Discovery "You can get an STD from your dog". (not that way)

Guest TankerHC

Y'know, I have always been completely disgusted by the fools who let animals lick their face. And also those who don't wash their hands after petting or worse, being licked, by the filthy critters. Being that ignorant of cleanliness, and that "loving" of a simple animal, just strikes me as a little... kooky. Just me, though.

Y'know, I have always been completely disgusted by the fools who let animals lick their face. And also those who don't wash their hands after petting or worse, being licked, by the filthy critters. Being that ignorant of cleanliness, and that "loving" of a simple animal, just strikes me as a little... kooky. Just me, though

I guess I am kooky..and disgusting for sure..Our dog sleeps in bed with us..Oh the horror.. :rolleyes: 

and I guess we are just ignorant and filthy...BUT..I rather be with my animals than a judgemental person..because my animals dont judge :)

• Like 7

Try to explain that to your spouse, "Honest Honey, I got it from the dog licking my FACE"! LOL

I caught a really bad case of the "chirpies" from our pet bird and it was really hard to tweet? The wife was madder than a wet hen and wouldn't stop clucking about it...

• Like 2

I'll go out on a limb here and say that my dogs are cleaner than many people I see at Walmart.  

And I have always been completely disgusted by the fools who let people lick their face.  And also those who don't wash after shaking hands or worse, using the bathroom next to other filthy critters. Being that ignorant of cleanliness just strikes me as a little... kooky. Just me, though.

Looks like it's extremely rare, at least in this country, thanks for the heads up though Tanker but at 2 cases per year I'm guessing that I'm more likely to be struck by a bus & lightning at the exact same time.

Now I don't know about you folks, but one of the greatest joys in this world IMHO is "puppy kisses" I don't think they are gross or sick at all, not unless the owner is actually french kissing the dog ...

Then again between myself & all of my kids we've kept all sorts of lizards, frogs, toads, snakes, turtles, aligators, chickens, ferrets, rabbits, parrots, etc all of which can pass salmonila &/or other infectious diseases if not handled properly.

I do have to admit to being somewhat scared of feline aids after reading an article on it, when we took in a stray & starving preg female cat over the winter & I was forced to help deliver one of the kittens who had gotten stuck & she couldn't push out.

I wore latex gloves during the delivery but I still washed & washed, used hand sanitizer, washed some more, more sanitizer, etc, all because I read a news article about feline aids LOL.

Didn't know about goat herpies though .... think I should go get checked out? :)
  • Like 1

Y'know, I have always been completely disgusted by the fools who let animals lick their face. And also those who don't wash their hands after petting or worse, being licked, by the filthy critters. Being that ignorant of cleanliness, and that "loving" of a simple animal, just strikes me as a little... kooky. Just me, though.

I like my dogs better than most humans. They sleep in the bed with us, and are probably cleaner than your average person. Just so you know, that simple animal doesnt wipe its ass, an act that a lot of people do then walk out without washing their hands. Id say your more at risk of catching something from a hand shake then a dog. But Im just kooky and disgusting so carry on.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

• Like 1

Guess I am...

homer_getting_crazy_wallpaper_-_1920x144

When I worked at a grocery store years ago, we got a sort of thin magazine that was some type of trade publication.  I remember one article about how it is impossible to keep contaminants out of foods so government food safety laws simply attempt to limit those contaminants.  I don't remember specific limits but the article talked about how many rat droppings are allowed per x number of pre-packaged muffins, how many mouse or rat parts are allowed per x jars of peanut butter, how many maggots are allowed per X units of some, other products and so on.  As such, I am pretty sure that any factory made/packaged/canned/etc. foods I eat have a strong chance of being a whole lot nastier than my dog's mouth.  Hell, for that matter the things that we KNOW are in many hot dogs, potted meat and so on - as in the actual, intended ingredients - are nastier than what is probably in my dog's mouth.

Now, all that said I have just never liked having a dog lick me in the face and my dog generally does not.  If she is being affectionate, she will lick my forearm (and she sometimes licks the heck out of my forearm for minutes at a time.)  If she is in a really good mood and can't contain herself, she will sometimes go after my ear but she simply does not lick me in the face.  She even sleeps in the bed with me but still never takes the opportunity to lick me in the face.  I don't remember actively 'breaking' her from it but I do remember indicating that I didn't like it and telling her to stop.  She is a pretty smart pooch and - although capable of being willful at times - really has a strong desire to please so I guess she just took the hint and stopped on her own.

One thing I find really funny about the whole, "Dog giving STDs by face licking," thing is that I have heard 'old timers' say that if you have a cut, etc. and let a dog lick it then it will heal more quickly than it would heal just on its own.  I have also noticed that if I have a cut on my arm or hand then some dogs (not just the one I currently have but also other dogs in the past) will be almost obsessive about licking the wound - and it really does seem to help wounds heal faster.

Edited by JAB