Army wife near Nashville shopping for my first gun

Guest jessirae

Guest jessirae

Hi, I'm Jessi. I'm from Pennsylvania originally, but have lived in Rochester, NY, outside Chicago, IL and Germany. We currently live in Pleasant View.

My husband is active duty military and has quite a few guns, but I'm new to the gun thing. I just got my Carry Permit last weekend (so should have my actual card in a few months) and am shopping for my first handgun. A few folks said that I needed to sign up here and meet some more gun owners, so that I can get advice and possibly find some people in the area that own the guns I'm interested in buying so that I can shoot before I invest.

Having said that, here's my current list:

• Kahr PM9 (or maybe the MK9?)
  • Sig P290 or P290RS
  • Sig 938 (not sure about SAO though)
  • Ruger LP9

I plan to carry ITW, and I'm very thin (think 5'7", 115 lbs). The only things I've ever fired are my husband's compact .40 DA/SA pistols (and my dad's .22 rifle), and I do pretty well with them. I'm also very comfortable with and accustomed to semi-automatics (vs. revolvers).

Look forward to meeting some of you!

Welcome to TGO Jessirae, fine group of folks on these forums, I am sure that you'll fit right in.

I am not near Pleasent View or I'd offer up some of our firearms for you to try out, but I am certain that there will be another TGO'er closer to you who can help you out.

The list of potentials looks good on this end, I am personally partial to Sig's but any/all of those would work just fine.
Guest celler
I'm not a Glock fanboy but have standardized on that platform in 9mm due to value/durability/ease of carry/availability of components/cost of ammo.

I used an M9 in the military and think DA/SA stinks--better to go with a consistent trigger pull (though it can e argued that using trigger reset on the Glock makes it effectively a DA/SA type of trigger feel.

I had a Kahr and wanted to like it. I really did. It was, however, finicky with ammo, more fidgety to field strip, cost more than the Glock, and had magazines that weren't as good as the Glock (IMO)

Definitely shoot as many handguns as you can prior to purchasing. Many are good and will get the job done--just need to determine what works for you. Keep weight in mind too--anything with a lot of steel is going to get heavy and annoying to carry--especially for a slim person.

Good luck. Edited by celler

Yes, welcome indeed, and congrats on getting your HCP. I've been trying to get my wife to get one and she keeps putting it off. :(

It is a good strategy to hook up with folks who will let you try their guns that you are interested in. Unfortunately, I have none of those.

I would add the Sig P232 to your list to look at as well. You obviously don't want a big bulky gun but you need to also consider those double action triggers and how you feel about them. The P232 has DA/SA trigger with a decocker and if you put Hogue grips on it (about $18) it's quite enjoyable to shoot. The downside is it is a small gun so you're limited to 7 rounds of .380 unless you carry a second magazine (which is what my wife does). Otherwise you do have a rather nice short list there.

If you haven't been, stop by Guns and Leather in Greenbrier (just outside/south of Springfield) and let them know your requirements and they will give you some suggestions. I like Robert there the best but I haven't been treated wrong by any of them. 

Welcome to TGO.   My suggestion would always be to go to your Local Gun Store and get a feel for the pistol that fits best in your hand, and also what 'points' most naturally for you.  I wouldn't like to be shot by anything, but I'd stick with a .380 caliber and above (ie. 9mm, 40 s&w, 45acp etc.)  A budget range will also help you narrow down your pistol choices.  (revolver, semi-autos)

Welcome to TGO Jeesi! I am slowly getting outnumbered by spouses that enjoy to shoot. Enjoy the site. I'll leave out the caliber debate. Best thing to do is find somewhere to handle and shoot a few like Lagerhead and sigrug mentioned.

Hi, I'm Jessi. I'm from Pennsylvania originally, but have lived in Rochester, NY, outside Chicago, IL and Germany. We currently live in Pleasant View.

My husband is active duty military and has quite a few guns, but I'm new to the gun thing. I just got my Carry Permit last weekend (so should have my actual card in a few months) and am shopping for my first handgun. A few folks said that I needed to sign up here and meet some more gun owners, so that I can get advice and possibly find some people in the area that own the guns I'm interested in buying so that I can shoot before I invest.

Having said that, here's my current list:

• Kahr PM9 (or maybe the MK9?)
  • Sig P290 or P290RS
  • Sig 938 (not sure about SAO though)
  • Ruger LP9

I plan to carry ITW, and I'm very thin (think 5'7", 115 lbs). The only things I've ever fired are my husband's compact .40 DA/SA pistols (and my dad's .22 rifle), and I do pretty well with them. I'm also very comfortable with and accustomed to semi-automatics (vs. revolvers).

Look forward to meeting some of you!

Welcome!  

SAO is like any other, a choice/tradeoff to consider.  I prefer them, but my hands are in bad shape and pulling a 15 pound 2 inch long trigger to shoot isnt in the cards for me anymore.

pros:

same trigger pull every shot

short trigger

usually lighter trigger pull

cons:

requires a safety

cocked and locked design creates irrational fears for some users

can fire too easily if finger is on trigger in a "situation"  (say you trip for example).

If you like the size and feel of the sig 938 but the action design bothers you, consider the M&P shield as an alternative.  It also has an excellent trigger in a small package.  Most of the other micros have difficult triggers.   my 938 is always here to try if you are in the area.

Edited by Jonnin

Find a range near you with rentals.  Try lots of them.  Try guns you don't think you'll like, they might surprise you.  Pick the one you shoot the best.  Range and rental fees are a small investment compared to the purchase price.

oh, and welcome!

• Like 1

Welcome.  As others have noted, try several, and pick what works for you.  Pleasant View is a good distance from me, and I have none of the pieces you listed.  Otherwise, I, like others, would offer you a chance to try them.  Give it a little time, 'cause I suspect that someone from your neck of the woods will have one or more of your preferences.  And, while you are at it, you mgiht give a few other makes/calibers a try as well.  Learned from by better half ... ... I can't pick and choose for her, and her choices sure aren't mine.  But she shoots better than I do, so I ain't arguing with her.  Good luck!

Guest 6.8 AR

Welcome, jessirae. My wife keeps on saying she is going to get her permit. She was a natural with a Sig p226,

after trying everything else I own. It was like she had been shooting it all her life. Try them all out, though.

Guest jessirae

Wow, I am just overwhelmed by all the "welcomes"! This really is a great community.

A little more info for you all:

For those familiar with the area, I went to Nashville Armory this weekend and checked out a bunch of guns. That started helping me narrow my list. I went to Guns & Leather last night. I plan to stop at ASP on my way home tonight.

I love my husband's .40mm DA/SA Sig P239, but there is no concealing it on me (it's actually rather comical when I try)... so I have a slight preference towards Sigs and towards DA/SA. Thanks LagerHead for the suggestion on the P232 (wish they made it in a 9, but I'll check it out anyway!).

Budget isn't too much of a concern, this is my Christmas present. Having said that, I'd like to keep it under $1000.

The other guns that I have heard good things about, but that I can't find anywhere to get a feel for them in my hand or "concealed" are the M&P Shield and the Walther PPS.

The Glock 26 is far too large. I looked at it at Guns & Leather last night.

The Berretta Nano is the only tiny pistol I have found to rent so far, and I did NOT like it. It's off the list.

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome!

First, thank you and your husband for your service to our country.  You seem to be on the right track as far as your approach is concerned. You might want to consider the following points.

How you carry affects what you can conceal and carry. Your primary options are IWB over the hip pocket, side of hip, or appendix. Pocket carry might work with baggy shorts in summer. The flashbang bra would work for a really lightweight gun in the summer.  You might be surprised at what carry methods work and don't work. It's very individual.  The right holster is incredibly important to comfort.

The thickness of a handgun is a big factor in comfort and concealment for us smaller people.  Some thin guns you could consider include the Taurus 709 Slim, Sig P238, Kahr PM9, and Glock 36.

There's no need to limit yourself to one carry weapon. I have four. In winter, I carry a Taurus 709 or Glock 26 OWB over the right hip. A light jacket or sweatshirt provides adequate concealment. In summer, I carry a Kahr PM9 or Kel Tec P3-AT (380 caliber) in a super thin pocket holster.  The super tiny guns (Kel Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP, etc) aren't fun to shoot, but they are easy to conceal and carry when it's really hard to carry a medium sized gun. I'd rather have a tiny .380 in my pocket than a 9mm in a drawer at home.

Finally, there's no need to find the "perfect" gun or keep it if you use it for a while an find out that it's just not for you. TGO has a classified section to buy/sell/trade firearms. Provided that you don't overpay when you buy a new gun, you can probably resell it for only a small financial loss and then buy another if you find that it doesn't suit your needs.

My wife and I are retired Air Force and live about 25 minutes from Fairview. We have a private range near our home. You and your husband are welcome to fire anything I own.

Edited by jgradyc

Welcome!  I actually have the same problem.  5'10", 125lbs.  I have been looking for something smaller than my .45 because unless I wear a really heavy jacket, it is just too big to conceal.  There is a website that has some awesome alternatives to IWB and has alot of good information for women. 

http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com

Check it out when you have a minute.  Have you looked at the m & p 9mm? 

Welcome to the forums. You really WILL find that this is the nicest friendliest online gun community on the web! Every single TGO member I have ever met have been some of the most outstanding, down-to-earth, genuinely friendly people I have ever met.

Good luck finding a carry pistol! You will find that a lot of people experiment with a lot of guns as a carry piece until they find "the one." It took me three tries until I found it (CZ-75 Compact). I actually ended up selling it and went through two more pistols over a half years time until I realized how much I liked it! Maybe you'll get lucky!

Edited by w0lfattack

Welcome to Tennesse and TGO, Jessi. And allow me to echo the "Thank You" as others have.

As Jonin opined, the Shield, if you can find one is a great option for carry. The PPS is a fine handgun, I've had 2, but stiff recoil for its size. My wife hated it.

I concur with your opinion on the Nano. Had one for a short while, but didn't like the trigger on it.

You are on the right track here. Ask. Look. Try out all you can. Then make the decision based on your likes and perceptions.

BTW, beautiful name.

Edited by hipower