What do you all think? TN Judge right or wrong?

Guest TankerHC

Guest TankerHC

My opinion. The Judge was wrong. Couple in court to decide what baby's last name would be, then the judge changes his first name. Note that this name is the 4th fastest growing name in popularity according to the SSA. Last year I saw a couple named their kid Satan and the Judge ordered it changed at the request of the grandparents.. That I can agree with simply because that kid would go through hell (Literally, no pun intended) through life. The Messiahs name wasnt Messiah, and Jesus is one of the most popular names among Hispanics. Yea, its pronounced "he'sus" but if JEE'sus" were pronounced by a Hispanic is is pronounced "he'sus".

The Judge put her personal religious beliefs above that of the parents wishes. JMHO

http://news.yahoo.com/tenn-judge-changes-infants-name-messiah-215423538.html

Edited by TankerHC
  • Moderators
That isn't the judges call to make. I don't agree with the Satan name change either, also not the judge's call. Regardless of what any government official's opinion on the matter is, the child's parents have sole right to decide the name of the child.
  • Like 6
Guest TankerHC

Now that I think about it, Chuck is right. No stranger, regardless of what other family members think, should be naming your kid. So if you want to name your kid Beezlebub Pumpkinhead...go right ahead.

NOTE: No offense meant to any members with kids named Beezlebub Pumpkinhead.

I'm not saying right or wrong here but I read a rather extensive article 3-4yrs ago about this very topic. It surprised me but this isn't that uncommon, it happens here in the states from time to time but is very common in many other civilized nations. The way I understood the article was that they are able to get away with it because they twist it to be attempted abuse and i'm not completely upset about it. In a way they are sentencing the child to a childhood of emotional pain and ridicule and in most cases it is only the "parents" cry for attention. I'm against it I guess because at some point some lawyer or judge will use this out of context and I suppose it could eventually be used against a "christian" name just the same. Bottom line is, the judge crossed a line that none of us want crossed for the sake of a child that none of us want hurt. I guess nothing trumps live and let live to me.

Guest travr6

Judge should be removed for this. She clearly has shown that she decides based on her religious beliefs.

The article even states that it is the 4th fastest rising name choice.

So it's not that uncommon.

Edited by travr6
Guest TankerHC

In Iceland you have to name your kid in accordance with their baby name laws and within Norwegian naming guidelines. They actually have a baby naming committee to approve the use of a name and last year a 21 year old Icelandic girl was all over the news because at age 21 the Icelandic Government Baby naming committee decided she couldnt keep her name.

In Germany supposedly they have a law that says your kid has to be recognizeable as male or female by first name. Could have fooled me (Spent almost 12 years there) because I know a guy and 2 women all named Daghmar. But I do know about 30 Klaus's, and about a dozen each Gunther, Marko and Werner's.

There is another country in Western Europe (I cant recall which one it is) they check new babies names against a database to make sure your not using a Royal name.

In Iceland you have to name your kid in accordance with their baby name laws and within Norwegian naming guidelines. They actually have a baby naming committee to approve the use of a name and last year a 21 year old Icelandic girl was all over the news because at age 21 the Icelandic Government Baby naming committee decided she couldnt keep her name.

In Germany supposedly they have a law that says your kid has to be recognizeable as male or female by first name. Could have fooled me (Spent almost 12 years there) because I know a guy and 2 women all named Daghmar. But I do know about 30 Klaus's, and about a dozen each Gunther, Marko and Werner's.

There is another country in Western Europe (I cant recall which one it is) they check new babies names against a database to make sure your not using a Royal name.

These were countries covered in the article I mentioned. I guess that's what happens when you give an inch..

Wait guys,The judge wasn't wrong,the idiot parents couldn't come to an agreement, decided to take it to court AND LEFT IT UP TO THE JUDGE.The judge made a very poor decision. Agreed w everyone beyond poor.if the parents dont like it they can appeal it.

Theres an old joke that makes every lawyer laugh or smile: What do u call a lawyer with an IQ of 3?? Answer: Your honor........

Kills me when 2 people have to go to court for some crap decision to be made.This is as bad as giving the kardashians academy awards.....

• Like 1

Wait guys,The judge wasn't wrong,the idiot parents couldn't come to an agreement, decided to take it to court AND LEFT IT UP TO THE JUDGE.The judge made a very poor decision. Agreed w everyone beyond poor.if the parents dont like it they can appeal it.

Theres an old joke that makes every lawyer laugh or smile: What do u call a lawyer with an IQ of 3?? Answer: Your honor........

Kills me when 2 people have to go to court for some crap decision to be made.This is as bad as giving the kardashians academy awards.....

They couldn't make a decision on the last name from what I read, not the first.

Guest Bonedaddy

I'm all for removal. This is a serious abuse of power that I see far too often, these days. Some of these bozos think they can make up their own laws, as well. I've even seen DA's try that crap, too. The name may suck and it may cause future problems but that is the family's problem to bear and not for a fuggin' powertrippin' judge to decide.

I have serious issue with parents who name their children names that will obviously cause the child emotional, and likely physical, harm. Messiah isn't one of those names but there are plenty of examples out there that a child should never be called. I can see the point of changing a child's name from "Satan" to something else for the welfare of the child but not "Messiah". If it wasn't Michael Jackson's kid "Blanket" would be a name I would change but because he will likely never spend a day in public school it will not be an issue.

Then again, who am I to tell someone else what to call their child. We already have the government trying to tell us how to live every other part of our lives.

• Like 2
I'm all for judging a person who names their kid something stupid because their ego is so large they consider their child to be nothing more than an accessory item. I once worked with a girl whose parents were hippies. They named her Polly; her middle name is Esther. What kinda person makes a joke out of their kid's name?

Yeah, I'm all for judging them because they deserve to be judged. However, it's none of the government's damned business.
  • Like 1

A friend of ours works in the NICU.  You should hear the stories of what parents try to name their kids.  Best one I heard from her was a little girl named... "Deliverytruck"... pronounced... "del li vee trk".

My friend said the attending nurse vetoed that one on the spot.  The parents handed her the paperwork and she looked back at them and said... "All the crap this kid has been through before even leaving the hospital (spent months in NICU), and you wanna name her delivery truck??  Seriously?  Not on my watch."

Likely not the nurse's place to criticize, but as stated, I have zero respect for people who try to name their kids something cute or funny and fail miserably. 

Guest 6.8 AR
If your family name is Smith, it seems to me the
parents of that, who couldn't agree on the last name have little respect for the family. If the can't
agree on the last name and they are arguing over
Wrigley or Spearmint, what are they doing having
children?

I always assumed the last name would be obvious, and the first name would be something
in honor to the child or family member. My name
is fairly straightforward. This naming stuff has
become a reflection of how stupid the parents are. If the parents had a dispute and took it to
the court, more power to that judge.
Seems to have been left in better hands than the
parents.

I think not only should the judge be impeached and removed from the bench...  but needs to go to jail...  this is a clear violation of the 1st Amendment - there can be no question based off of the comments by the Judge, who acted under the color of law.  The 'Judge' should be open to personal liability and should spend a couple of years sitting in a jail cell.

I'm all for judging a person who names their kid something stupid because their ego is so large they consider their child to be nothing more than an accessory item. I once worked with a girl whose parents were hippies. They named her Polly; her middle name is Esther. What kinda person makes a joke out of their kid's name?

Yeah, I'm all for judging them because they deserve to be judged. However, it's none of the government's damned business.

I met a guy called Reefer Doobie. His folks were big hippies.

This judge needs to be removed. I see at least three levels of wrong in what she did and probably could find more without looking too hard.

Edited by tnguy