Why do some hate reloads?

Guest nra37922

I will never shoot someone else's reloads.  If I blow my gun up with one of mine shame on me if I do the same with someone else's reload than I got what I deserved....

I believe much of the "hatred" or animosity towards reloading is based upon distrust and/or misinformation.  While we were looking for a handgun to purchase, one employee of a certain LGS adamantly and loudly told my wife and I that he "has never fired a reload in any of his guns and never will."  The first reason he gave was based upon truth.  "The firearms manufacturers will void the warranty of any gun that has been fired with reloads."  Of course.  The lawyers insist upon that.  Yet the second facet of his disdain was totally without merit.  "If you shoot a bad guy, even in self defense, with reloaded ammunition,"  he warned us, "you are going to jail."  I'm not a lawyer, nor did I spend last night at a Holiday Inn Express, but I do know that reloading in itself is not against the law.  Besides, anybody I hit with one of my anemic reloads should thank me that I didn't use one of the high-dollar boutique rounds that the manufacturer guarantees will kill and field dress him at the same time.

If I blow one of my guns up because I had a brain hiccup when assembling my ammo, I'll just swallow my pride and buy another gun.  I am much better able to afford it because I've saved a ton by carefully rolling my own firecrackers.

By "hot" I meant going over the max powder charge that the book shows.

Yes, that's what I mean.

Depends on the book and bullet mfg. Sierra for some reason does not recommend anything over 41.7g of Varget for use w/ a 175g SMK in a .308. However, most people load somewhere between 43-45g of Varget for 1,000 yard shooting. Yet other mfg's/manuals recommend a little more. I'm sure it's for liability reasons.

All that being said, I have found 43.5 of Varget with a 175g SMK is pretty much the same as a factory Black Hills 175g box load. That would be considered a "hot" load by Sierra's book but is pretty consistent with factory box ammo.

nothing wrong with reloads.  i been reloading since 1973.  never had any problems.  now i do not shoot others reloads and i will not reload for anyone.  back in 1981 a old friend ran low on ammo during a hunter  pistol match in west texas.  i gave him a box of 9mm-357 mag  special match loads that we used in the t/c 357 mag pistol.  he shot a 40 out of 40 with my reloads. i shot a 34 that day.  some day i will do a write up on the 9mm-357 mag special load that we use for hunter pistol.  

I've only shot one person's handloads besides my own. A friend was working up a powder puff .38 spl load for his GP100. We had talked about his recipe, so I know he was at half or less than than the max. Plus, a Ruger GP100 would not likely blow up in my hand even if double charged a case.

I have let others shoot my 9mm handloads, though. I know that's taboo too, but I also know how careful I am when reloading.

I have a doctor friend who doesn't have a lot of time to reload, but likes the idea of saving money and learning to do new things.  I let him use my reloading equipment and provide him with a cleaned, primed casing (which is about half the work of reloading).  He does his own powder measuring and bullet seating and reimburses me for the cost of the material plus a small prep fee.  In this way he does the actual ammo manufacturing and I escape the liability.   I did catch him accidentally double charging one case, so this method also saved him more than just money.

Just a precaution about light loads.  They can be more dangerous than overcharging.  It depends on the powder.  Some powders can be susceptible to "detonation" rather than ignition if the primer lights the whole charge at once.  

It's rare, but it supposedly has happened.  

So, just as I wouldn't go over the maximum published charge, I will not go under the minimum charge either.

The American Rifleman had a story 20+ years ago that pretty much debunked the "detonation" theory. H.P. White Labs could never get powder to detonate. The conclusion was that explosions were caused by double loads, enhanced by too deeply seated bullets.

I once heard a LGS owner talking to 3 other people and he said "i would NEVER EVER EVER shoot a reload through ANY of my guns" I simply asked 'why not' and the room got quiet for a moment and then the reply came "well i just wouldn't" One of the guys was talking about buying a reloading press and finding someone that would take the time to teach him and had i not have been there he would have likely been turned off of reloading. I enjoying loading cases about as much as i do emptying them and would have hated to see the guy turned off by one ignorant mans statement. That being said, there are only 1-2 people that i know and trust enough to shoot their handloads but still prefer my own. Just have to use your head.... and the correct data (more important than your head).

I got one reloading buddy that I trust, and ill shoot his reloads.  When we do it is typically a matter of convenience.  When we do range trips together he'll load up a bunch of one caliber and ill load up a bunch of another.  It's more to save time from switching out dies and everything.  The only gun I have right now I wont shoot any reloads out of is the PS90.  I just haven't built my personal confidence level up enough yet for that round. 

i have about 60 38 reloads unknown origin. i shot a few in my 357 figured that would be safe enough BUT one of them was as loud or louder than regular 357 so i understand the caution. i marked the box 357 only just in case

i have about 60 38 reloads [b]unknown origin[/b]. i shot a few in my 357 figured that would be safe enough BUT one of them was as loud or louder than regular 357 so i understand the caution. i marked the box 357 only just in case

Whew...those I would pull and use the bullets and brass for my own handloads. Ya gotta be cautious... :2cents:

Guest Plus1Hdcp

i have about 60 38 reloads unknown origin. i shot a few in my 357 figured that would be safe enough BUT one of them was as loud or louder than regular 357 so i understand the caution. i marked the box 357 only just in case

On target response Prag

A great reason to have a bullet puller, save the components minus the powder since you don't know the type, and handload the saved bullets.  The price of powder, especially with the 357 is insignificant, and not worth the price.  I have bought older reload grab bags from gunshows in the past for less per round than I could acquire the bullets themselves and spent the afternoon at my bench disassembling then reassembling.

Edited by Plus1Hdcp

Years ago I bought a 'bulk box' of Ammo at a Gun Show (didn't know any better).

It was Forest Gump Ammo....'like a Box of Chocolates....you never know what you are going to get".

A mag would sound like Pop Pop Crack BOOM BOOM Pft....

Luckily I didn't die.

And now I know better.

And NOW I reload my OWN Ammo

ok guys my question is can a 38 case be loaded heavy enough to hurt a 357? not in to reloading at all thought it couldnt be loaded that heavy if so i will toss them.

Absolutely. Depending on the powder and bullet you could probably fit two 357 powder charges in a 38 special case. Then with the smaller case and the resulting smaller capacity the pressures would be even higher.

ok guys my question is can a 38 case be loaded heavy enough to hurt a 357? not in to reloading at all thought it couldnt be loaded that heavy if so i will toss them.

Yes, they can. Find someone who reloads to pull them and do them right.

Absolutely. Depending on the powder and bullet you could probably fit two 357 powder charges in a 38 special case. Then with the smaller case and the resulting smaller capacity the pressures would be even higher.

Exactly!

I hate reloads too.
Typically reloads(be it commercial or private) are done in haste.

I do however shoot 'handloads' exclusively. The difference? Handloads are carefully crafted works of art.

Well said, the only handloaded rounds "reloaded" into a used case that I shoot come from a personal friend.

My first experience with reloads was in the late 80's, range ammo. Lead .38 and I think they used black powder.

Here's my question: while not all handloaded ammo is equal, why does it seem that some hand and most re-loads are smokier than factory?

Got:  RE:

....Here's my question: while not all handloaded ammo is equal, why does it seem that some hand and most re-loads are smokier than factory?....

If it's lead bullets; the "smoke" thing is most likely bullet lube.  If they are jacketed rounds; most likely its a light crimp and Alliant powder (...unique, bullseye, 2400...).  All reloads (...especially pistol rounds...) need a good, heavy crimp.

It helps ignition and improves accuracy.

Hope this helps.

leroy