One for the wood workers...

This is really cool.  Can't believe he used that big piece of purple heart in the frame, but otherwise.... just really cool.

http://www.garagejournal.com/2013/04/the-foot-powered-lathe/

Dad's a wood turner and has a couple lathes (and a bunch of other stuff), but not one like this.  I think he's still got some old hand crank drills that I recall using when I was a kid. We've also got a foot powered sewing machine, but I don't think it works. 

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks, that is slicker than snot. Didn't see a single nail or wood screw in the entire thing.

Patience?  He finished from scratch in about 6 minutes !!! MAD fast !!!

J/K

I have a lot of those hand tools -- brace and bits, draw knife, etc.  Remember using them years ago with my dad and granddad.  Have them stored, and have absolutely NO desire to "retire" my power tools and go back to them.  Boring a hole with a brace and bit in a locust fence post or a 6 x 6 at the barn in order to hang a gate or door would literally take half a day and produce sweat and sore muscles. 

While I also admire anyone with his talent (which I obviously do NOT have), and enjoy watching said talent, I personally want no part of going back to the days of "muscle" powered equipment.  I remember thinking that the guy who invented electric milkers ought to have won some kind of Nobel prize.  Same with a tractor vs. a mule.

Don't mind watching work though!

Yes, this is why we have technology, for the safety of those around me:-)  I get pissed when I have to get out the brace and bit or handsaw for any reason, this guy is awesome.  

My video would end quickly with my tools embedded in a nearby wall and me getting drunk!  I am so glad that we still have true Craftsmen out there who can amaze us with their work in this fast paced age of technology.

I guess I'm an odd duck. I still like to use old tools on a daily basis. Blacksmithing, but also axe and a cross cut or bucking saw for cutting trees, broad axe andfoot aze for hewing logs, shingle froe for splitting shingles and shakes, and of course harnessing the horse for some plowing or logging. Extremly impressive video, would love to spend time with that guy.

Sent from the backwoods of Nowhere

• Like 1

I guess I'm an odd duck. I still like to use old tools on a daily basis. Blacksmithing, but also axe and a cross cut or bucking saw for cutting trees, broad axe andfoot aze for hewing logs, shingle froe for splitting shingles and shakes, and of course harnessing the horse for some plowing or logging. Extremly impressive video, would love to spend time with that guy.

You are in that group of Craftsmen that I mentioned. Love your work!

Keep that spirit alive, it's what made this country great!

This is how I envision you Spots

woodrightsshop.jpg

• Like 2

That was cool.  I love woodworking, but just don't have the patience for a lot of old manual handtool work.  I will stick with my power tools, although I do envy the no  (or very little) saw dust benefit of going old school.

That was great.  I spent several years working in a small shop building custom cabinets and furniture which was difficult work even with all the great modern tools, and that build would be impressive even with the modern tools I used. 

I suspect many of you have heard about this, but if you want to feel like less of a man, here is the ultimate video, "Alone in the Wilderness".  This is just a short excerpt, but if you have the time, I highly recommend watching this series.  If you haven't seen this, you owe it to yourself to watch it.  Keep in mind Dick started this when he was 51.  I just turned 38 and couldn't have done this.

http://youtu.be/iYJKd0rkKss

Edited by Hozzie

I have my DVR set to record "The Woodwrights Shop" every weekend.

He does offer a school on making a lathe, takes a week and no power tools are used.

That film of Dick is great!!!