10 AM Announcement Due

Thought I seen the words "Friends" and "Family members" thrown out there as being exempt. Of course we won't know till the final bill comes out. I would've liked to have seen people with permits being exempt.

No, there will be a ban on all private sales period. At least that's been my prediction, long before Sandy Hook. The "gun show loophole" is just a catchphrase. It means "private sales".

Looks like there may be an exception for gifting firearms to certain family members only.

- OS

Thought I seen the words "Friends" and "Family members" thrown out there as being exempt. Of course we won't know till the final bill comes out. I would've liked to have seen people with permits being exempt.

Whew! Good thing I'm friends with everyone!!!

I don't see it being more than $20 tops.  Maybe $10 state $10 Fed.

So riddle me this Batman.  How can you buy a gun online today with the current laws and avoid a background check legally?  What site allows you to buy guns like you would anything else online?

Armslist ?

Thought I seen the words "Friends" and "Family members" thrown out there as being exempt.

No way "friends" will be exempted. Even the idiots on the hill know that would gut the thing.

I would've liked to have seen people with permits being exempt.

That could actually be done, since the Feds allow certain states' permits to suffice for the 4473 background check now, though only a few states have availed themselves of it. TN is allowed to do that too, btw, but of course hasn't done it. And won't since it's making a buck on each transfer.

On the other hand, even those states where permits are accepted in lieu of the background check, it only applies to FFL sales, so you'd still not be doing an actual private sale without a record of it, meaning you'd still have to show up at an FFL to do a transfer. Also, the state database is queried to ensure that the carry permit is still valid too.

Of course, they may try to implement individual access to the 4473 process or something. Who knows. Whatever increases size and complexity of the bureaucracy and removes individual freedom will be the preferred course of action.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I was reading this story through a link from the gun wire and it took me to some liberal leaning site talking about the bill and they didn't seem happy with it at all, said it was not doing enough.  They were also stating that their Democrat senators may as well be Republican, kind of the opposite of how we see Corker and Alexander.  Funny to see the other side of it.

Of course they will have to vote on it to know what's in it, right? 

How would you in force banning private sales without a national gun registry?

I'd simply hire all them Obama Youth Army types as ATF temps to hang around forums and shows to buy guns. Minimum wage at 30 hours per week, no bennies, but a bonus for each bust.

Lowers unemployment rate (more prison guards and federal prosecutors needed, too), spurs economic development (more prisons needed).  And takes guns away, since the now felons can't own them or sell them.

Just all win from the progressive viewpoint.

- OD

• Like 1

One source is stating that background checks will be mandatory for all sales at gun shows and across the internet.  Good luck on defining 'gun show' and 'internet sale'!  Another worthless bill designed to get folks used to background checks for everyone without having any effect whatsoever on crime or mass killings.

Time to call Corker and Alexander and tell them that NO INFRINGEMENT is acceptable!

I have been calling/emailing them for months. We MUST continue to ring their phones off the hook. We should be specific, and let them know how we want to be represented.

They don't care. :shrug:

True... until they think it might cost them their jobs. Calling our elected reps is the best we can do... short of running and being elected. I'm sure not going to sit back and hope that the anti's are not making more phone calls than me.

I urge everyone to call if you are not already. Heck, call them twice each day. It's one of the easiest things you can do.

Alexander:

(202) 224-4944

http://www.alexander.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?p=Email#form_5a20ff52-c723-4c84-b2b6-8b7c009b9cf2

Corker:

202-224-3344

http://www.corker.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/contactme

Edited by Batman

I dont see that ending well. That could escalate very quickly.

How you gonna escalate anything once you've been busted. Hell, they can take most everything you own while you're even trying to fight it.

Oh, you mean, "armed insurrection?" Puleese....

What will happen is that after a pretty short while, the only personal sales will be between folks who know each other quite well indeed. And even then there would be some risk, seldom being 100% sure that your buddy hasn't been popped and is snitching his way free.

While 95% of all personal sales will simply  be done with addition of 4473, whether that's through an FFL or whatever other way they may set it up for access.

Might even create a small sub-industry, the free lance firearm transfer agent, licensed to do transfers but nothing else. Who knows at this point. And whatever gets passed during the 113th, it will get tweaked later, too, either by "rule" changes or amending, just like every other firearm law that has ever been enacted.

If you mean more undercover agents getting snuffed, that will play right into fed's hands too. More agents to investigate, easier push for more stringent gun laws once even a miniscule percentage of gun owners are then proven to be violently crazy.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Whatever happens will end up costing gun owners more money. 

I'm sure there are plenty of FFL's literally drooling right now thinking of mandatory background checks and transfers.  Remember what used to cost $25-$35 at a reasonable dealer...I bet that triples overnight.

Edited by Garufa

Whatever happens will end up costing gun owners more money. 

I'm sure there are plenty of FFL's literally drooling right now thinking of mandatory background checks and transfers.  Remember what used to cost $25-$35 at a reasonable dealer...I bet that triples overnight.

Yep. But see, that's good for the economy, eh? At least one small segment of it.

Oh, yeah, and for the Tennessee Bureau of Instigation.

- OS

The Feds can ban private gun sales, but it won’t hold up in a court challenge. Private gun sales are controlled by the states, most states won’t accept the Feds stepping in, even states that have strict gun laws.

They can control interstate transactions, and they can control shipping; even intrastate. The “internet” is a new spin. I guess they could try that as interstate commerce.

The Feds can ban private gun sales, but it won’t hold up in a court challenge. Private gun sales are controlled by the states, most states won’t accept the Feds stepping in, even states that have strict gun laws.

They can control interstate transactions, and they can control shipping; even intrastate. The “internet” is a new spin. I guess they could try that as interstate commerce.

The guns have moved in interstate transactions already.

That's how the Gun Free School Zones Act got passed after having been found unconstitutional by SCOTUS the first time, they simply added stipulation that the firearm "has moved in or otherwise affects interstate commerce", reenacted GFSZA, and it stood constitutional muster.

So your last leg to stand on are the various states who have passed their various "firearm freedom acts", which supposedly exempt firearms that are made in and stay in the state of their origin -- which of course has not had the first confrontation with the feds yet.

- OS

Guest 6.8 AR

One of the Drudge links had something about a "compromise" between the "sides". Joe Manchin and

Pat Toomey were mentioned. That so-called compromise was just to get it out of committee.

We'll see.

One of the Drudge links had something about a "compromise" between the "sides". Joe Manchin and

Pat Toomey were mentioned. That so-called compromise was just to get it out of committee.

We'll see.

They actually toned it way down. Schumer is a friggin' Nazi. Their amendment gets rid of all the Nazi crap, and actually just deals with gun shows and arms list/TGO classified type sales. Leaves sales between family and friends alone. The real commies like Gov Cummo hate it.

They actually toned it way down. Schumer is a friggin' Nazi. Their amendment gets rid of all the Nazi crap, and actually just deals with gun shows and arms list/TGO classified type sales. Leaves sales between family and friends alone. The real commies like Gov Cummo hate it.

I ain't believing "friends" till I see it. And I'd say "family" is gonna be pretty narrowly defined, too.

- OS