Let's talk bicycles!

• Moderators

My wife and I are considering getting some bikes. They will be mainly used for recreation/exercise. I think a pair of mountain bikes would probably serve us the best. We plan on riding them on the greenway in Cleveland, but would also like the ability to take them off-road (whereas you typically couldn't with a road bike).

Neither of us know much about the different brands and styles, but I am interested in purchasing something that is a good combination of price/durability. I want something that will last, but not if it costs $2000. Price range is probably $200-$400 each, and if something is available towards the lower end of that range, the better!

For each "hobby" there is typically a product that most can agree with is a well built classic standard. For reloading that might be the Lee Classic, for .22 rifles it might be the 10/22, for "sporting arms" it might be the AR-15. What would the class standard be for a mountain bike?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You probably want a hybrid rather than a true mountain bike.  The hybrid will be faster and more comfortable on the paved paths, while still being somewhat capable when it isn't paved. 

You won't find much new in the $200 range... $400 is a little closer to reality for something with good components.  Sometimes you can find deals on Craigslist, but you've got to know what you're looking for. 

Measure yourselves and determine the frame size you need.  It's important to be sure the bike fits you properly.  If it's uncomfortable, you won't ride it.

There's a ton of brands out there, the important thing is the components in the bike (shifters, derailers, wheels, etc.)  I'm not up on all the details like I used to be.  I'm sure someone will chime in with more info.  Don't be surprised if it resembles the classic 9mm vs. .45 debate.  ;) 

Be prepared for a sore arse.  It takes some time to acclimate your back side to sitting on a bike seat for any length of time. 

Guest TankerHC

I have also been looking for a bike. Looking for a 29 inch Mountain Bike. I have owned a few of those Walmart bikes, the $94 Mountain Bikes with the suspension. Back around 92 I bought a Trek to take to Korea with me, used it was nearly $400. I'm not real knowledgeable on bicycles, but some of these 100 dollar bikes are lighter than my trek, with the same or better gears and more options. If it were not for the fact I want a 29 inch bike, I would be buying one today.

Im going to ride for my health, but dont need a $2000 dollar bike either or even a $400 bike

Well, i'm going to put my 2 cents in on this one. Since i am an avid mountainbiker and i started out on a Huffy(most of us did). I have a K2 animal ( Hencemy log on name) which might be a bit much for the recreational rider.

The best thing to do would be for you to go to a bicycle shop ( not a sporting goods store) but a bike shop. That way they can measure you and make sure you get a frame that fits you and one that fits your wife. Cookie cutter bikes are fine for the kiddos, But when you get to riding something a lot you need something that is more comfortable and just rides better. Plus, I would tryto help out the small business as much as possible.

You can get a good quality bike for $300-$800. Depending on the components mainly. The frames these days are mostly aluminum or steel. The carbon fiber and Titanium i would stay away from unless you decide to get into racing or have the $$$$ to spend on those.

Shop around, you canfind some good deals on craigslist. But IMHO a new bike will have no issues the used ones( even if they look mechanically sound) might have lying underneath. Also see the "fit" issue.

But as with everything, you get what you pay for.

Guest TankerHC

Well, i'm going to put my 2 cents in on this one. Since i am an avid mountainbiker and i started out on a Huffy(most of us did). I have a K2 animal ( Hencemy log on name) which might be a bit much for the recreational rider.

The best thing to do would be for you to go to a bicycle shop ( not a sporting goods store) but a bike shop. That way they can measure you and make sure you get a frame that fits you and one that fits your wife. Cookie cutter bikes are fine for the kiddos, But when you get to riding something a lot you need something that is more comfortable and just rides better. Plus, I would tryto help out the small business as much as possible.

You can get a good quality bike for $300-$800. Depending on the components mainly. The frames these days are mostly aluminum or steel. The carbon fiber and Titanium i would stay away from unless you decide to get into racing or have the $$$$ to spend on those.

Shop around, you canfind some good deals on craigslist. But IMHO a new bike will have no issues the used ones( even if they look mechanically sound) might have lying underneath. Also see the "fit" issue.

But as with everything, you get what you pay for.

Looking for a 29 inch bike there is a guy on Craigslist with an Animal really cheap. But I have seen them super low priced and super high priced, dont know which one he has and dont know anything about them other than what I have read, hasnt responded to my email yet but the price does seem reasonable.

I haven't shopped for bikes in several years, they used to be my life though. Back pains keep me from riding now. 1st I am a huge Trek fan, but components not the name on the bike make the bike. If your looking for cheap and value Raleigh and Monobecane normally appeal but they will still be at the top of your budget, these two normally come with bettered components. I can't even recommend the best shop around Chattanooga or Cleveland. East Ridge Bicycles (closed Saturdays)for a long time has been top notch and great to deal with. I have had mediocre experiences at Scott's Bike shop. I haven't been in River City or Suck Creek Cycles since I was a kid.
Guest TheDrip

I was in the same situation a year or so ago. Wanting a bike, not knowing anything. Got pointed to bikesdirect.com . Motobecane is the brand of pretty much everything they carry. Good components for a reasonable price. I ended up with a 29" Hybrid bike. Very happy with the components that came on it, happy with the abuse it has taken. I seem to remember it being about $350. There was another bike I was considering for $299 as well, but I can't remember what it was. also from bikesdirect.

I would definitely recommend at least considering them.

I'm in Chattanooga, so if it really came to wanting to see one, I'm sure i could make it appear where needed. I haven't ridden it since i got here though. Too many hills for a fat guy like me. Florida was a lot more lazy friendly in that respect.

Edited by TheDrip
I'd say hybrid is a good way to go. That's what me and the wife have. You can get them in either a "more road bike" config or a "more mountain bike" config in addition to straight down the middle. To me, the big difference (besides obvious components) is the tire and seat. My "road bike" hybrid has a hard seat (ouch! unless you have bike shorts) and smooth tires; so I don't go off road with mine much because of little traction on tires. My wife has a more "mountain bike"/"commuter" hybrid. Her seat is cushy and her tired are a tad but wider with some traction.

Either way you'd go I +1 the idea of going to a good bike shop for fit and advice. The good bike shops I've been to are much like good gun shops. They'll talk with you, educate you, let you play with their stuff, and let you know what's good for you, without a lot of pressure at the time since you're a noob. If you're planning on going on longish rides I'd also suggest practicing changing the tire a few times at home and making sure you have mobile accessories and a pouch you can take with you (most will mount under the seat). Oh yes ... and a helmet! Edited by npgunner
  • Moderators
I'm in the market for a bicycle myself right now. I have narrowed my choices to a couple of different street style bikes. I will almost exclusively ride it on pavement so I decided against front or rear shocks. This is the leading candidate at the moment, thought I am also considering the the next one up from this one which has some better components like disc brakes.

http://www.gtbicycles.com/2013/bikes/urban/city/traffic-4-0

I'm also in the market for a good size small mountain bike. I just lost a bid on eBay tonight on a 2013 Cannondale that sold for $1,435... about $1,250 is all I'm willing to spend. However, I am looking for a good single track off-road bike that will never see pavement that will be ridden hard and fast. Your desired type of riding is different.

I your case, I'd agree with the assessment of a hybrid bike. They should do just fine on the greenway and should have enough off-road ability to meet your needs. I haven't looked at these bikes recently, so I can't cite a price, but I'd guess you could find a decent bike in the $600 range. I'd start out by checking out the local bike stores. Fit is critically important in a bike. REALLY IMPORTANT!!!!  If the bike doesn't fit, a $2,000 bike will be harder to ride than a $500 bike that does fit. If you are just starting out, you really can't figure out fit on your own.

If you ride a lot, the "fit" you started out with will no longer fit. As you become a better rider and learn how to ride, your fit will change slightly.

Looking for a 29 inch bike there is a guy on Craigslist with an Animal really cheap. But I have seen them super low priced and super high priced, dont know which one he has and dont know anything about them other than what I have read, hasnt responded to my email yet but the price does seem reasonable.

Why is the 29"?  Most mountianbikes are 26", the 29" is more oftena higher priced model. Unless they have changed and brought out some cheap wal-mart models. Which, I have yet to see a 29" ANIMAL.

I saw some nice mountain bikes at MOAB in Murfreesboro with 29" wheels last week in the $400-$500 range. Nice bikes for the money and they will make sure the bike fits you. Any good bike shop will do that. Be sure and leave with a helmet. It might save your noggin some day and if you do any organized rides you'll have to have one anyway.

+1 on the helmet.  A few years back, I went out for a test ride not planning on leaving our gated retirement community... very low speed casual ride.

I went down a cul-de-sac and made a u-turn at the end and hit a small piece of wood tossed on the road by a lawn mower. I was barely pedaling, but it tossed me over the bars and I landed on the back of my head.  It cracked my helmet and I had headaches for weeks, but no permanent damage. I ALWAYS wear a helmet, gloves, and sunglasses.

Slightly off topic, but I went to Eastside Cycles in east Nashville a couple of days ago and talked to Scott (the owner? co-owner?) He says the 29ers are so superior to the 26 for single track riding in the places we can ride around Nashville that he doesn't sell 26 inchers any more. I'm sure he sells them for other type riding, but all his serious mountain bikes were 29ers. He had a nice Giant Anthem size small for $1,799 discounted 20% to... what would that be... calculating... $1,440 plus tax.

Since the OP is probably not going to wear spandex cycling shorts, let me suggest padded underwear like this.  Quality padded bike shorts (or underwear) makes a HUGE difference in comfort.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sports-Cycling-Silica-gel-Underwear-Briefs-with-pad-Body-Protection-MTB-Road-/181125696412?pt=US_Cycling_Clothing&hash=item2a2beecb9c

You can wear these under regular shorts. I have some like this, but not this exact brand. I paid about $13.99 for them on eBay as I recall expecting them to be junk and then being pleasantly surprised. I like them as much as my spandex $130 Pearl Izumi Microsensor cycling shorts. I wear them under a quick dry cargo short.

Even if you decide you're too tough for padding, your wife will want a nice pair of padded bike shorts.

I would recommend to borrow some cruiser and try it over the weekend, Same with mount bike. Try them on your favourite trail. After an hour of riding you will have a feeling what you want. This feeling is important. Let bike shop expert advise you on geometry and tuning, but not on the type of your bike.