New Pistol Purchase Advice

KOM2

Looking for a new pistol. Primarily home defense with occasional carry. Open to 9/40/45. Thinking xdm compact. Glock 30 gen 4. Any suggestions? I like the XDs but just can't get past 5+1. I do want something with a rail.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I have an XD subcompact in 9mm. Great gun but honestly I rarely carry it because it is kinda thick. Of course a Glock isn't going to be any better. But if it's not too thick for you, you can't go wrong with either gun. When I do carry it I usually carry in waist band so it's concealed. So I guess it's not as bad as I make it sound. :D

as Raoul advised Glock 19 for the following reasons: 1) reliability second to none 2) available accessories second to none 3) customer service second to none 4) resell second to none 5) ease of maintenance second to none.

• Like 1
For mostly HD use with occasional carry a J-frame is hard to beat IMHO.

Don't get me wrong, I've owned Glocks, Sig's, Beretta's, 1911's, M&P's, & XD's I love them all, but there would be no hesitation I'd take a J-frame over any one of them if I could only own a single handgun.
  • Like 1
I really like my Walther PPS 9mm for IWB carry. It's thin and I didn't have to buy new pants to accommodate it. It would be my EDC if I didn't need to carry a more concealable 380 pocket pistol for work. 6,7, and 8 round mag capacity +1. I usually use the 7rd mag and the 6rd as back up.

As for bedside I really like my full size M&P 40. The best part is you can buy the $65 OE 9mm barrel and OE mags and now you have a great range toy too. The 40 mags also are used for the 357sig so for about $75 I got the 357sig barrel. I'll probably never use it, but for next to nothing I have 3 possible caliber choices if I need it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Most modern handguns made by the major mfg will suit your needs, but you gotta do some leg work. Go out and handle a bunch and narrow your choice down to less than half a dozen and then ask about pros and cons. That way we don't just recommend OUR favorites, that might not be right for you. 

Look for ones that feel comfy in your hand, have the capacity you want, the features you want, and are in your price range. Be certain to try some SAO, DAO, SA/DA, and striker fired guns. You'd be surprised how much that difference that one option makes. Then, you'll have a short list that folks can point out things about that you might not have considered.

Edited by BigK
I am a 1911 guy and the one I would advise you to buy is very expensive, besides that I would recommend picking up a Sig P220 I love the .45 ACP and with the SRT trigger it is a remarkable rail gun and great for carrying as well as for home defense

I have quite a few handguns, and have been messing with them for over 30 years. Any quality handgun will work. I have always tried to stick with what law enforcement would carry. I'll get a wild hair and carry a J Frame, or LCP sometimes, but usually grab one of the Glocks. They're light, they always work, and it's real hard to hurt them. M&P's are the same deal.

It's hard to go wrong. The odds of finding your all time favorite are pretty slim until you have been through a bunch. That should be obvious when you read any of the TGO "which pistol" threads. A lot of the folks on here have been down the road with handguns. In the end, their preferences are all over the place.

When it comes down to it, I'm perfectly comfortable carrying my Model 59 S&W that I bought in the '70's. I just like the Glocks a little better.

I am a big xd fan. My xd40 service you can change barrel and run .357sig and change barrel and mags and run 9mm. Pistols with option are very appealing to me because you can have multiple calibers for less money than buying seperate guns. Edited by jtmaze

Looking for a new pistol. Primarily home defense with occasional carry. Open to 9/40/45. Thinking xdm compact. Glock 30 gen 4. Any suggestions? I like the XDs but just can't get past 5+1. I do want something with a rail.

The suggestions so far are pretty good, but I'm concerned about the "occasional carry" part. If you mean you'll carry it sometimes in lieu of your primary EDC, then all the suggestions so far are fine.

If you mean you'll only carry it occasionally and go unarmed the rest of the time, I'd strongly suggest you rethink your logic. At the very least, increase your budget by $300 and buy a tiny 380 that you will carry everywhere every day. The TCP, LCP, and P3-AT are all pretty good "carry-when-you-can't/won't-carry-anything else" guns.

I carry an LCR if I'm wearing clothes as my brother says. This is a secondary pistol. I've had several Glocks before just kicking around different options. Thanks everyone for your insight. Still haven't decided but leaning G19 Gen 4. Already had a Gen 3.

I have quite a few handguns, and have been messing with them for over 30 years. Any quality handgun will work. I have always tried to stick with what law enforcement would carry. I'll get a wild hair and carry a J Frame, or LCP sometimes, but usually grab one of the Glocks. They're light, they always work, and it's real hard to hurt them. M&P's are the same deal.

It's hard to go wrong. The odds of finding your all time favorite are pretty slim until you have been through a bunch. That should be obvious when you read any of the TGO "which pistol" threads. A lot of the folks on here have been down the road with handguns. In the end, their preferences are all over the place.

When it comes down to it, I'm perfectly comfortable carrying my Model 59 S&W that I bought in the '70's. I just like the Glocks a little better.

+1 I have owned most of the major manufacturers (XD, M&P, Glock, etc). They all worked great and would not hesitate to carry any of them. I'm all Glock now but that doesn't mean I won't get something else down the road in search of the holy grail.