Video of my gun messing up at the range.

Jesse

This was the first trip to the range with my new ruger p95.  The gun hadnt been cleaned real good but was wiped down pretty decent and was not oiled.

The ammo was walmart federal 115grain.  this is just a short clip but this was how the gun did most of the time at the range. notice the first 3 shots ejected the casings pretty well, but look at the last shot and it barely ejects past my hand. after that the gun just fails to fire, the hammer went down but i believe it jammed up inside pretty good.

what could be my problem here? bad ammo or what?

hope the link works :)

http://youtu.be/JpcPXdbJIvk

Have you checked the spring in the mag?  Sometimes if someone stores a gun with rounds in the mag it weakens the spring and you get exactly that.

The ammo is the problem. I have seen several people have problems with the P95 and cheap ammo. Might try cleaning it really well then some quality grease.

To clean hose it down with WD40 the wipe it down and use air to blow it out from the internals. Add oil to the internals and grease to the frame rail and locking lugs.

• Like 1
The gun came with 2 mags, both mags did the same thing. The gun was

Brand new not used.

I did try different ammo that day they were hollow point higher grain +p or something of that nature. They shot fine but i only shot 10 of them, wheres i shot 100 of the federals.

Federals prob had 10 problems out of 100 like in the video.

Well, all I can say is every new gun I purchase is stripped, cleaned oiled and greased before I take it to the range.  Maybe unnecessarily, but that's just something I've always done and it removes all doubt. I usually do the used ones I get too.  You would be surprised what you find in some firearms sometimes, even though they look great on the outside.  I have a P95 that will eat the Walmart Federals all day long.  That's what I took for my HCP.  P95 and Walmart Federals.

A brand new gun is not clean! It is loaded with stuff to keep it from rusting, Field-strip it. clean it, put the 7 drops of oil that Ruger says it needs (I used grease on the rails, not oil). I put 100's of the same rounds through mine! I will say this, do not dry-fire it without an (EMPTY) magazine in place or the hammer pivot pin can move (its the one with the tombstone shaped head - if it moves out just push it back in).

I bought my P95 used and the tombstone shaped head was missing from mine. Ruger fixed it for free, no charge. If you cant figure out the problem give them a call! They will fix it for you!

Guest Torrin

Ruger likes to put 16.5 gallons of heavy oil in on their new handguns,  Clean it very well and apply good oil.  My SR9c eats all sorts of crappy ammo since I cleaned it well.

Im really impressed no one has suggested. Sell it and buy a glock...

Clean lube and shoot some more. It will wear in.

Sell it and guy a GLock 17 ,,,,,, :cool: ,,,,,,,,,,,,, :rofl:

Just messing and had to say it . I would seriously clean it good and used compressed air also. Then lube it and try again. If yout still get a failure call Ruger. Their customer service rocks !

Edited by tercel89

I had a P95 and it was very finicky about which ammo it liked or didn't. Hated Remington UMC, American Eagle was fine, Winchester White Box was fair. I did clean and lube the gun meticulously when I got it, put several hundred rounds through it, decided I wanted a CZ after shooting one at the range one day and replaced the P95 with a CZ75 Compact. It eats everything I put on its plate.

• Like 1

Its hard to see, so I can't tell for sure - - - but also check your grip.

Appears that your support hand thumb might be making contact with the slide.  You would be surprised at how little just a small amount of side pressure from a thumb will slow down the slide speed.  That can result in weak ejection and a failure of the slide from going into battery. 

One way to check this is you have someone else fire the handgun. 

If it has the same problems with a different shooter, then its the ammo or the firearm.  If another shooter has no problems, then maybe an adjustment of your technique might be worth a try. 

My P94 won't run at all unless it is well oiled.  If the rails are dry I get ftf, fte.

Forget about the oil. Use a good quality grease like TW25 or even some cheap molybendum disulfide grease from Walmart. I can buy a tube of the moly grease for under $5 and I will probably have to will it to relatives when I die.

Guest Lester Weevils

And some even suggest manually racking the gun a few thousand times to help the cycling of a new gun. This probably works because it slightly weakens a brand new spring.

When I got a Taurus 9mm PT1911, it was mostly ejecting properly but didn't want to reliably lock back on last round fired. People were blaming that on cheap Taurus 9mm 1911 mags, which might be a reasonable place to blame some things. However, after having the lockback troubles over several weekend range visits, I stored the 1911 locked back in the safe for a week, and then the next week the lock back problem was gone and hasn't returned.

So unless the gun finally got "broke in" right at the end of that last session before the week it was stored locked-back, apparently storing the gun locked-back for a week loosened up the recoil spring "just enough" to make a discernible difference in the gun's operation.

Edited by Lester Weevils

I'd start with different ammo.

The real problem might be the recoil spring.

Hotter loads make recoil longer. This gives the mag more time to feed a new round.

The fewer the rounds are in the mag, the weaker the spring pressure is feeding a new round.

This does NOT mean it is a bad mag. It just means you need to break in the recoil spring.

Weak rounds (target loads) can cause the slide to cycle FASTER. And in extreme cases even short stoke.

Slower/weaker loads could allow the slide to cycle faster which can cause the slide to skip over the next round in themag before the round is in place to feed.

I serioisly doubt 100 rounds is going to get it dirty enought to cause an issue. I'm will to bet it is NOT a dirty gun.

I'm fairly confident it is an ammo and/or break in issue.

I had a CZ in .40 recently not like weaker 165gr target loads. Switching to 180gr loads fixed the problem.

It did how ever feed 165gr JHP Hydrashock FINE.  All my problems were ammo related.

The truth is it might have been the pistol andthe way it was setup to function. But ammo was easy fix for me.

I would start with trying different ammo. The hotter the better.

Edited by TnShooter83