Midway Issue

Guest nra37922

Guest nra37922

Issue I have with Midway is that not only do they limit the amount of ammo one can buy they still stick on their full-up shipping fee.   Example, I was given the opportunity to buy two (2) boxes of Fiocchi 38 Specials for $18 a box for a total of $36.  However when their shipping fee the total is over $52 or $26 a box.  I am sure someone is desperate enough to buy but not I....

shipping is not cheap, ammo requires signature delivery that adds to cost  (i am not denying they get a good volume discount rate) and they do incur a cost of packaging labor & materials.  if you haven't ordered much from them in the past, before the panic you could get a coupon that would cover the shipping.

i ordered with the limit and 15.46 shipping, but added 100 rounds of 9mm, 250 rounds of 40 s&w, misc small items and only increased the minimum rate by 40 cents.  by the time i was done shipping was cheaper than state tax.  i'm sure i will get slammed for that comment,  but if you're not paying attention our state is NOT spending wisely so why should i care.  besides you would be a fool to think non-taxable sales are not figured into the current sales tax rate anyway.  without getting sidetracked too much,  Non-ammo orders have better ship costs via priority mail and ups/usps option than most any other retailer. i'll stick with them, good company with fair business practices.  plenty of worse options to choose from and cheaper then fuel costs driving from LGS to Box Store looking.    also i'm not reselling or hoarding, just don't have time to reload right now.  if you're not finding other calibers in stock, clear your browser and try again.

Since they can't use USPS, they are stuck with UPS or FedEx ground, which has a certain minimum cost for ammo shipments. That's why I only buy ammo online when I can buy in bulk to spread the shipping costs. I don't think any other online vendor's shipping prices for ammo are much different and most vendors have limits on ammo, so the best thing to do is not buy any ammo online until the craziness subsides...or accept that your going to get hosed on shipping. 

I have never signed for ammo and I've had a bunch shipped.

it depends on company policy.  sgammo or ammunitiontogo was dropped on my doorstep in the past.  AIM is dropped, but i have driver license on file with them.  midway has never been my preference for ammo, but they have had it in stock with reasonable prices lately if i combine an order so i purchased.  two recent shipments  sent signature delivery, but that may be due to my current address which is not conducive to driver drop.

Midway just isn't the most competitive with shipping costs. Also they've never been a fav of mine for ammo.

I suppose if they even have any to sell one should be happy if one is in a position to need to purchase online.

Shipping costs really suck everywhere I've shopped in the last few years. Midway has such good customer service, I'll ignore some extra shipping costs.

Seriously, I doubt ANY corporation (gun-related or not) could match their level of customer service. Brownell's is close, but still second.

No, I'm not an employee of Midway. Just a very satisfied customer.
  • Like 1

Not like we could buy from them anyway.

Unless you have someone in MS. or AK. to receive for you.

Ah I forget.  I'm back in Arkansas.  You aren't missing much believe me.  Their shipping charges have turned me away numerous times. 

Midway had White Box 9mm, 100 rnd listed the other day at just about what I pay WM for one.  Jumped to their website and.........ONE BOX LIMIT!!  Cost to ship.....$18.95!!!  I may have been born yesterday, but it wasn't at night.......... :down:

Shipping is a bit high but like stated above, combine it by purchasing other items. I also believe Midway insures the shipment which is added cost. Last week I was able to get 1000 rds of 22 from midway and also added a couple of 20 rd mags to the order. Another thing that makes it easier for me to pay the shipping is factoring in what you would pay in tax if bought local then add gas money driving to and from to get your items. I received a brick from cabelas yesterday and shipping on it was 5 and change. My wife's order from Cabelas was 9 and some change for 1500 rds of 22lr. I have never signed for delivery.
Guest nra37922

Midway had White Box 9mm, 100 rnd listed the other day at just about what I pay WM for one.  Jumped to their website and.........ONE BOX LIMIT!!  Cost to ship.....$18.95!!!  I may have been born yesterday, but it wasn't at night.......... :down:

That is my point. 

The pisser about $18.95 shipping is that it only costs Appx $10 to ship 3 lbs via ups. Plus they tack on a small order fee... I have canceled a few orders with them bc shipping was more than the item.

I've bought from Midway before, but I wouldn't pay $18.95 shipping on a box of ammo any more then I would pay $75.00 for a brick of .22's. Putting a 1 box limit on their ammo orders and charging that much for shipping is no better then buying ammo at Walmart and selling it for 3x what you paid for it.

I joined Cabelas Club an got their Visa Card and you only pay $5.00 for shipping when you use the card.

Edited by crossfire
Guest Spurhunter

Ugh, I had to do a charge back on Natchez. Those are some shady ass folks.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Very interesting as they don't sell to TN residents. How did you get an order placed at all?

Ugh, I had to do a charge back on Natchez. Those are some shady ass folks.

Very interesting as they don't sell to TN residents. How did you get an order placed at all?

I'm currently out of state for a little while.

I order from Midway several times a year, but never ammo. Before this ammo craziness hit, I hardly ever found ammo online cheap enough with shipping to beat Walmart, Academy, etc. prices. When I did buy ammo online, I always bought enough to justify the shipping cost. Sometimes that meant buying 4 or 5 times as much as I "needed" to keep the cost/round down.

Lately, it's insane. I can buy 100 rounds (their typical limit) of .223 from Cabela's cheaper with shipping than I can buy 100 rounds locally. That wouldn't be true if I were only buying 20, though (but, who-the-hell only buys 20 rds of .223?).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest nra37922

Midway sent me an alert that they have .40 Cal Critical Defense Ammo in - box of 20 for $19.99.  So I go to order and get the message can only order two boxes and shipping is still close to $19.   So there are two more boxes of this ammo back in their stockroom.  Buy 2 for the price of 3 I can pass on.