Broke the 700 mile mark!

Since Mid March ive rode 700+ miles on my bicycle and lost 26 pounds. When i started i went 3 miles and about died. Now i knock 16 miles out daily and get bored soon as im done. Im a riding junkie now. Lol
  • Like 4

I hear ya, i have been back on the bike( mind you it's a mountian bike full suspension). Not many trails around my area but working on that. Hope to be able to lose as much as you have soon. With the weather the way it has been, shouldn't be a problem.

Guest Bonedaddy

I need to make time to ride mine. Not for weight loss (lost 15lbs this year doin' nothin') but for cardio and general muskle retention in my legs. Bein' messed up with a bad back and neck, walkin' don't cut it, no more but I could ride for a spell as long as I don't sit up straight for long and stay outta the pot holes. Bought one of them retro lookin', 7 speed Schwinns, a couple years ago and changed out the handle bars and seat but still haven't put many miles on it. Might just help the bad circulation in the legs, a bit.

Since Mid March ive rode 700+ miles on my bicycle and lost 26 pounds. When i started i went 3 miles and about died. Now i knock 16 miles out daily and get bored soon as im done. Im a riding junkie now. Lol

Thats an awsome achievement.

I ride about twice a week... 17 miles or so each time... but one of the rides is pretty fast. The other is merely a social ride with a few one minute pick ups. 

I'm looking for a used trail bike in a small... for a 5'5" guy. So far, I've only found medium and large. :down:

What kind of bike would be good for a beginner riding mostly concrete bike trails? Don't want to drop serious money until I figure out if I am going to like it. I'm about 6' 3 and 280.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Guest Cazador

Riding becomes an addiction. I ride 4 to 5 times a week. When you miss a ride day it's like you start into withdraw. You start surfing sites for faster tires, cool jerseys and shorts. They run group road rides a couple times a week here but with my work it's hard to catch them. I try to get in 25 to 35 miles a ride. It's hard to believe I can buy a tire for my F250 for the same as a road bike tire.

Guest Cazador

babelt.

I would go to a good bike shop and ask if they do bike fittings, getting a bike that fits you will make it more enjoyable. Then you can check Craigs list for a quality bike that will last. Nothing worse than your bike constantly in the shop for repairs.

some of the bike shops have good used bikes they are selling for someone and they will tell you if it's a good deal or not. Also you can expect to drop a few dollars on the extras like clip in shoes, peddles, padded shorts, gloves, air pump, patch kit and a helmet.

What kind of bike would be good for a beginner riding mostly concrete bike trails? Don't want to drop serious money until I figure out if I am going to like it. I'm about 6' 3 and 280.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I think they're called hybrids or city bikes.... straight handlebars, upright seating position, no front or rear shocks. It's going to be hard to find a comfortable bike seat. I don't think you'd be comfortable on a road bike until you've ridden a few months. Mountain bikes with their big knobby tires are hard to ride on paved bike trails, so that leaves hybrids. A beach cruiser would probably also be okay... too slow for my preferred style of riding, but they should be fine for an easy ride on paved bike trails.

Edited by jgradyc
  • Like 1

I need to make time to ride mine. Not for weight loss (lost 15lbs this year doin' nothin') but for cardio and general muskle retention in my legs. Bein' messed up with a bad back and neck, walkin' don't cut it, no more but I could ride for a spell as long as I don't sit up straight for long and stay outta the pot holes. Bought one of them retro lookin', 7 speed Schwinns, a couple years ago and changed out the handle bars and seat but still haven't put many miles on it. Might just help the bad circulation in the legs, a bit.

Bicycling is really good for that, I started riding regularly again as part of my physical rehab to work my lower body & get a bit of cardio, I also started canoeing more regularly to work my upper body without stressing on my spine.

I did have to swap out my Mongoose mountain bike's saddle for a big ole' soft-gel after-market "tractor seat" because the hard plastic factory seat I was in agony after about 10-15 minutes of riding, with the tractor seat I can ride all-day at a medium pace and my spine will only be somewhat sore.

I dig them ole' 7-speed Schwinns though, you should post up a pic!

i use to include bike riding in my workouts.  but i have stopped because of bad drivers these days.  more people on the cell phone and not driving.  it has gotten to be a war zone on the road.  after several close calls with women texting and driving i gave road bike riding up.

I ride about twice a week... 17 miles or so each time... but one of the rides is pretty fast. The other is merely a social ride with a few one minute pick ups. 

I'm looking for a used trail bike in a small... for a 5'5" guy. So far, I've only found medium and large. :down:

Yep, it's hard to find a smaller frame that's not pink.  The one I ended up with is teal, and I've seriously considered stripping it down and rattle canning it.  But its such a POS, its really not worth the effort.  I'd like to upgrade, but that's hard to justify given how little I actually ride it.

• 1 month later...
Quick update, ive hit 1, 060 miles on my bike , had to replace the rear tire as I killed it: ) ive now lost 34 pounds and my wife says shes starting to feel like I look to good for her. Lol I think she wants me to stop getting fit.

Congrats on the weight loss and continued enjoyment of cycling. I replaced my tires last month with Continental Grand Prix 4000 tires. They are great! I can really tell a difference. I got them online at Nashbar on sale. As a pleasant surprise, I went to a local bike shop and discovered that I can ride a medium in some brands of mountain bikes... specialized and trek. I can't ride the Giants. Their medium is too big. Anyway, I'm still looking for a good small or medium mountain bike.

In fact, I went to MOAB... that's in the 'boro.

Thanks guys , I hope to hit my goal before winter sets in. Got 18 pounds to go. Might try one of those bike tours next spring.

I'm only an aspiring bicycle owner. But, as a motorcyclist I just wanted to say don't give it up when winter rolls around.  I get some of my best motorcycle riding in during the winter.  Specifically that's when the dirt bikes come out as they require more physical work to ride.  50 degrees is about my perfect dirtbiking temperature, which depending on weather is pretty common throughout the winter around here.