Dolomite is at it again!

Way back when, famed gunsmith P.O.Ackley came up with the ".22 Earengeshplittenloudenboomer" (no lie, that's what he named it) which was a .50BMG necked down to .22 caliber.  Bullets were hand turned...can't recall what he used...because normal bullets couldn't take the velocities.  Velocity was, if I recall, somewhere in the 6000fps range from a test barrel, and no, it was never offered commercially.

Way back when, famed gunsmith P.O.Ackley came up with the ".22 Earengeshplittenloudenboomer" (no lie, that's what he named it) which was a .50BMG necked down to .22 caliber.  Bullets were hand turned...can't recall what he used...because normal bullets couldn't take the velocities.  Velocity was, if I recall, somewhere in the 6000fps range from a test barrel, and no, it was never offered commercially.

22DoloBallistics_zpse9980e00.jpg

I read an article about a guy back in the 60's who pushed a bullet to 10k fps. The casings were different in the rim was on the inside of the case. This allowed the entire case to be supported and in turn able to increase pressures.

I will try to find the article as the concept was amazing as well as safer than anything out today.

I read an article about a guy back in the 60's who pushed a bullet to 10k fps. The casings were different in the rim was on the inside of the case. This allowed the entire case to be supported and in turn able to increase pressures.

I will try to find the article as the concept was amazing as well as safer than anything out today.

10,00fps! how does a projectile hold up to that?

Twist is what kills a bullet. As long as the twist is appropriate the bullets will be fine. A 7 twist will sling a 223 bullet apart at 3,200 fps.

Actually spin (as a result of twist). That's a Barnes solid bullet. So, if you figure a realistic velocity of 6000 fps, you would want to half the twist rate to get the same spin as a 3000 fps bullet. I'm thinking 1:18 would rock.

Twist is what kills a bullet. As long as the twist is appropriate the bullets will be fine. A 7 twist will sling a 223 bullet apart at 3,200 fps.

I guess I never thought about a common twist rate such as 1:7 being capable of that without pushing a bullet outside normal speeds. Would you be talking about a 55gr fmj? or does the length/weight of the bullet change the speed that it fails at?

Actually spin (as a result of twist). That's a Barnes solid bullet. So, if you figure a realistic velocity of 6000 fps, you would want to half the twist rate to get the same spin as a 3000 fps bullet. I'm thinking 1:18 would rock.

6,000fps second is humming along. I put a load together that according to the Hornady is good for 3,800 fps and thought I was doing things. I hope to push it to 4,000 but didn't have a chrony and my scale was acting a bit sketchy so I didn't feel comfortable getting that close to max. 

Edit: sorry, I forgot to mention that is a .243 not a .223. Bullet weight is similar so i'm just trying to figure some of this out because i'm sure that most will translate over.

Edited by Luke E.

53 grain Sierra Match Kings will come apart at 3,200-3,300 fps when fired out of a 7 twist barrel.

I will also say that I have yet to have a published load meet the published fps in a real gun. I have chronographed dozens of published loads in several different calibers and they NEVER reached the published velocity.

53 grain Sierra Match Kings will come apart at 3,200-3,300 fps when fired out of a 7 twist barrel.

I will also say that I have yet to have a published load meet the published fps in a real gun. I have chronographed dozens of published loads in several different calibers and they NEVER reached the published velocity.

They usually aren't even real close and i've had them be 700fps slower out of a barrel that was almost an exact match of the one the data stated was used. Haven't figured that out yet.

Black Hills with 77 SMK is right on the money from my 24" gun. I know it's rare. 

Estimated 12,500 FTS at muzzle, only a depleted uranium/titanium alloy bullet can survive the spin.

- OS

I was thinking that the bullet would be intentionally designed to transform into a superheated plasma charge as it left the barrel.

Edited by JAB

They usually aren't even real close and i've had them be 700fps slower out of a barrel that was almost an exact match of the one the data stated was used. Haven't figured that out yet.

The hogden data is always pretty close for me especially in larger bore stuff like 30-06 ;)