What do you all think? TN Judge right or wrong?

Guest TankerHC

Regarding this story (I saw the kids picture on news report) I found it most odd there were black people in Cocke County.

I say use whatever name you want. My wife wanted to be sure we used names that would typically make sense as a successful person and we wanted to honor family members. There's a lot of childrens names nowadays that it's hard to imagine them as a successful and distinguished adults. To me Messiah really ain't all that bad and could be worse. Sounds like the nice old school custodian's name or something like that. Lol

That is a terrible thing to name someone, right or wrong...the judge did that kid a favor that will last him a lifetime.  I also agree that the judge cant/shouldnt tell someone what to name their child.   I dont like the .gov's intrusion in our lives any more than anyone else on this forum, in fact I hate it, but I still know that there is clearly good and bad as well as right and wrong in this world and regardless of how or who made the decision, it is my opinion the outcome of this is correct for the sake of this kid.  

Imagine trying to find a job when your name is ####ake  (looks like we have auto editing now its a type of mushroom that starts with an Shi*), Satan, Knowledge, La-La (pronounced Lah-dash-Lah), Blue Ivy, the symbol "@", North West, and yes, Messiah. Yes those are all real names too.    

Flame me if you want.  My hypocrisy is strong and I completely understand.  

Edited by Slappy

I have serious issue with parents who name their children names that will obviously cause the child emotional, and likely physical, harm. Messiah isn't one of those names but there are plenty of examples out there that a child should never be called. I can see the point of changing a child's name from "Satan" to something else for the welfare of the child but not "Messiah". If it wasn't Michael Jackson's kid "Blanket" would be a name I would change but because he will likely never spend a day in public school it will not be an issue.

Then again, who am I to tell someone else what to call their child. We already have the government trying to tell us how to live every other part of our lives.

I guess I thought it was the other way around... I thought they were trying to name the child Satan based on the original post.. 

The judge was wrong, plain and simple. While her heart may have been in the right place, it was not her job. Her job was to decide a last name.

This is a blatant violation of the First Amendment, as well as a lack of separation of Church and State, as the judge clearly made her decision based on religious principle.

Ad mentioned in another thread, I have a unique middle name. Not my first, by my middle. B. The letter. It isn't short for anything, it is just B. I can remember a time or two that I have had a headache over it, but overall, it is just something that makes me different from day one. 

I wanted the same for my daughter. As such her middle name is unique as well. She was named after a character from a book, who also happens to be a D&D Deity. Possibly even an evil one. Not my favorite character, but an important one with what I thought was a beautiful and powerful name. From a set of books that inspired a love of reading that lasts to this day. Is she gonna catch hell for it as she gets older? I don't know. In an age of Lawondadonnas and Anakin I think that a child with a middle name of Takhisis will be fine.

At least my family had the foresight to have fun with the middle name.

judge is wrong.

I think extreme names should be changed, sure --- when a parent names their kid adolph hitler jones or whatever,  the kid is going to be subjected to an extra dose of abuse between the time they are born and the time they are old enough to change it.   Let a jury of 13, majority vote decide if the name is acceptable in court.  Or, give a child a way to protest and get it changed after the age of 6, legally and completely. 

Jesus is not extreme, it is exceptionally common and unremarkable among many cultures (as is mary for the girls).

I respect the right of parents to name the kid up to a point, but with any power comes responsibility.

Guest 6.8 AR

All of you who say the judge was wrong, please answer me this. How did they get in front of the judge, in the first place?

Did the judge force them into the courtroom? They disagreed on the family name(last name) not the Messiah part. If

they can't agree on the family name, what else is wrong with this picture?

It's not that I have a problem with what someone names their child, but it appears that there was disagreement and the

parents took it before the judge. The judge only made a decision. Maybe it should have only been in the family name part,

but I think the moral of the story is:Grow up, parents, before you decide to do stupid things. Unless there is something

else to the story, I'll take the side of the judge on this.

Edited by 6.8 AR
Guest TankerHC
Some odd names in my family...today. My grandfathers name is Manson, three of his five brothers are Claud, Corbett and Watson. Two oldest, my grandfather Manson being the oldest born in 1903, were named by their Confederate grandfather. When my youngest brother was born in 77, my father wanted to name him Manson. My grandfather about begged him not to do it, its an old name but not for modern times. So now his middle name is Manson and he agrees, my grandfather was right.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2

Unfortunately, there's zero repercussions a judge can receive based on their decisions, unless they're elected and removed at the ballot box. Just look at the ninth circus court of appeals for an appointed example.

On a related abuse of power that happens more than not. My brother-in-law is 60 years old and has worked all his life. His previous wife died of an illness a decade ago and he remarried three years ago and recently got divorced. Married to this gold digger for only "three years", the judge granted her the house, 50% of what the brother-in-laws assets, and a percentage of his retirement when he draws it shortly.

How any why does a "judge" figure their decisions. Certainly it's not based on any laws that I'm aware of as far as court law?

And as despicable as it is to me for a parent to intentionally subject their children to future ridicule, embarrassment and emotional pain, the government and judges have no Constitutional authority or moral business in a families personal life. Domestic abuse of children being the possible exception. Now with that just said, I contradicted myself. Wouldn't a name like Lucifer or Satan, etc. be domestic abuse?

Edited by Dennis1209

In Iceland you have to name your kid in accordance with their baby name laws and within Norwegian naming guidelines. They actually have a baby naming committee to approve the use of a name and last year a 21 year old Icelandic girl was all over the news because at age 21 the Icelandic Government Baby naming committee decided she couldnt keep her name.

In Germany supposedly they have a law that says your kid has to be recognizeable as male or female by first name. Could have fooled me (Spent almost 12 years there) because I know a guy and 2 women all named Daghmar. But I do know about 30 Klaus's, and about a dozen each Gunther, Marko and Werner's.

There is another country in Western Europe (I cant recall which one it is) they check new babies names against a database to make sure your not using a Royal name.

My sisters name is Marion.. its a dual use name for men or woman..so that theory is out of the window

Judge was wrong.  Anybody remember when Frank Zappa named his daughter "Moon Unit Zappa"? 

There's alot of weird celebrity kid names, I just looked some up. Pilot, Sage Moonblood, Memphis Eve, etc. It's their right and choice to name their kid what they want to, at least it's supposed to be here in America.

Just what is this authoritarian judge going to do about the thousands of Mexican's named Jesus? This judge ruled against personal liberties and pretty much crapped on the constitution which is becoming more and more common these days from authoritarian minded judges and politicians. Judges like her should be suspended from the bench immediatly after a civil rights violation like this, then after a hearing, disbarred permantly.

Guest TankerHC

If your family name is Smith, it seems to me the
parents of that, who couldn't agree on the last name have little respect for the family. If the can't
agree on the last name and they are arguing over
Wrigley or Spearmint, what are they doing having
children?

I always assumed the last name would be obvious, and the first name would be something
in honor to the child or family member. My name
is fairly straightforward. This naming stuff has
become a reflection of how stupid the parents are. If the parents had a dispute and took it to
the court, more power to that judge.
Seems to have been left in better hands than the
parents.

It doesnt say but for some reason I suspect it has to do with child support or benefits.

Or, give a child a way to protest and get it changed after the age of 6, legally and completely. 

Throwing gasoline on the fire my friend. Imagine how many 7 year old little boys the world would have with awesome name like "Tigerclaw Firedragon Marshall" or "Velociraptor B Jones" there would be running around if you let 6year olds pick their names.

Personally I'm gonna go with personal freedom and responsibility on this one and say the current system of letting parents pick their children's name and the kids keeping it until either they convince their parents to change it or they are old enough to change it themselves.

It's not a perfect system, but the vast overwhelming majority of the time, it works.

All of you who say the judge was wrong, please answer me this. How did they get in front of the judge, in the first place?

Did the judge force them into the courtroom? They disagreed on the family name(last name) not the Messiah part. If

they can't agree on the family name, what else is wrong with this picture?

It's not that I have a problem with what someone names their child, but it appears that there was disagreement and the

parents took it before the judge. The judge only made a decision. Maybe it should have only been in the family name part,

but I think the moral of the story is:Grow up, parents, before you decide to do stupid things. Unless there is something

else to the story, I'll take the side of the judge on this.

How or why they got in front of the judge matters not if this is true :

NEWPORT, Tenn. (AP) — A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."

She has no right to impose her beliefs on the family or this child. That is what else is wrong with this picture.

Edited by 94user
  • Like 1
At what point does a name become abuse?

Imagine a child being named "Stupid" or "Kick Me Johnson" or what about an overtly offensive name like "N*gga Jones". Any one of those would mean their lives would likely be filled with hurt, regret and ridicule. And I, for one, would change those names above to prevent what would lead to a life of misery for a child.

Emotional abuse, especially for a growing child, can be just as damaging as physical abuse. And names like those above would most assuredly lead to emotional problems.

So I ask, for the sake of asking, at what point would it be ok to change a name? Edited by Dolomite_supafly
  • Like 1

At what point does a name become abuse?

Imagine a child being named "Stupid" or "Kick Me Johnson" or what about an overtly offensive name like "N*gga Jones". Any one of those would mean their lives would likely be filled with hurt, regret and ridicule. And I, for one, would change those names above to prevent what would lead to a life of misery for a child.

Emotional abuse, especially for a growing child, can be just as damaging as physical abuse. And names like those above would most assuredly lead to emotional problems.

So I ask, for the sake of asking, at what point would it be ok to change a name?

That is exactly where I was originally headed. When my wife brought it up tonight that is where she landed on the issue as well. Our only issue was, how long would it take some POS liberal judge to say naming my child a Biblical name such as "Matthew" is unacceptable and re-name him? I know that seems far fetched but think of all the stuff we said that about 10 years ago that is happening right now. I'm in the same ship as you on this but I do have my worries about going somewhere that we can't get back from.

Guest 6.8 AR

How or why they got in front of the judge matters not if this is true :

NEWPORT, Tenn. (AP) — A judge in Tennessee changed a 7-month-old boy's name to Martin from Messiah, saying the religious name was earned by one person and "that one person is Jesus Christ."

She has no right to impose her beliefs on the family or this child. That is what else is wrong with this picture.

Sorry, but it absolutely matters. There are activists judges and there are those who hear cases and make decisions

based on law and precedent. This disagreement was between the parents, and she dealt with it.

Usually, the mother gives a name at the time of birth. I don't know the protocol after that, but, if it made it to a

judge, there is more to this story that you or I do not know. Until then, you or I could be wrong. Placing judgement

on the judge could be premature, also.

Get all the information before you pass judgement.

That is exactly where I was originally headed. When my wife brought it up tonight that is where she landed on the issue as well. Our only issue was, how long would it take some POS liberal judge to say naming my child a Biblical name such as "Matthew" is unacceptable and re-name him? I know that seems far fetched but think of all the stuff we said that about 10 years ago that is happening right now. I'm in the same ship as you on this but I do have my worries about going somewhere that we can't get back from.

Buy the way, my grandmother is a retired school teacher and I remember when I was in the 4th grade her coming home on the 1st day of school that year talking about her new student "Shithead" of course the parents were cute and pronounced it "Shahaawd" but the kid still wrote Shithead. She said it caused him trouble even in the early years.