borders err on the side of caution, but I wouldn't wear out emergency svcs just because a car comes around in what one may percieve to be a suspicious manner....

This has happened a couple of times in the past. The car sits in the driveway for less than a minute, but a lot longer than it would take to make a U-turn.

Approaching the car is not an option. It takes over a minute just to walk from the house to the gate 120 yards away.

I bought a 60 LED solar powered motion sensor light today at Harbor Freight. I'm going to buy a Skylink HA-434RTL Long Range Motion Sensor on Amazon to alert me when someone pulls up to the gate. I'm looking into CCTV security cameras and DVRs, but the camera will have to be battery powered and have a wireless range of 400 feet. I "might" be able to set it up in an out building that's only 250 feet from the gate.

I'm not sure a camera is necessary, though.

Talk to the neighbors, too.  They have just as much reason to be concerned about that kind of suspicious behavior as you.  

Ask them to keep an eye out, and touch base with them once a week or every other week.  In particular, ask them to note the vehicle and the time of the incident.  This will help you figure out if it's the same person snooping around each time.

Cameras are not overkill.  When my uncle's house in rural Georgia was burglarized five years ago, the only reason he got any of his possessions returned was the pictures his CCTV got of the criminals.

Back your vehicle in so you don't have to turn it around. When they pull up, slip into your car and drive down. You at least have better protection if things did happen to escalate. Then you can see their reaction. If they get the hell out quick you might have a better chance to get a plate number. I'd rather take my chances in two tons of steel than on foot.

If ya really dont want em back, throw a 1 foot wide,8 foot long strip of 1/2 plywood down with a bed of nails through it on your side of the driveway. 2 flats at once will surely keep em away.just remember its there! but i would def call the po po so they know its an ongoing problem.just be advised,its best to have a tag,and advise they are doing more than just turning around,U turns dont justify use of deadly force,or use of 911 ;) remember the guy in Alabama was pissed about the bus driver doing u turns,u dont wanna be stereotyped or profiled as a u turn hater ... all fun aside the HF plan sounds logical to let em know they cant stay 

Been in the situation before where I'm looking for a buddy's house out in the country and operating on less than stellar directions. Always worried about some backwoods yahoo coming after me for trespassing on his dirt farm. Maybe the guy was just lost.

Do ou have a shotgun? just walk out on the balcony there, walk out, put that double-barrel shotgun and fire two blasts outside the house. I promise you whoever's out there is Not coming in.

His location says Nashville and I believe it against the law to fire a gun anywhere in the city, which is the entire county. I know if I'm wrong that someone will correct me.

His location says Nashville and I believe it against the law to fire a gun anywhere in the city, which is the entire county. I know if I'm wrong that someone will correct me.

He was making a Uncle Joe dig.
  • Like 1

I've heard that you can shoot in the General Services district during daylight hours, with the normal caveats (not across a road, etc.).  Can't remember the source where I heard that, though.

As the old saying goes, "keep your AR close, and your pistol even closer". <The Book of Dennis, chapter 3, vs. 17, NDV, New Dennis Version>

I'm in the same boat, my driveway is 150 yards from the road and I see suspicious activity on occasion. A few weeks ago I had my mailbox intentionally run over, along with many other mailboxes in the county. We have crime here too like anywhere else and no doubt criminals out driving slow mostly during the night scoping out their next theft, vandalism or victim.

Unfortunately, the law doesn't allow me to confront suspicious people and vehicles off my property. Hell, I can't even legally protect my property on my property without becoming the criminal.

I am considering buying an outside surveillance camera system with record, night vision and zoom. It's a sad state of affairs when you have to resort to wasting more funds to protect self and property. It's even sadder when by law a criminal trespassing on your property meaning to steal from you or doing you / your family harm has any rights what-so-ever.

Not much you can do other than reporting it to your local report takers off property. On your property, best run and hide and let them have what they want or risk legal trouble, law suites and financial ruin.

As the old saying goes, "keep your AR close, and your pistol even closer". <The Book of Dennis, chapter 3, vs. 17, NDV, New Dennis Version>

Not much you can do other than reporting it to your local report takers off property. On your property, best run and hide and let them have what they want or risk legal trouble, law suites and financial ruin.

Eh, there's no law saying I can't take back what was taken from me, so I have no intention of hiding if someone comes to take my stuff. We have, as a society, demonized folks choose to protect their property and label them as "Rambos" and idiots. Well folks, ever think that the reason criminals are successful in their line of work is because we tolerate it?

And I hear the argument that "things" aren't worth dying for, and folks that say that miss the point completely. "Things" aren't worth a person's life, but the RIGHT to have "things" is. If you stand idly by while a person takes your "things" you have surrendered you rights at that point. If fighting for my right to property leads to legal issues I'm cool with that too. Perhaps some folks believe that is foolish, but I think it is equally foolish to pretend you have a right to property
  • 2 weeks later...
A different car stopped at my gate last night about dusk and set off the gate alarm. It stopped for a minute and then went up the road. After it was out of sight, I followed it. The guy stopped a couple miles up the road at a remote intersection. I passed him and turned around to get another look and a white late model full size 4-door Chevy pickup pulled up. The guy got out of the car and handed the guy in the pickup something through the window.

I stopped in the middle of the road and took a picture. Both vehicles sped away when they saw me. The car was a mid-2000 Ford Crown Victoria, in some really light color... gold, silver, maybe? It wasn't white, because the pickup was white and they looked different in the dusk. It could have been a Mercury Grand Marquis... The side profile and tail lights are similar.

I go the tag number of the car...

I called a friend who's a private investigator and he told me to call vice. I called last night and got no answer, so I'm trying again this morning.

Any advice on how to proceed? Edited by Dolomite_supafly

Any advice on how to proceed?

Yes, you call the Police and ask them to send an Officer or Deputy out to see you about a suspicious person. When they come out you tell them your story and give them the information you have. Narcotics isn’t going to be interested because you think you saw a dope deal, but Patrol Division will stop the car if they see it. If you make the Patrol Officers in your area aware of it; they will stop it if they see it.