Chattanooga church meeting to discuss Stand Your Ground

Olivet Baptist Church in Chattanooga is having a "town hall" meeting tonight to discuss "stand your ground" laws. The news has already had a story on it and showed the pastor talking and saying, "These laws have got to change, but for them to change we all have to be registered to vote."

We need to continue with our own education about why these laws are needed. Why anyone would want to be required to flee before defending yourself is beyond me. The only thing I can think of is that all of these people are severely misinformed to what these laws are used for and how they had zero to do with the Zimmerman case.

Good Steward and whitewolf are right.  I had forgotten just where this church is.  As they have said; its right square in the middle of a place that no one (...black or otherwise...) wants to be in.   There is plenty of this sort of thing in downtown chattanooga (...and other places, includin knoxville and oak ridge -- it's goin there too....).   Theirs just happens to be located just a bit north of downtown.  

The black community in chattanooga (...or anywhere else, for that matter...) is gonna have to come to the realization that they are the source of the problem instead of blaming "whitey" and everything else for their problems.  The matriarchial society and no two parent homes are major contributors to thuggism and crime in the black community; anong with the servitude that comes from the exploiting of your brothers and sisters by selling them dope, stealing from them, and raping them. The majority (...not all...) of black folks have placed themselves in voluntary servitude to the dole and their enabling masters and they are reaping a bitter harvest from that decision.

No amount of pandering and politicing by a black preacher that believes what Jessee Jackson and Al Sharpton have to say about "equality" and political action will fix that.  There's a young black preacher sayin the same thing in knoxville; he is just being a bit more careful.   These "shepherds of the flock" would do a lot better to tell their parishoners the truth; but my guess is that collections would go down once the truth of the matter wuz spoken.  I have very little confidence that they will do that.   The first step to solvin any problem is admitting what the problem is.  I have serious doubts that those involved want to face the real truth about black crime.

Black crime is a real problem; and the current bunch of jackasses in the White House and in the In-Justice department have emboldened it to some extent.   The problem aint being "profiled" and "singled out" and bein shot by "stand your ground" folks.  The problem is doin the crime to begin with and expecting everybody to put up with it.  

This has made folks of all colors and creeds nervous and edgy. They are arming themselves and retreating to their homes and "safe locations".  That's a very bad thing and could have horrific consequences.   It aint been that long ago that there was pretty serious trouble in chattanooga.   Ive got friends who saw the burning and pillaging first hand..  Changing "stand your ground' law aint gonna make any difference when people feel threatened; and there are lots of folks that are beginning to feel that way everywhere.   This idiotic rhetoric by the race-baiting cottage industry could have real bad consequences.   Facing that truth is too sobering for lots of people, black and white.

leroy

• Like 2

Here's how I feel about Self Defense.  It  means I don't have to RUN (which I am unable to do due to injuries and age)  if approached by a thug and HOPE for SURVIVAL from the situation in a completely DEFENSELESS position.  I have a right to exist HASSLE FREE wherever I am legally entitled to be. It reiterates my GOD given right to defend my life and the life of those I LOVE in a dire situation imposed on me by a THUG with the intent to do bodily harm to me or someone I love.

If YOU want to grab your ANKLES, that's fine with me, just don't WHINE after you bow down to the thug and endure HIS delightful SINS upon your person or upon someone you love.

REMEMBER.....WHEN SECONDS COUNT, HELP IS ONLY MINUTES AWAY......

• Like 3

Aren't STYG laws a defense, kind of like having a HCP is defense against it being illegal to carry a gun in TN? IOW in the absence of STYG it is simply a case of self defense.

I thought duty to retreat was specifically written into some state laws just as STYG is written into some state laws. Again, in the absence of duty to retreat an incident is treated as self defense.

With these understandings it seems that battling STYG laws is not going to fix any perceived problems as felt by the black community. A spokeswoman said today that "We owe it to the Martin family to try to get rid of that law."  But as we all know, that law has/had no bearing on the Zimmerman case. A lack of STYG would not have changed anything as he used self defense as his defense and was found not guilty.

As usual, I guess "they" feel like they need to so something, even if it doesn't really address the perceived problem.

Jeff

You can't "STAND" your ground anyway when some punk thug in a hoodie is sitting on top of you bashing your brains out. Geez.

The more they complain about SyG, the dumber they appear. It wasn't the basis for the acquittal. I'm sorry, but can we buy some of those people a friggin' clue?
  • Like 1

These people had two groups to blame including, but not limited to, the following:

1) Gang bangers who prey on the helpless and psychos

2) Law abiding citizens and people who would defend the helpless

I feel like I'm living in an episode of Twilight Zone!

You can't "STAND" your ground anyway when some punk thug in a hoodie is sitting on top of you bashing your brains out. Geez.
The more they complain about SyG, the dumber they appear. It wasn't the basis for the acquittal. I'm sorry, but can we buy some of those people a friggin' clue?

But we already buy them so much (food, phones, baby formula, etc.) ... plus I don't understand what buying them a board game (haha ... Clue) is going to do besides occupy their time so they aren't out doing whatever it is they do with their free time.
The only way I can figure that folks oppose stand you ground laws is that they don't want people to shoot the gangbangers they provided a womb for. There is no other logical reason I can come up with.

On another note, I still can't believe how stupid Americans are that SYG is still synonymous with the Trayvon Martin killing when it had nothing to do with it.

So this is what I can gather:

1. In the early days of this case SYG was referenced, and the media burrowed this into the story like a tick.

2. Liberals saw the opportunity to change pro-carry legislation, so they kept the SYG debate in the forefront, using the Martin case as their soapbox, even though they knew one had nothing to do with the other.

3. In a way to poetically weave their agenda into racial tensions, SYG became the villain against black youths, and the liberals exploited the incorrect perception that somehow the legislation is responsible for white people killing young black men, thus galvanizing the movement against SYG.

4. The assault continues as low information voters label any facts or evidence contrary to the narrative as "racist" while at the same time supporting a theory that innocents should have less rights than the criminals who do them harm.

On the bright side, this racist thing really seems to be losing its bite. I would think that it would go away altogether, but then some idiot shows up and makes a comment about fried chicken and watermelon which only reaffirms what the libtards have been saying all along about our side. We can't expect both sides of this to make it solely about the facts, but if we could just make our side about the facts as opposed to a few folks injecting true racism into the mix then our logic would be undeniable.
  • Like 2

But I like fried chicken and watermelon too, and I'm white! Heck on some days I even eat skittles.

I know, I like most all the same foods that are stereotypical of southern black folks. I hate skittles though. Ever since they started putting them in MREs in lieu of M&Ms.

My comment is referring to stuff like this posted in another thread. There is no other way to interpret this as racist, especially the hearts and minds we're trying to bring over from the emotional to the rational side.

Or one could try some racial healing tactics and

1) Call a friend
2) Explain the situation
3) Ask him/her to bring 30+ barrels of KFC, couple dozen cases of Schlitz and some watermelon.
4) Like the Nazarene feed the masses.

Maybe someone should tell them without stand your ground Martin, not Zimmerman, would have been commiting a crime by confronting the person following him. However, I am not saying Zimmerman was committing a crime.