Who likes front cocking serrations on 1911s?

Is it just me? That's why I want to see some views/opposing views on this subject.

I think companies cutting front cocking serrations on 1911s should be tarred and feathered. In my very humble opinion, front cuts totally destroy the aesthetics of an otherwise good looking, timeless design. It's like gun machinists gone wild...45s are just looking too 'busy' anymore. It's like lets see how many things we can 'cut' into this 1911, front slide, front grip stipples, grip safety bottle opener.... and what's the purpose of the front serrations? I thought we're taught to keep our cotton pickin' fingers away from the muzzle of a gun!

I won't buy a 1911 with front serrations. In fact, if I found a fantastic deal and it had front cuts, I'd fill them in with Bondo! :rofl:

Your turn.

• Like 1
I've seen quite a few customs without so I don't think you're in the minority necessarily. Screw a bottle opener how bout a compass & storage for survival matches lol

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
  • Moderators

I used to carry a 1911 as my EDC in a hybrid style holster. The FCS extended below the kydex and were exposed to the inside of my jeans. Every pair of jeans I had developed a hole right above the back pocket where the FCS were. I will never own another 1911 with them again.

.... and what's the purpose of the front serrations? 

Underhand or Overhand Press Checks using the support hand.

I hate front serrations because of the way some of them tear into my leather holsters.  My newer Colts with front serrations seem especially bad.  

Guest ancient_serpent

Doesn't bother me. My Kimber Warrior has them; I don't do press checks so I have no use for them, but I don't care if they're on there. 

Edited by ancient_serpent

John Moses Browning didn't deem them necessary, so that's good enough for me. Looks likt they'd be hard on the inside of a holster.

Aside from that, I wouldn't buy a 1911 with a rail on it. That's why they make different models I suppose.

Wow ... looks like I'm preaching to the choir. So Steelharp, what's the practical you see about the forward cuts? I mean if you want to check if loaded, how 'bout tug at the rear with the muzzle down and forward.

The "practical" (which I personally don't see; I think it's nonsense) is the aforementioned press check. Personally, I've never seen a more effective "loaded chamber indicator" on a 1911 than the hammer being back. What more do you need?

• Like 2
  • Administrator

The "practical" (which I personally don't see; I think it's nonsense) is the aforementioned press check. Personally, I've never seen a more effective "loaded chamber indicator" on a 1911 than the hammer being back. What more do you need?

They're not just useful for press checks though.  They come in very handy for one-handed manipulation during "injured shooter" drills.

All that tells you is that the hammer is back, not if there is anything in the chamber. 

Trust me, doing a malfunction drill after the first trigger press sends the hammer forward and there is nothing but a "click" is not something you wish to do.

Getting Back On Topic - - - -

While I think they look like Hell on a 1911, front serrations when well melted work.  Kimber seems to do that the best IMHO.

Edited by DMark

Seen any 1911's with the hammer down on a loaded chamber?

And, perhaps I wasn't clear; I didn't mean the press check was nonsense. I was referring to the serrations being nonsense. Sorry if that was a point of confusion.

Edited by Steelharp