HOME DEFENSE QUESTION

One thing you have to remember. The cops won't clean up the mess.  I heard a story of a guy who confronted a man inside his home and shot him with a 12 gauge shotgun.

The man talks about having to clean skull fragments and brains that splattered all over the living room. The memories were so bad that he ended up selling the house and moving elsewhere.  The good point is that he was alive to sell his house and move, plus protecting you life and family is more important than worrying about the carpet. The bad point is that he could have stopped the guy with a lesser gun, but better to have too much gun than not enough I recon.  I go with a handgun first and a long gun if a) I can get to it and b) if the the situation warrants it.

One thing you have to remember. The cops won't clean up the mess.  I heard a story of a guy who confronted a man inside his home and shot him with a 12 gauge shotgun.

The man talks about having to clean skull fragments and brains that splattered all over the living room. The memories were so bad that he ended up selling the house and moving elsewhere.  The good point is that he was alive to sell his house and move, plus protecting you life and family is more important than worrying about the carpet. The bad point is that he could have stopped the guy with a lesser gun, but better to have too much gun than not enough I recon.  I go with a handgun first and a long gun if a) I can get to it and B) if the the situation warrants it.

They have clean up services that do that. If you blast a criminal all over the inside of your house; come on here and ask for donations to help pay for the cleanup. biggrin.gif

• Like 3

One thing you have to remember. The cops won't clean up the mess. I heard a story of a guy who confronted a man inside his home and shot him with a 12 gauge shotgun.
The man talks about having to clean skull fragments and brains that splattered all over the living room. The memories were so bad that he ended up selling the house and moving elsewhere. The good point is that he was alive to sell his house and move, plus protecting you life and family is more important than worrying about the carpet. The bad point is that he could have stopped the guy with a lesser gun, but better to have too much gun than not enough I recon. I go with a handgun first and a long gun if a) I can get to it and b) if the the situation warrants it.

Doesn't matter much for flooring. A gunshot wound with any caliber that causes someone to bleed out is gonna get in your subfloor. Even a pint of blood looks like a gallon once it is on a surface. I don't know if my homeowner's insurance would cover it, but I'd try to claim it.

I have an 870 nearby, tube loaded with 00, but like you i'll depend on my handgun. I can't legally own a shotgun short enough for my liking to manuver around my small house, my G21 with 13 rounds of .45 is a decent choice for me. I always had a desire for a .45ACP carbine as short or shorter than an M3 Grease gun with an adjustable stock, at least an 8" barrell, a 20 rnd. capacity or larger mag., top and bottom rails for lights and lasers and AK reliability. That would make for a good close quarters defense weapon.

Masterpiece Arms makes a cool looking .45 carbine, it looks like a MAk 10 with a stock and a rail.

I don't really see how barrel length should be an issue; at least not a critical one.

There aren't many circumstances where one truly needs to go walking though his/her home with a long gun....unless you truly MUST clear your home or you need to get to loved ones, etc.  Every trainer I've ever trained with and I would bet 99% of all cops will tell you to wait for the cops to get there to clear your home and they are likely much better trained and equipped to do so than most civilians will ever be.

My SCAR and 12 ga are in my bedroom because that's what I consider to be my "safe room"...I'm going to be waiting for the bad guy(s) to come to me and if they do, they'll face something much more potent than any handgun of any caliber can be.

If I really do have to go clear my house, I'll be using my pistol (all my hd pistols have WML) but I'll have either my SCAR or my shotgun with me on a sling.

• Like 1

I don't really see how barrel length should be an issue; at least not a critical one.

There aren't many circumstances where one truly needs to go walking though his/her home with a long gun....unless you truly MUST clear your home or you need to get to loved ones, etc.  Every trainer I've ever trained with and I would bet 99% of all cops will tell you to wait for the cops to get there to clear your home and they are likely much better trained and equipped to do so than most civilians will ever be.

My SCAR and 12 ga are in my bedroom because that's what I consider to be my "safe room"...I'm going to be waiting for the bad guy(s) to come to me and if they do, they'll face something much more potent than any handgun of any caliber can be.

If I really do have to go clear my house, I'll be using my pistol (all my hd pistols have WML) but I'll have either my SCAR or my shotgun with me on a sling.

Yea, I didn't much care to roam around my house with cob webs in my head, heart pounding and the blasting siren but...

To silence the 2,750 db alarm I had to physically make my way from  the master bedroom to the kitchen. It's impossible to hear anything on a cell phone, or any phone to make a call. You question yourself if it a false alarm or the real thing? We barely heard the phone ring when ADT called a few minutes after the alarm went off.

Then again, as Rob Pincus always advises, it's best to let the BG come to you and not go looking for them but...

When someone has the gull to break into your home, it's difficult to stop the testosterone dump.

Yea, I didn't much care to roam around my house with cob webs in my head, heart pounding and the blasting siren but...

To silence the 2,750 db alarm I had to physically make my way from  the master bedroom to the kitchen. It's impossible to hear anything on a cell phone, or any phone to make a call. You question yourself if it a false alarm or the real thing? We barely heard the phone ring when ADT called a few minutes after the alarm went off.

Then again, as Rob Pincus always advises, it's best to let the BG come to you and not go looking for them but...

When someone has the gull to break into your home, it's difficult to stop the testosterone dump.

I can control my alarm system from my bedroom with a key fob...something you might want to invest in. ;)

IMO, it depends on the configuration of your home, number of corners, walls, stairs, outside your home with neighbors close by, children in your bedrooms, etc.

When my burglar alarm went off at 3:00 A.M. some time ago, I grabbed my 870 shotgun and quickly realized it was to awkward and cumbersome for the twists, turns, configuration and stairs in my home. So I went back to my bedroom and grabbed my handgun.

Lots of things to consider and a practice session might be beneficial, as it was for me, and thankfully it was a false alarm. If the real thing happens, you best have all your bugs worked out and have a definitive plan and the proper tools to maximize your desired outcome.

What works best for one person probably won't be your best choice.

I've NEVER understood the shotgun preference for HOME defense. Maybe I don't have a big enough house, but the 12 ga pump is only useful to me when I exit the house. I always sleep with at least a 9mm or better near the bed.

I recently mounted a tactical light to the 12 ga, and that makes it much more effective at night.........OUTSIDE! But to get thru a house with doors and walls and various other obstacles, I move much quicker with one handgun and one tactical flashlight .

And I've done enough tests with 12 and 20s to know the "SPREAD" at minimal distances is no guarantee you'll hit a moving target while you whole body is exposed to whatever caliber handgun might be aimed at your. How many Criminals carry shotguns to commit a armed break-in. I'm sure there have been a few, BUT Criminals are stupid! They do most anything! 'Cause their stupid!

• Like 1
I conceal a S&W M&P40 (15+1) w/TLR1 light daily. When I get home it turns into a 19+1 and goes on my nightstand when I go to bed. I'm trying to justify night sights so I can more easily index it in the dark from my nightstand.

I found out quickly that any rifle/shotgun is too long to effeciently move around corners and requires both hands to keep at the ready. This is bad for operating light switches, doors, and maintaining my personal space, specifically my cranium from blunt force.

I do not doubt a rifle or shotguns effectiveness. They are just too slow and offer too much to grab onto in my home. YMMV

I do feel pretty well armed with what I have, the maximum "visable" distance in my small house i'll be from someone is 7 yards so I should be able to hit a torso sized target with my G21.

But dang, this carbine just looks cool to me.

https://masterpiecearms.com/products.php?cat=34

The man talks about having to clean skull fragments and brains that splattered all over the living room. The memories were so bad that he ended up selling the house and moving elsewhere.  The good point is that he was alive to sell his house and move, plus protecting you life and family is more important than worrying about the carpet. The bad point is that he could have stopped the guy with a lesser gun, but better to have too much gun than not enough I recon.  I go with a handgun first and a long gun if a) I can get to it and B) if the the situation warrants it.

The Wuss.....I would'a made posters from the pics and plastered them beside the front door.  Discouragement purposes only of course.... :rofl:

Doesn't matter much for flooring. A gunshot wound with any caliber that causes someone to bleed out is gonna get in your subfloor. Even a pint of blood looks like a gallon once it is on a surface. I don't know if my homeowner's insurance would cover it, but I'd try to claim it.

Call the claims department sometime and ask them if it is covered.  Let us know what they say or if your policy gets cancelled.  

I only have a 9mm with hollow points. The way my house is layed out, you have to pass my room to reach the kids rooms. So ill be camping in the dark and wait for the perp to inter the doorway. If he thinks im still sleeping the surprise is on him.

Ideally, a suppressed SBR would be perfectl for home defense. I used rifles in Iraq for room clearing, and the AK or AR is probably the most versatile single weapon you could have. It has longer range than a shotgun, less recoil, more ammo, faster reloads, and no one is gonna say 2 center mass rounds from either wouldn't be effective. After using a rifle a lot, I personally can't see the reason to have a defense shotgun, but that is just me.

Use what you are comfortable with. For a handgun, something you like, shoot well, and has low recoil. I wouldn't worry about the caliber thing, any service pistol caliber with modern hollowpoints performs about the same.

For the clumsy long gun thing, with a handgun extended in front of you, a rifle at your shoulder actually isn't much longer.

Edited by ab28
I always thought the Judge or Circuit Judge would be great for home defense.
Of course I don't have one, so I keep a 38 revolver loaded with fancy hollow points handy. No jamming...

I would be afraid of a high powered rifle going through a few neighbors houses.
Edited by tbenedict

I always thought the Judge or Circuit Judge would be great for home defense.
Of course I don't have one, so I keep a 38 revolver loaded with fancy hollow points handy. No jamming...

I would be afraid of a high powered rifle going through a few neighbors houses.

The Judge combines the worst aspects of a shotgun and pistol into a bulky package. You are better off with a standard semi auto if you want a pistol.

Any bullet can overpenetrate. If someone is in my house, I need to put them down now. A rifle is best for that.

Edited by ab28