No Charges for this Guy. WOW!

Seems a little strange. Not denying the robber had something coming to him. But in the back? Was the shooing storeperson in fear of his life at the time? Was there a danger to someone else from the robber?

Sure there are circumstances we don't know about yet, but on the face of it; seems unusual.

I've thought about my defense if this ever happened to me. I would honestly fear for the lives of others if I let him go. Not sure if that's legally enough but there's my gray area defense. It seems to work in this state and as a handgun carrying citizen I am comfortable know that if I have to use it then the local government will likely back me up. Edited by Romad7
The guy got what he deserved. But with deep pockets like Dollar General being involved; I see a civil suit coming. I guess we may find out if a DA’s decision not to prosecute satisfies the law that blocks a civil suit if the shooting is justified.

The guy got what he deserved. But with deep pockets like Dollar General being involved; I see a civil suit coming. I guess we may find out if a DA’s decision not to prosecute satisfies the law that blocks a civil suit if the shooting is justified.

That was lurking around in my mind as well, Dave. It's a rotten, bloody shame that a criminal or his family can sue for anything when a crime is commited. Once again, the lawful is penalized for the actions of the unlawful.

What a stupid world.

Guys, remember that most of the time the "news" doesn't really tell you the whole story. There were other reports that said when the manager went out after the robber that the robber pointed a gun at him and that's why he shot (at least that's his story.) Of course the KNS would leave that out because it doesn't help their "guns are evil" motto. It's also quite easy to be shot in the back (I wonder how accurate that is and what's considered "the back") while pointing a gun at someone. Obviously, there wasn't enough evidence that the DA felt like he had a case. It will also show how good our self defense = no civil suite law is.

• Like 1

You say that, but show an example of them charging a permit holder for an incident like this.  DA's here in TN want to keep their jobs, you go after a guy like this, you'll have somebody challenging you in the next election for going after good folks trying to protect themselves, and trying to protect gang banger criminals.

That is even if the DA could have found a grand jury to give a true bill in this case.

On the one hand the robber won the prize to which he deserved, but on the other hand I am surprised that they aren't charging the manager...not that I'm upset about it either  :shrug:

• Like 1

The actions of the store manager goes against pretty much everything I've ever been taught about when it is and when it isn't appropriate to use deadly force in self defense.  I too have no love lost on the thug but being able to shoot someone in the back and the threat over is something that I don't think should be tolerated. Armed citizens are supposed to be sheep dogs...it's not our job to deliver justice.

This DA not filing charges just sounds fishy to me...I can't help but wonder what we aren't being told.

I think it was very wise for the manager to not get into a shootout in the store with customers around. i once heard a DA say he would never charge someone who used a firearm to prevent or stop a crime. I'm not sure this would qualify, but I am very glad we still have some common sense DA's around.

I believe the manager was fired afterwards. The same store was recently robbed again and a different name was bandied about as the store manager.

And as for perusing the gunman, maybe he pointed back toward the manager with a gun as he was fleeing.

Humm...I guess some people are fine with shooting a fleeing man in the back...but I'm not one of them

If there are facts not provided such as the thug turning around, pointing his gun at some innocent bystander then fine; otherwise this former store manager is just a murderer and committed a much more serous crime that robbery.

Edited by RobertNashville
I guess I will go along with what the DA decided when his office did not prefer charges based on the police investigation.

And while just up and shooting someone in the back is generally not a good thing, the criminal got what was coming to him. I have NO doubt his death single handedly stopped his one man lifetime crime spree.
  • Like 1

I guess I will go along with what the DA decided when his office did not prefer charges based on the police investigation.

And while just up and shooting someone in the back is generally not a good thing, the criminal got what was coming to him. I have NO doubt his death single handedly stopped his one man lifetime crime spree.

Since the DA is not obliged to give his reasons we'll never know but I'd bet real money that some of our attorney friends on the forum could recite cases where people who clearly defended themselves from a real threat and didn't shoot the fleeing thug in the back, were charged with murder and found guilty.

I've no love lost for the thug but shooting a man in the back after he is no longer a threat is a cowardly act and murder, even if no charges are filed. As I said earlier, we are supposed to stop the threat; not dispense our own brand of justice.

• Like 1
Why file charges when you know a jury is going to find him not guilty when the defense raises reasonable doubt? Was he in fear for his life? Likely. There is no victim in this case and no hope of conviction. Who in their right effing mind would press charges?
  • Like 3

Whether he was in fear for his life or not is irrelevant.  What is relevant is whether the fear is reasonable and I see nothing reasonable in being afraid of a thug who is in the process of running away.

If no jury would convict this guy for shooting another man in the back then shame on them.

The robber got what he had coming to him. While as carry permit holders we are not supposed to pursue a threat the DA is free to bring up charges as they see fit. If any of you think that this man should have charges brought against him I'd suggest you study up on the law, pass the bar exam and get hired on at the DA's office where you can make a different decision. <br />Until then, a man who had multiple other robberies (allegedly) on his rap sheet has been removed from the streets. Bad thing? I think not.<br /><br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Seriously? I see you all complain on here how the media is inaccurate and outright misleading and now you are taking a KNS (who have proven again and again they have an agenda) story at face value.

How about reading a story with more detail from the time that had the DA office saying the evidence was showing there probably wouldn't be any charges: http://www.wate.com/story/21429981/robbery-suspect-shot-and-killed-by-dollar-general-store-manager-family-speaks-out

We don't know the full story (mainly because in many cases it doesn't fit the media's progressive narrative), but it's fairly safe to assume that the guy did shoot in self defense and that's why he's not charged.

• Like 1