voldemort at it again

Guest nra37922

I guess when we talk "locked cases", I'm picturing the type of rifle cases that open and close like a briefcase and has a pad lock on it. I don't think he would have been stopped if he was using some common sense and carrying in a "guitar case". I don't guess anyone would have called 911 much huh? All he was doing was "cop fishing". Well, he got what he wanted.

DaveS

This would almost be worth the time to sit in the courtroom,  Probably more entertaining than most movies playing today.

...On another note, over the years I've filled out a whole lotta paperwork for various things and one question I've seen many times is whether or not I've ever been charged with a felony.

I've filled out a lot of job applications in my life; even taken a polygraph or two...I can't recall an application where I was asked about being "charged" with anything of any degree but probably all of them asked if I had ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic ticket, etc.

Other than enlisting (which did involve nuclear missiles) I haven't applied for jobs that involved weapons or controlled substances...still, I've held jobs where they definitely would not want anyone with a criminal background.  :shrug:

I've filled out a lot of job applications in my life; even taken a polygraph or two...I can't recall an application where I was asked about being "charged" with anything of any degree but probably all of them asked if I had ever been convicted of a crime other than a minor traffic ticket, etc.

Other than enlisting (which did involve nuclear missiles) I haven't applied for jobs that involved weapons or controlled substances...still, I've held jobs where they definitely would not want anyone with a criminal background. :shrug:

Perhaps it is not as common as I thought. Some of that was in regard to clearances, and a couple others were actually employers.

Other than enlisting (which did involve nuclear missiles) I haven't applied for jobs that involved weapons or controlled substances...still, I've held jobs where they definitely would not want anyone with a criminal background.  :shrug:

In the medical field so far as I've seen it thus far Vandy asks if you've been convicted and runs a background check on employees annually. The VA asked if I was charged, convicted, and about "set aside" judgements. Each had to be explanted to the security officer reviewing my access in depth, luckily I only had a singe misfortunate night from college where I mad a bad decision and it was apparently forgivable. The SO did say that if I had tried to hide it and they had come across it it in a later review that I would have been terminated. :ugh:

I have been asked frequently if I have been charged with a felony while applying for jobs. Most of these were law enforcement oriented jobs though. As far as medical, sales, or normal civilian jobs I don't know if it ever gets asked.

We've seen folks on here that couldn't get their HCP because of dismissed charges that didn't get disposed of properly in the record. Lenny would probably fail a background check right now because of pending felony charges. I expect those charges to be dismissed if his paperwork is in order. Once the case is closed and the charges are gone, he should be good to go again, unless there's a clerical snafu. In his case, "special" as he is, I can see an accidentally intentional clerical snafu. It's not like anybody would believe that it's anything more than incompetence.

We've seen folks on here that couldn't get their HCP because of dismissed charges that didn't get disposed of properly in the record. Lenny would probably fail a background check right now because of pending felony charges. I expect those charges to be dismissed if his paperwork is in order. Once the case is closed and the charges are gone, he should be good to go again, unless there's a clerical snafu. In his case, "special" as he is, I can see an accidentally intentional clerical snafu. It's not like anybody would believe that it's anything more than incompetence.

Mine was initially denied because of a "charge" from over 20 years before...I had to obtain documents to show that everything was dismissed.  As is usual when government bureaucrats are involved, they were very efficient in recording the "charge" but seemed to lack any ability to show that the charges were dismissed almost the same time there were made...makes me wonder just how many other folks have something like that hanging over their head and don't even know it because no one has had a reason to look???

Funny thing is, even the background check you can buy on the internet to check up on someone (even to check your owe record) shows it correctly for me yet the TBI can't seem to find that info on their own. :shrug:

Edited by RobertNashville

Perhaps it is not as common as I thought. Some of that was in regard to clearances, and a couple others were actually employers.

I'm sure it depends on the job...I've never had a job that they didn't run a criminal background check; just have never been asked about being charged; only convicted.

I'm sure asking about being charged is usual for a job in law enforcement or that required a high govt security clearance.

Unless you work in security or a secure location they may or may not find out about past arrests or convictions. But many places ask specifically if you have ever been arrested and to list the circumstances. They will make the determination if it’s important to them.

Even if you don’t work in a secure location there are misdemeanor arrests that could keep you from getting a job. DUI and Domestic Violence are worse than Bank Robbery in a job interview.

That is until being a criminal becomes a protected class. biggrin.gif

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/68570-background-checks-off-limits-to-employers/

• Like 1

Im sure Leonard has no intention of trying to get the dropped any earlier than his court date.  In my opinion he's going to let it go to the court date just to rack up more "damages"

If he didn't have a quick $3K for bail laying around, I guess he's already out 300 clams.

- OS

He also lost his job, and i'm sure his FFL is at least put on some form of suspension temporary hold since he's charged with a felony.

Did he lose his job? The news says he was put on administrative leave. He works in the health care industry; could lead to a mental health eval to go back to work.

Guest nra37922

Did he lose his job? The news says he was put on administrative leave. He works in the health care industry; could lead to a mental health eval to go back to work.

Clean record, ie. no convictions and pass a drug test.

He also lost his job, and i'm sure his FFL is at least put on some form of suspension temporary hold since he's charged with a felony.

Dunno why you're "sure" about that, unless you know of something in their license rules that I don't.

- OS

Dunno why you're "sure" about that, unless you know of something in their license rules that I don't.

I'd have to dig into their rules but it stands to reason that if you cant purchase a firearm if your currently under indictment for a felony then you wouldn't be able to process the sale of firearms while your under indictment either.

• Like 1

I'd have to dig into their rules but it stands to reason that if you cant purchase a firearm if your currently under indictment for a felony then you wouldn't be able to process the sale of firearms while your under indictment either.

Well, admittedly, that's a good point  -- I guess it depends on what they define by "receiving" firearms. Excerpt from:

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/licensing.html#licensing-qualifications

"ATF will approve the application if the applicant:

- Is not prohibited from shipping, transporting, receiving or possessing firearms or ammunition; "

Since he's not a convicted felon, he can ship, transport, and possess them. Just can't buy one, since I guess he is definitely under "indictment or information in any court for a felony". Which I suppose would preclude being transferee from a distributor too, but I dunno.

Then again, who knows who contacts who in these cases, and how long it takes for something to happen.

Maybe more "damages" to sue for if they jerk it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot