TGO Lowers Revisited

MacGyver

• Admin Team

I am assuming there will be nothing special about the upper except the fact that it comes from CMT ; no serial number , no special engraving ? Or are we talking about a billet upper ?

http://www.ar15news.com/2013/06/17/new-cmt-tactical-billet-ar15-upper-receiver/

We're not even sure we'll have anything but the lowers. CMT has talked about maybe putting together some upper options, but that'll be up to them.
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

Guys, temper your expectations about things like matched uppers, sequential serial numbers, etc.  Those things all add excessive overhead to the logistics and were never promised.  Let's be glad we're getting a shot at some special commemorative lowers.  If we can do anything beyond that it's purely up to CMT.

• Like 6

I don't think you'd get a batch buy discount then considering the original design would be altered everytime and plug in a new program for the CNC but I dunno though.

It would depend on the software. I'd think it could push it up a little but, theoretically, it wouldn't need to be much.

• Admin Team

It would depend on the software. I'd think it could push it up a little but, theoretically, it wouldn't need to be much.

The only way this works is with one set range of custom serial numbers that can be sequentially machined.  Anything else takes custom programming of each lower and any economy of scale goes out the window.

The only way this works is with one set range of custom serial numbers that can be sequentially machined.  Anything else takes custom programming of each lower and any economy of scale goes out the window.

So I can't get one with my image engraved on the side? :whistle:

• Like 1

It's not like each lower suddenly has to be hand-made from scratch. Like you say, it's an entry in the software. It could be as simple as typing an entry in a field and hitting "go" or it could be more complicated. With an operation of that scale, it's not like some manual attention won't be required anyway.

Either way, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

• Admin Team

It's not like each lower suddenly has to be hand-made from scratch. Like you say, it's an entry in the software. It could be as simple as typing an entry in a field and hitting "go" or it could be more complicated. With an operation of that scale, it's not like some manual attention won't be required anyway.

Either way, it wouldn't hurt to ask.

People can have anything they like engraved after they take delivery.  I can say with certainty that we're engraving a custom range of serial numbers and that's it on this round. 

CMT is doing us a huge favor by considering doing it at all.

Regarding matched uppers... none of my upper receivers have anything engraved on them. Seems like an off the rack CMT billet upper would match up just fine. That's what I'll wind up doing.

TMF... I'm buying you one of those $4 tools so you don't launch any more springs :) I just use a box cutter

People can have anything they like engraved after they take delivery.  I can say with certainty that we're engraving a custom range of serial numbers and that's it on this round. 

CMT is doing us a huge favor by considering doing it at all.

I won't be messing up the finish after if I get one of these but that's fine. :)

I am going to sit quietly , any billet lower with the TGO art that I can get will satisfy me. Lets just roll this out and pay and be done , and a big thank you to those doing the behind the scenes work. ( MacGyver ) Edited by Threeeighty
  • Like 2