Best Sub $400 9mm

dubya3488

Sr9c no doubt. The trigger is sooo nice<br /><br />Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

I agree with this. I don't own one, but I was very surprised/impressed when I shot a buddy's.
  • Like 1

In my opinion, most pistols are shot very little by owners. Even if they are shot a lot most are not hurt. I gave up on buying new years ago. Look at the used market, especially from another TGO member. I don't have one right now to sell but I have had many very good 9mm and 45's I would have sold....many for 350. I found a Ruger KP345 a while back and bought it way under your price and it has been the most accurate 45 I have ever shot.....go figure.

What about the Sccy? Does anyone own one? I've read some really good reviews of the 2nd generation, they're made in America, and it would leave enough money left for a nice holster and some ammo.

When I worked at a gunshop we had nothing but problems with the Sccy pistols.  Maybe the 2nd gen as been improved but I would stay away from the 1st gen.

All of the above mentioned pistols are nice, but don't buy without at least checking out the Taurus PT709 Slim. 7+1 9mm. Around $350 and a great gun to shoot and carry. I have a friend that has one and it's a really nice concealable pistol for under $400. Actually much better than the keltecs in my opinion and less expensive too. I saw one at Academy sports for just under $300 before December. Don't let the price fool you. These get good reviews. Edited by Randall53

In my opinion, most pistols are shot very little by owners. Even if they are shot a lot most are not hurt. I gave up on buying new years ago. Look at the used market, especially from another TGO member. I don't have one right now to sell but I have had many very good 9mm and 45's I would have sold....many for 350. I found a Ruger KP345 a while back and bought it way under your price and it has been the most accurate 45 I have ever shot.....go figure.

I wouldn't mind buying used at all either. I haven't been able to find anything as nice as the pistols mentioned here. Especially for the price. Most people are asking more than what they sell for new right now. However, if you happen to see one, especially on this forum, please shoot me a PM.

IMG_1399.jpg

Don't discount the used market. I picked up this model 39-2 a while back for $375. It was like new, and came with 4 magazines, box, tools, and all paperwork.

• Like 4

I would also recommend the Ruger SR9C. I owned one and it is Fairly light, shoots great, easy to conceal and never had one issue with it. I sold it here to a fellow TGO member. The only reason I sold it was I like Sig's better then any other handgun right now.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I am looking for something I can use for concealed carry, home defense, and some range shooting. Basically, I need a good all around gun. I have read a few recommendations for the Sccy CPX-2, the Ruger SR9c, and the Kel Tec PF-9.

If you go with the Kel Tec or the Sccy, there's a forum to discuss all things Kel Tec called KTOG. Since the SCCY is a clone of the Kel Tec P11, most of the mods for the P11 should work on the CPX-2.

I have no experience with any of these guns. I've owned two Kel Tec P11s, which the CPX-2 copied. They sometimes require a little tinkering to get right, but they have a great warranty and parts are cheap.  I think some/most parts are interchangeable. These lightweight guns sometimes have FTE problems. KTOG forum explains how to fix it.  

If you want a manual safety, I carry the Taurus 709 and like it a lot. It's thin and relatively lightweight. The downside is that its 7+1, just like the PF9.

A local shop here in Chattanooga used to regularly get in batches of Glock police trade-ins for $379 plus Tics and tax. I would also look for S&W 59series [3rd Gen]. They also had a value model called the 910 or 915. Good Luck Edited by Kevo

Lots of good suggestions here.  Some people don't like them but my wife really likes her Sig 250 in 9mm.  You can get one out the door for under $400.  They do have a LONG trigger pull as they are DAO, but it is a smooth trigger.  They can be had full sized, sup compact, or compact because the frames are interchangeable.  We've had 500 or so rounds though it with no malfs of anykind, HP and FMJ.

I had a Sig P250, it was pretty nice. I agree the Ruger P95 is a good value. I picked up a Kahr CW9 for under 350 and it has been Awesome. Any 3rd gen SW would be great and most can be had below 400. Check out Summit Gun Broker on line. I have bought several from him.

Guest Victor9er

Carry depends more on the holster than the gun. I've got a cross bread super tuck and can carry a full size 1911 all day and forget its there. Academy charges $10 for the background check.

+1 on the holster.

I have a crossbreed as well and I normally carry my Glock 19 in it, fits very comfortably. But I also have a Glock 22 (full size) that conceals just as easily in the same holster.

The Glock 19 is arguably the best all around gun that Glock makes. It's small enough to conceal, but still big enough to be an accurate pistol and maintain a comfortable grip for most people. With it's 15+1 capacity you won't feel out gunned, and for home protection you can always keep a G17 mag loaded and ready to use since it'll still fit in the G19.  

With all of that said, I'm really digging my new M&P also, so don't overlook them. Handle as many different guns as you can and see what feels best for you.

IMG_1399.jpg

Don't discount the used market. I picked up this model 39-2 a while back for $375. It was like new, and came with 4 magazines, box, tools, and all paperwork.

Dang buddy. You got a real good price on that. I like the 39 a lot. Feels almost as good as the Browning and CZ do to me. 

• Like 1
It seems like the Ruger SR9c is my best choice right now. I really like the Taurus PT92, but Academy didn't have one, and everyone else's prices are MUCH higher. Does anyone know who might have a SR9c in stock online or in the Knoxville area? I'd really like to hold as many as possible before I buy.
  • Like 2
So, I went to pretty much every gun shop within 40 miles today, and I was only able to find a SR9. Are there any downsides to it besides size? I think I should be able to conceal it, but other than that, any other issues with that model? I would rather have an SR9c, but I just can't find one right now. Especially in my price range.

So, I went to pretty much every gun shop within 40 miles today, and I was only able to find a SR9. Are there any downsides to it besides size? I think I should be able to conceal it, but other than that, any other issues with that model? I would rather have an SR9c, but I just can't find one right now. Especially in my price range.

No, I wondered why no one mentioned it. Just a little larger. I've got one and love it, also had the compact for awhile but let it go. Good luck in your search.

No, I wondered why no one mentioned it. Just a little larger. I've got one and love it, also had the compact for awhile but let it go. Good luck in your search.

Thanks for the advice. I read online that the trigger pull is heavier on the SR9. Any truth to that?