CNN Hacks Meadowview gun show.

Damn, you're good :). Fact is though, if we don't police ourselves, somebody else will. CNN drew that blood fair and square. They SHOULD have to answer to the ATF, though. I wonder if anybody has called it to their attention. They bought guns illegally and transported them across state lines.

The sellers should have asked for ID but I believe Mac is correct that they didn't break any laws. I agree it looks bad but CNN's actions were much worse.

• Like 1

The sellers should have asked for ID but I believe Mac is correct that they didn't break any laws...

Yeah, they didn't in TN -- dunno for sure about SC and GA, but don't know of any laws there that would figure into it any differently than here.

Unless ATF wanted to go after them for being "in the business without a license" thang, no federal laws I know of were broken either, since there is no requirement to actually verify the residency of the buyer. Which is all pretty stupid really -- if you're gonna prohibit certain folks from buying firearms, seems rather logical that you'd put a modicum of responsibility on sellers to at least check residency.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

I did not watch the video as I'm sure it would just piss me off, but if a seller did ask for ID and then refuse to sell, they would just go to the next guy and try to buy something. You know, like a criminal would do if guns were just outright illegal to have.  Maybe they should try to buy crack and show how easy it is to get, but hey, that is already illegal. Nothing to see there.

Let's not point this back at CNN... As responsible gun owners, we should be working and having discussions toward eliminating the sales of guns to mentally unstable and felonious individuals. They did their job and a good one at that. Booo hooo, CNN pointed out that any mentally unstable felon can get a weapon at a gun show. Stop complaining about what they pointed out and work on how we can work together to keep guns in the hands of law abiding and sane citizens. 

I actually agree with this except that there is simply nothing that can actually be done apart from a total gun ban or other overbearing and freedom sacrificing solution.   Just like there is NO WAY AT ALL to have prevented that idiot in texas from getting a sharp implement (without an insane ban on all items not made of cloth or something) to stab everyone in sight, there is NO WAY AT ALL to prevent criminals from stealing weapons.   Sanity is an aside --- some criminals may have a problem that causes their criminal behavior, and that has always been true (who in their right mind, for example, is going to hold ppl hostage to get the electricty turned back on like the guy in ga??  Duh, soon as you let em go they will turn it back off... and now you are going to jail to boot.... )  ?!   The reason for their misbehavior, in the case of the insane or severely mentally handicapped, is a sad situation but you can still, for the sake of talking about guns, just call all of them what they are: criminals.  

So, sure start the discussion.   How are you going to prevent a criminal from stealing a weapon from an honest person?  You can't, ppl been trying to stop theives from stealing since the bible was written, and to no effect.   How you gonna prevent criminals from buying a weapon, then?  You cant: even if NO honest person will sell them one, and all the criminals have a scarlet letter on they faces, the enterprising theif that stole a gun (which cannot be prevented) is still going to sell him one.   The scarlet letter is of course modern --- we can make a public database of all felons, but that violates privacy and whether we are willing to DO that is in question (personally I feel that violent felons have no rights at all).   Even so, that requires the seller to have a mobile computer with internet --- $100 a month here for those like me who do not have one ---  just to sell a $300 gun, that is impractical. 

Then we get into the nitty gritty stuff.   Say we make a law that nut jobs cannot own guns.  OK.  How you know someone is a nut?  About 7/10 of them "snap" one day --- "he was such a nice guy, loved his kids right up to the point that he blew away everone on the block".    Head shrinkery is not an exact science, not one of em has ever cured anyone to date, and the bulk of em are liberals.   So give an anti gun quack the right to "examine" people and decide if they are sane enough to own a weapon... yea that will go over real well.

So, tell me.   What solution is there?  Because I do not see anything that can actually be done that will have ANY effect at all on the top 5 causes of criminal violence. 

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

i am a director for a major healthcare provider. Trust me, there are about 20-30 questions that can be asked and quickly assess one's mental state. There are similar to the meyers briggs test, but focused on mental health. 

Simple social and psyche tests can be administered by anyone and the results are instant. Most people do snap, in the sense that they do not make others aware, but many times there is premeditation. Psyche evals would show early signs. 

Have you taken an CC course in TN? The guy next to me shot my target and still passed. With marksmanship requirements so laxed, it's no wonder some people don't know more about buying and selling arms. 

Secondly, lets lobby for felon databases and not let them into gunshows. Heck, you can view a list of all of the gun owners, why not a list of violent offenders. We can lobby and make it happen if we stand united. 

I do not agree with Obama's gun control. But, I do believe he's aiming high to land low. There's merit to his intent, just the execution is what we disagree with. 

Every member here would like to see more law abiding citizen's owning guns and the ability to sportingly participate or defend one's self, family or home protected. But, we must take steps to steer gun control legislation before the ultra liberal do. 

I too am interested in how CNN can show such total disregard for the law. CNN knowingly violated both Federal law and the laws of three states. CNN Security is now in possession of multiple weapons that they were told were illegally transferred.

As a Tennessee resident I would like to know if our state Attorney General gave them a free pass to violate our laws and then show those violations on TV. Why is the ATF not acting on the Federal violations? Did they give approval to do this?

And yes, the sellers also broke the law if they sold to out of state residents. You are required to know that.

• Like 2
Guest 6.8 AR

i am a director for a major healthcare provider. Trust me, there are about 20-30 questions that can be asked and quickly assess one's mental state. There are similar to the meyers briggs test, but focused on mental health. 

Simple social and psyche tests can be administered by anyone and the results are instant. Most people do snap, in the sense that they do not make others aware, but many times there is premeditation. Psyche evals would show early signs. 

Have you taken an CC course in TN? The guy next to me shot my target and still passed. With marksmanship requirements so laxed, it's no wonder some people don't know more about buying and selling arms. 

Secondly, lets lobby for felon databases and not let them into gunshows. Heck, you can view a list of all of the gun owners, why not a list of violent offenders. We can lobby and make it happen if we stand united. 

I do not agree with Obama's gun control. But, I do believe he's aiming high to land low. There's merit to his intent, just the execution is what we disagree with. 

Every member here would like to see more law abiding citizen's owning guns and the ability to sportingly participate or defend one's self, family or home protected. But, we must take steps to steer gun control legislation before the ultra liberal do. 

There is no merit to his intent. He is for total and complete gun control and is for total and complete control

over your life. Friend, Utopia is in a book. Communists love to sell Utopia to people to get control of them.

Psyche evals don't work on the majority of the population because of the people administering them, like Jonnin

said, because most of the people administering them are liberals. I wouldn't trust any of them, especially on this

issue. The best example which comes to mind of late is the VA saying, rather across the board, that veterans

having been diagnosed with PTSD, are ineligible to own firearms.

I'm not one of those who is happy with people trying to "rule" over me, and I certainly don't like to see veterans

treated like that, either. Obama is aiming high because that what he expects to get. Look at Obamacare. Well,

I guess you are for that?

You are in healthcare, and a gun owner, AND an Obama supporter?   How the heck does that happen?

I think I will pass on trusting you if you believe that the complexity of the human brain can be revealed by a handful of questions, and IIRC the question are the same 7 or 8 repeated to catch people being inconsistent in their answers so its really boiling down all of humanity to 10 or less questions!!   I also pass on psych evals --- I do not trust shrinks, I do not trust the government to administer the process properly, I do not trust any of it based off what is currently happening in NYC and other places.  

Let me make it really, really, really simple for you.   There are people who will fail these "exams" that are harmless, and their rights will be violated.   There are people who will pass these exams and go on to butcher one or more victims.   This is epic fail.  Catching a small % of a small % of violent folks in a way that hurts innocents is not the american way --- its on par with racial profiling, etc, or guilty until proven innocent, or other things that are not acceptable in our system.   On top of that, the BULK of violence is caused by evil people.   These are the drug dealers, pimps, and thugs that congregate in large cities but can be found anywhere, who are willing to do anything for personal gain.   We have tried (and failed) to stop these people for hundreds of years ----  gun control, registration, and aggravating rules to purchase will not have any more effect on stopping violence than the war on drugs.  All it will do is create a new illegal commodity to peddle (guns) which is already done to some extent but it would increase the black market share on these items.   You want to stop people from hurting each other?   Then make it illegal to hurt other people, if laws are the answer.  Oh wait...

• Like 3

The video uses all the right catch phrases to scare your average libtard, like "untraceable", "variation of the military rifle still in use today", "semi-automatic", and "arsenal". I'm sure it'll be very effective at emboldening support.

Aside from their motives and the fact that they clearly broke laws themselves, there's no excuse for the sellers not obeying the law. I don't like it, but I have no problem them exposing those sellers who didn't do the right thing. In all fairness, I could walk around with a camera and catch hundreds of people breaking dozens of laws every day.

One positive note...at least they showed the footage of them being refused here in TN by a law-abiding seller.

Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

The video uses all the right catch phrases to scare your average libtard, like "untraceable", "variation of the military rifle still in use today", "semi-automatic", and "arsenal". I'm sure it'll be very effective at emboldening support.

Aside from their motives and the fact that they clearly broke laws themselves, there's no excuse for the sellers not obeying the law. I don't like it, but I have no problem them exposing those sellers who didn't do the right thing. In all fairness, I could walk around with a camera and catch hundreds of people breaking dozens of laws every day.

One positive note...at least they showed the footage of them being refused here in TN by a law-abiding seller.

Like I said... they need their asses busted for breaking the law. We need to be screaming to the ATF

I too am interested in how CNN can show such total disregard for the law. CNN knowingly violated both Federal law and the laws of three states.

I can't speak for GA or SC law, but I don't see where there were any TN state laws violated, by sellers or buyers?

Pretty clear as far as federal law though, clearly violating at least one section of 18 USC § 922 - Unlawful acts:

(A)(3)

[it shall be illegal]

for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State ..[with exceptions for inheritance and FFL transfer of long gun]

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
Guest Pineapple Devil

Watching now...

Buying the m&p45. The guy that had the booth looked to be a vender due to the amount of guns on the table for sale, getting the gun off a cop the day before and turning around to sell it, etc. In which case he broke a federal law by the way he sold it. Illegal. No law would make a difference in that. He already broke the law. Are you going to make a law against breaking the law?

Glock 17's. Same thing. They've got a table full of guns for sale. Seems they should have an FFL if they're going to be trafficking that many guns.

AR: Private sale. The guy selling should have been a responsible owner and asked for ID

Contacting the BATF right now about CNN's blatant disregard for the law by buying guns out of state w/o transfer through an FFL in the state of residency.

Edited by Pineapple Devil

Contacting the BATF right now about CNN's blatant disregard for the law by buying guns out of state w/o transfer through an FFL in the state of residency.

Minor note: it is legal under federal law to personally buy or sell long gun in any state if transferred through FFL. Only handguns must be received in state of buyer's residency. Not that it matters in this case, just clarifying.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

I can't speak for GA or SC law, but I don't see where there were any TN state laws violated, by sellers or buyers?

Pretty clear as far as federal law though, clearly violating at least one section of 18 USC § 922 - Unlawful acts:

(A)(3)

[it shall be illegal]

for any person, other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to transport into or receive in the State where he resides (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, the State where it maintains a place of business) any firearm purchased or otherwise obtained by such person outside that State ..[with exceptions for inheritance and FFL transfer of long gun]

- OS

That's the one :)

I agree, but when was the last time you heard a word about Project Gunrunner?

Theses guys are as bad as the people they claim to be protecting the country from.

I'd expect them to do nothing to the media for their part in breaking the law.

Were any of Bloomberg's spies charged a couple of years ago when they came to TN doing the same thing?

No.

I don’t think they bought anything did they? I thought they just implied that they were felons and wanted to see if people would still talk to them so they could make a big deal out it. I don’t remember them actually making any transfers. But I could be wrong.

These guys came to our state with the intention of violating laws we have to obey or we get arrested. They violated those laws and went back to Atlanta. I want to know who in our state justice department put their stamp of approval on this.