Ran over a Yellow Jacket nest while push mowing today

I've been lucky this year until today, so I go into the woods below my house to shoot my rifles. My Lab Marley follows me and I go hang my target and walk back to the truck to shoot. I shoot my .243 and then go get my .22-250 load it and look to find Marley before I shoot and the instant I saw her she had got into a yellow jackets nest she was covered by about 40 of them suckers and being the good dog she is she comes right to me so I start running away telling her no but she keeps coming I ended up getting stung 4 times I honestly dont think she got stung at all her coat is so thick.
  • Like 1
Went through the same thing back when I was about 17.

I was cutting the grass for my neighbor to help her out after her husband got killed in a motorcycle wreck, was behind her fence mowing by the railroad tracks and started stinging in a few spots. I thought I ran over something like thorns because I had what looked like thorns in a few spots where I was stinging.

Went inside to cool off a bit and then went back out to finish. I mowed the rest of a strip and while I was on the next, I saw them come out of a small hole in the ground.

They tore me up and like you, I had a ton of stings. They were up my pants legs, etc. My other neighbors were laughing their butts off because they seen me running towards the house stripping out of my pants. Lol

So yeah, I know how it feels!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro v2.2

Yall are no fun, park the running mower over the hole, sit back and watch.

I actually thought about doing that. Just park it over the top and let them fly into the blade. But then the memories of being covered in Yellow Jackets came flooding back. Not sure I want to try that one again.
I just got done with my assault. Victory! I sneaked up on the hole. There were about 5-10 of them sitting at the entrance. I got close and they started moving around a bit, so I backed off. I went back in after a minute or so and splashed them with a pint of gas. That knocked them back in the hole and then I hit them with the foaming spray. I got about half a can into the hole. There was no sign of life, ar least not outside. I went back to the garage, grabbed the gas can, and poured another half gallon or so into the hole for good measure. I stomped a few rocks into the entrance to plug it and trap the vapor. The ground caved under my feet. It's a big nest for sure. I'll scope it out tomorrow. If they're dead I'll get a good estimate of the body count.

Taught those little bastards. Sting me once or twice and I'll just run. Sting me 12 times and I'll send your entire family to Yellow Jacket hell.
  • Like 3
I feel your pain. When I was home from school a few summers my mother told me she saw a swarm of bees around the water main in the yard. Naturally I strolled out there with my wasp spray. Turns out they werent wasps or jackets, they were hornets and the spray didnt work. Ended up getting the exterminator out there in his suit. Painful experience. Glad your worked out haha
I got rid of a sizable hornet nest that was in my vinyl siding at the hose faucet with a vacuum cleaner.

Sat on a lawn chair for about 45 minutes of pure entertainment. They kept trying to attack the end of the vacuum wand and got sucked in.

Knew I was winning when they started coming out with their larvae in their jaws towards the end.

There was no other way of getting to them and I knew better than to take the vinyl siding off.

There is a yellow jacket nest somewhere on my property that I need to locate before I stumble into them. See them all over the place.
My 12 year old son ran over a nest this morning while mowing. The little bastards got him 6 times before got in the house. He did bring a couple in wih him on his clothes, which I promptly destroyed. When I went outside, the mower was in a fog of yellow jackets. I hosed them down with Spectricide to knock them out of the air, found the hole in the dirt they were trying to get back in to, and dumped about half a gallon of gasoline down it. Been on the hunt for more nests since.

I just ran over one about 30 minutes ago.  As soon as I felt the slightest sting I knew what happened.  I swatted my arm and took off running.  About 30 feet away from my lawnmower I turned around and saw a swarm of them around my mower.  I waited about 10 minutes for them to die down and I carefully made it over to my mower.  I grabbed it and started running.  Thankfully I only got hit once.